New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello need ideas for my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Default Hello need ideas for my car

Hello My names Joseph and I own a 2001 Monte Carlo LS I really want to make it look and sound mean but I live on a budget right now but I really want some ideas on cheap simple ways to get a better sound out of my car something that sounds like a muscle car, and just a little more extra power I'm currently thinking about adding a weapon R short ram air intake as well any ideas I would gladly appreciate them?

-Thanks Joseph

Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 AM

Hi `Joseph & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

How many miles on your 01 Monte ?

Explore the MCF & you will find many mod's that you can
do to your Monte. A "CAI" is always a great mod.

Is your Monte now in top condition ? Engine Tuned/maintained ? Good Tires/Brakes/etc...
Performance/Sounds are great, but a reliable/safe ride should be first priority especially `if you are on a limited budget like the most of `us.

Check back on your thread to see what our expert Member's post & advise....

Good Luck & EnJoy the MCF

Last edited by Space; 01-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monteboy2k1
Hello My names Joseph and I own a 2001 Monte Carlo LS I really want to make it look and sound mean but I live on a budget right now but I really want some ideas on cheap simple ways to get a better sound out of my car something that sounds like a muscle car, and just a little more extra power I'm currently thinking about adding a weapon R short ram air intake as well any ideas I would gladly appreciate them?

-Thanks Joseph
From that I understand, the "Weapon R" is a joke. You would be better off buying some PVC pipe from Home Depot. One of the issues with the Weapon R is that is is openly exposed to hot engine air, when what you want is cold, outside air. The Wizaird from ZZPerformance - Go Fast... Not Broke | 3800 | Ecotec | Sonic/Cruze is supposed to be one of the BEST cold air intakes.

You can add L67 coils (these are from a 3800 SuperCharged), they don't do much, but if you score them for about $30 total, not bad.

There is a TON of info here, just start poking around

And Welcome to MCF!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM

build your own cai and save the money for the exhaust, there is a how to somewhere herefor the coi if you need it. Go to a exhaust shop, tell them to cut out the resonator and muffler and install a flowmaster 40 or whatever you like. did the same thing to my siverado for under 200 including buying the muffler.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Were pleased you have chose to join the forum. So much information to be gleaned from the archives and our members. Your going to love it...
I have a Brand new Weapon R ram air intake with the moisture protective sock and ram air intake hose, mounting rings. Ended up not using it as the build went a different direction. Interested??
For a exhaust sound modification, have you watched any videos online for Cherry Bomb mufflers or Glass Pack mufflers? Might be a low cost option to look into.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the Forum

Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

Not a whole lot of mods that are specific to the 3400, but you can always throw some mufflers and cai on and make for some decent upgrades. welcome & good luck

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Welcome! Plenty of ideas to be found here on the forums, both mechanical and cosmetic.

For our 3400's there really isn't much to do that hasn't already been said. Get yourself a good CAI, Wizaird or building your own from any auto parts store are two great options. Depends on your wallet and your how much you like modding yourself.

As for exhaust there are lots of possibilities. The previous owner of my Monte had the resonator replaced with a "Turbo Tube", as my exhaust guy calls it. I left that in place and removed my muffler and had him add a Y pipe, giving me dual exhaust with a glasspack essentially. I love it, nice grumble at idle and great tone when you rev it or accelerate. Most people prefer Flowmasters or some generic muffler similar to it, but I've always found a glasspack gives a much more enjoyable rumble when placed on a V6. It's really up to what you prefer.

Quick Reply: Hello need ideas for my car