New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello, looking to start mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 PM
1 Year Member
Default Hello, looking to start mods

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and was looking for some starter advice for mods.
I have an 03 Monte Carlo SS with 3800 series 2 engine (170k miles, if that matters). I've got between $500-$1000 to begin my modding with. Would like to eventually use the ZZP top swap kit although that likely wont happen until next years taxes. Just wondering if there were any recommended places to start to eventually upgrade to the top swap kit. If anybody could point me in the right direction with maybe a top 5 list or something so i know where to start that would be phenomenal.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum! There is a general mods list I cant find cause im on my phone but im sure another member will post it. For $1000 id suggest down pipe from zzp, resonator delete and hv3 insert from zzp to start. Then there are some other minor things you can do to add some hp. However any extra hp is gonna kill the trans so invest in a trans built by Triple edge performance. The best route for these cars is a turbo or traditional top swap (taking the top end of a supercharged grand prix or the like and replacing your top end) these cars make some good power with a little knowledge and some capital.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to mcf!! I highly suggest against the zzp ssm90 top swap. There a good kit but way over priced and there pulley system is different than a traditional sc setup so no parts are interchangable.

If it were me and I had 500-1000 I would be buying a used "top swap" off of a supercharger 3800 engine and bolting it onto yours. There kits can be found used online for 300-500 depending on condition etc.

Second option would be save the money and eventually buy a turbo kit.

Third option buy a wet system nitrous kit for some added hp when you want it (I suggest against this simply because I hate nitrous)

Fourth option save the money for a trans upgrade/rebuild because not long after you increase the hp your gonna kill the trans.

No matter what "performance mods" you install if you stick N/A your not gonna gain hardly anything. All the gains with these cars some from boost (sc or turbo)

Last edited by turbo monte; 02-25-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum, I found a link on here that has the general mod plan for the L36 engine:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...n-3800s-10942/
This should have some good info on what you are looking to do and you can look more in the monte carlo repair help section for more info on the top swap.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

SLaFlame:
Welcome to the forum!
Theres plenty of great info here as well as some Great Members!
I hope you find the info your looking for and it looks like you have gotten some great info thus far!
What part of Michigan you from? I am also from Michigan as are quite a few other members on the forum! Please post some pics when your able of your Monte. Come join the conversation in the Members Daily Blog!
Keep us informed as you begin your Mods with pics if possible!
Welcome to the MCF Family!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
1 Year Member

OK, so first I should save for a transmission upgrade.
I found a used supercharger kit on Craigslist for $400.
After a transmission upgrade and top swap I should start looking at the downpipes, cold air intake, etc. Correct?

Regarding the top swap. My old timer does all the mechanical and body work on my vehicles for me and is skeptical about swapping just the top end of the engine and tells me the bottom end won't hold up. I've told him its a common thing to do (from browsing the forums here). Just looking for some clarity on this issue.

Thanks again gents

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

The stock bottom ends of these things are tanks. Most the upgrades are done on the top end.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SLaFlame
OK, so first I should save for a transmission upgrade.
I found a used supercharger kit on Craigslist for $400.
After a transmission upgrade and top swap I should start looking at the downpipes, cold air intake, etc. Correct?

Regarding the top swap. My old timer does all the mechanical and body work on my vehicles for me and is skeptical about swapping just the top end of the engine and tells me the bottom end won't hold up. I've told him its a common thing to do (from browsing the forums here). Just looking for some clarity on this issue.

Thanks again gents
You are correct!
Regarding the top swap...
I too had to learn that a top swap is something very feaseable besides the mileage.. These 3800 motors are almost bullit proof! were talking 300 to 400 thousand mile motors... That's right the reliability is huge! Like the old Iron block motors ... These lower ends stay very tight and reliable... Like your Mechanic I had to learn this for myself..after joining this forum and hearing seeing Monte Carlos with these kinds of mioles on them blew my mind. The 2 downfalls of our Monte's is the Plastic elbows used in the cooling system (They run off the belt tensioner) a set of aluminum ones will cure that problem and as previously mentioned the transmissions...Other than those 2 items... There pretty much bullit proof!

I would recommend getting a cold air system thru CAI.
A lot of our exhaust mods are generally, Changing out the downpipe, eliminating the resonator and then its personal preference as far as mufflers and the sound you wish to accomplish. I went with Accelerator chambered mufflers... Great sound at idle, no rasping, and also no droneing..But running down the road it doesn't sound like your typical V-6!

I hope I answered your concerns!
Were here to help!

What part of Michigan you from?
I'm downriver ...

We are planning a Meet and Greet for our Michigan Members and surrounding areas.
Feel free to come join us if your able!
click the link below for the info!
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...ht=meet+greets

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-25-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the bottom end is nothing to worry about, you have a higher compression bottom end compared to the sc cars so you will make more power than a factory sc car with the same setup. now with that said you will need a few supporting mods while top swapping do to the higher compression that the factory sc cars didnt need. first is either a plog for the front manifold from zzp and a down pipe from zzp of just buy headers and be done with it. headers will support more power than a plog and DP and IMO look better. (headers come with front and rear headers and a downpipe)

second you will want colder t-stat and plugs and you could make your own CAI if you wanted to save some money.

as far as the trans goes i suggest calling dave at triple edge performance, he is the 4t65-e gu-ru and will hook you up with an awesome trans build.

hope this helps a little more any other questions just ask

Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 AM
1 Year Member

StumpMI, I grew up in Muskegon and now I'm in Hesperia which is roughly an hour north of there. I did see the meeting post for Michigan Montes but being that far out date wise I can't lay down a commitment just yet. But I would like to go and see what its all about.

Quick Reply: Hello, looking to start mods