New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

EGR Valve

Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Red face EGR Valve

New to the site, just needed a quick question answered.
02 Monte Carlo 3.4 throwing the EGR code, I took the valve off and clean it, next day the light went off but it still runs at only about 70%.( then this morning light popped back on) How would I know if I need to replace the valve now or if it is vacuum leak in the line?

I can fix it just not a chick that can diagnose the issues.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greetings and Salutations!
Welcome to the best forum on the Planet!
Lots of great info and Members here.

I had a friend That his did the exact same thing...
He ended up replaceing the EGR and hasnt had trouble with it since!

Im sure someone else may chime in and add some other advice!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM

thank you! The car only has 82k on it and no rust or rot anywhere near the valve or housing so i figured that I will have to replace it .. boo, there goes 70 bucks.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK first off that's hot that you not only know what an EGR is, but can take one off too.

Secondly I'm not at all knowledgeable about the 3400. So with that in mind if you can get me a part number or picture of it, I know I have two of them sitting in my garage I could ship you for half that if they're compatible.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On the 3400, you have a couple of things you can do. To inspect for vac leaks, get a can of starting fluid, with the car idling, mist it around the engine. You want to listen for ANY spot hat you mist the starting fluid and hear the idle change (it means the fluid got sucked in at a leak point). Once you narror it down, replace/repair the problem.
There's not too many vacuum lines/connections, so there should not be much causing an issue. Look for signed of dry rotted/loose connections on the vac lines.

Now, for the EGR.... Pending you have NO vac leaks, do the following:
- Inspect the metal tube from the rear exhaust manifold going up to the EGR. Try to ensure it's not damaged. Odds are, even if it is, it will not throw an EGR code, but if it is, replace it.
- Next, ensure the wiring is not damaged.
- Remove the EGR. Get carb clean and some brushes. Spray the carb clean into the passage that goes from where the EGR sits into the UIM. It's not uncommon for that passage to collect a bunch of crap and get plugged up. I've found it BEST to remove the throttle body. You can get a good view of it's exit point that is behind the throttle body and clean the crap out some more. When starting the car, don't be alarmed if it has some minor starting issues (takes a little while to burn out the carb clean).
- I have not done much with the more modern digital EGRs (the old 3 solonoid EGRs in on the early 3100's you could disassemble and clean). On your's, try setting it upside done and soak it with carb clean. If you have any brushes that can help scrub the gunk there, bonus.

- Re-assemble, clear codes. If the car throws any further codes, get the actual code number and post it here.