New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Can my SS learn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Default Can my SS learn?

You fellas are great. I bought the Haynes manual and search the threads on this site so I should be able to cut down on the dumb questions some but sometimes answered questions lead to more questions.

It seems there is a cam sensor and a crank sensor and from these two data points ignition timing is established? If over time the timing chain stretches/wears and allows a couple of degrees/minutes of slop, does the PCM recognize this and adjust accordingly. Does the PCM "think", if you will?

From reading here it seems there two ways to "tune":
1) Go to a dealership mechanic or other competent shop
2) Buy the hardware/softwear and do it yourself

If that is the case

1) will they allow custom tunes or will they only work to an industry standard.
2) I guess you must really have to know what you're doing.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your time and willingness to share your knowledge and experience.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Default >Welcome<

Hi Bdorrman & Welcome to our Monte Carlo Family.

What year Monte Carlo do you have ? How many miles ? Do you have any modifications ?

Please check back to see what our expert tech's post on your questions. Yes, your auto computer can be reprogramed or re-flashed.

What are your goals ?

Wish you safe & happy miles in your Monte > EnJoy

Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bdorrman
You fellas are great. I bought the Haynes manual and search the threads on this site so I should be able to cut down on the dumb questions some but sometimes answered questions lead to more questions.

It seems there is a cam sensor and a crank sensor and from these two data points ignition timing is established? If over time the timing chain stretches/wears and allows a couple of degrees/minutes of slop, does the PCM recognize this and adjust accordingly. Does the PCM "think", if you will?

From reading here it seems there two ways to "tune":
1) Go to a dealership mechanic or other competent shop
2) Buy the hardware/softwear and do it yourself

If that is the case

1) will they allow custom tunes or will they only work to an industry standard.
2) I guess you must really have to know what you're doing.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your time and willingness to share your knowledge and experience.
on your timing set there is a slack adjuster that keeps slack out of the timing set so slop doesnt happen.

the dealership can not custom tune a vehicle they work with factory specs only. if you want a custom tune you need to either buy the tuner (hp tuners or dhp) or buy a mail order tune from overkill, intense, zzp etc.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks `John for your post & sharing your knowledge with member's

Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

With the Diablo tuners you can save off the factory tune so when you take your car to the dealer you can restore it back

Diablew offers a performance tune and can be done over you computer just a file transfer

Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
With the Diablo tuners you can save off the factory tune so when you take your car to the dealer you can restore it back

Diablew offers a performance tune and can be done over you computer just a file transfer

Thanks Tadcaster, this looks like my next area of research. Not because I'm planning to put a tune on my MC, I don't know what I want to do with it yet but because I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about in that 2nd paragraph. Off to Google!