New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

breaking upper mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Default breaking upper mounts

help needed...keep breaking the upper mount on passenger side the mount is bolted to the intake by the coil paks have broken 3..all mounts are new ...what could be the problem here?????? 2000 pace car editon. car only has 57,ooo miles total beginning to think these 3.8 seris 2 motors suck,also have coolent leak sometimes oil trade a nice vette for this beautiful red turd..other then these things it runs great had to 135mph so far needs more power but skeptal about putting money into a problematic car..turbos likely

Old 12-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you probably over tight it that's why it breaked. i believe on the 2000-2003?? they are aluminum or non metal. if you can find one at the junk yard off a 04 impala or monte that would work. the grand prix and buick regal should work also not sure what year tho. i think 2000 plus. have to be from a N/A SC 3800 motor. on the driver's side the mount is aluminium too so becareful not to over tight that too cuz it will break, but if you do break it pm me i have bunches of spare one lol.

for the coolant leaks can you see where it's leaking from? my GUESS is the coolant elbows. replaced mine at 30k miles.

Last edited by nemesis; 12-19-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Mine just broke yesterday. Anyone know where I can get a cast iron mount for each side? I've heard they make cast iron ones, is this true lol? I might as well replace both if I can find a set.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

The cast iron mount comes off of the supercharger grand prix I know for a fact. The cast iron mount also is the coil pack bracket and u won't break it lol. Its easy to swap out so you dont need to worry about that being a hard job to do. Try and find 1 at the junk yard and if no luck post up a wanted ad on the forum here or on club gp and I'm sure you will find 1. As for the driver side I don't think they ever made a cast iron mount for that side....

Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
The cast iron mount comes off of the supercharger grand prix I know for a fact. The cast iron mount also is the coil pack bracket and u won't break it lol. Its easy to swap out so you dont need to worry about that being a hard job to do. Try and find 1 at the junk yard and if no luck post up a wanted ad on the forum here or on club gp and I'm sure you will find 1. As for the driver side I don't think they ever made a cast iron mount for that side....
Awesome, thanks! I'm gonna try a parts yard tomorrow if not I'll just order one online. Found a few places that sell them.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member

Your welcome. I also recommend going to a hard ware store and getting a little bit bigger bolts that have a regular bolt head on them for the coil pack bolts because I had issues with the Allen coil pack bolts stripping out. Its easy to do just drill the bracket for the bigger bolts and then get the right size tap and tap the threads in and your good to go.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member

I can take a pic of my coil pack bracket with the bigger coil pack bolts if u want me to. I don't remember what size I used thou....

Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 AM

3 Year Member

Your welcome. I also recommend going to a hard ware store and getting a little bit bigger bolts that have a regular bolt head on them for the coil pack bolts because I had issues with the Allen coil pack bolts stripping out. Its easy to do just drill the bracket for the bigger bolts and then get the right size tap and tap the threads in and your good to go.
Okay sounds good. I'll look into it, assuming that I can get a mount tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 AM

3 Year Member

I can take a pic of my coil pack bracket with the bigger coil pack bolts if u want me to. I don't remember what size I used thou....
Yeah a pic would be great if you don't mind, thanks again

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

WOW! I just read post #1. OP makes it sound like he's got a lemon, I'll take this baby off you hands cheap

Seriously....
- Mount may be breaking due to being over tightened. They are cast mounts. I think GM has a later design of that mount (as I think my '04 is different then your '01). Could try getting a salvage one from a later W-bod with a 3800 and put it in (pending I am right about the possible design change).
- Coolant leak? Any ideas where? If not, get a radiator pressure tester (from a loan-a-tool at the parts store), with the car cold, pump it up to about 13lbs of pressure, and inspect the engine. Plastic coolant elbows are common to fail on these sadly. They are about $5-$10 from the Dorman rack at the parts store and roughly a 30 minute DIY. Second common failure is the lower intake gaskets. Again, same test should help determine where the leak is.
- Oil leak. Again, any idea where?

Hope this was of some help.

Quick Reply: breaking upper mounts