New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

97 Monte - Issue with Some Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 07:05 PM
Default 97 Monte - Issue with Some Lights not working

Hey all,

Seeking some advice about a weird issue. My headlights stopped working overnight, after my battery discharged due to a "slow leak". Charged the battery at AutoZone and put back in the car, then replaced the battery entirely, car starts, however I no longer have Dash Lights, Headlights (and High Beams), interior lights. I have daytime running lights, turn signals, brake lights, trunk lights.

Checked the Fuses in the under hood boxes and passenger door, none appear blown but could use some advice on which ones that I might check as a second opinion.

AutoZone recommended a Headlight Relay, but had none in stock and didn't know where it would be. I went to a Chevy dealer and was basically laughed out of the service bay for asking for help.

Linking Oreily, as its in stock near me of the relay they recomended.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...0#applications

Any advice on where that relay is at? Or what else I should check?

Thanks in advance
Nick

Old 12-04-2022, 03:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Those dealer guys are STUPIDD and that's there defense for being ignorant

Originally Posted by Osnick
Hey all,

Seeking some advice about a weird issue. My headlights stopped working overnight, after my battery discharged due to a "slow leak". Charged the battery at AutoZone and put back in the car, then replaced the battery entirely, car starts, however I no longer have Dash Lights, Headlights (and High Beams), interior lights. I have daytime running lights, turn signals, brake lights, trunk lights.

Checked the Fuses in the under hood boxes and passenger door, none appear blown but could use some advice on which ones that I might check as a second opinion.

AutoZone recommended a Headlight Relay, but had none in stock and didn't know where it would be. I went to a Chevy dealer and was basically laughed out of the service bay for asking for help.

Linking Oreily, as its in stock near me of the relay they recomended.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...0#applications

Any advice on where that relay is at? Or what else I should check?

Thanks in advance
Nick
They don't have a clue what to do that's why they laughed.
I am attaching photos from my service manual. 1999. But it. Has to be similar.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member

When you reinstalled the battery you may have messed up a relay someplace. Sometimes you can check Youtube for the issue repair help.
I would guess it could be a bad ground maybe they will mess with your system. there are few inline fuses in the car one is inside the console under the gear selector runs up to the Cig lighter. that one is a crazy one. I am going to add a few more pages from the Service manual. They will give you what you need to check for the repairs. I don't have the picture of the under hood. Sometimes the fuse may look good but is not so replace them to make sure.
Parts for this could be difficult to get but the salvage yards are a good source. Monte and Lumina are compatible. After you remove the fuse lid under the hood take a photo of it with the fuses inside so you can reference that if you visit a Salvage yard.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member