New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2003 monte carlo l67 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM

not sure what to say on the pcm... you'll definitely need a tune, and a hell of a tune at that... i wrote mine myself and it took me 6 hours in tinytuner and HPT initially to get the car running plus probably 6 more for really dialing it in/getting it to act right

the security system is quite a goddamnmother****ingsonofabitch excuse my language but it's true to the n'th degree

also when you get the car running make sure your radiator fans turn on when they should, the security system can prevent the fans from enabling, and when you have issues with the car quitting and not starting after any moderate boostage, it's not the fuel pump its the tune, there's a max MAP setting in the tune, but it's not in HPT only in TinyTuner... ya it sucks

in all honesty i would try to get a canned tune from a vendor, because at least then most of this would be irrelevant

motor swapping my monte was ten times harder to to get running than the handful of prix's i've helped swap, all because of the security and the fact that i had to use the n/a OS as a base

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-16-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003L67SS
not sure what to say on the pcm... you'll definitely need a tune, and a hell of a tune at that... i wrote mine myself and it took me 6 hours in tinytuner and HPT initially to get the car running plus probably 6 more for really dialing it in/getting it to act right

the security system is quite a goddamnmother****ingsonofabitch excuse my language but it's true to the n'th degree

also when you get the car running make sure your radiator fans turn on when they should, the security system can prevent the fans from enabling, and when you have issues with the car quitting and not starting after any moderate boostage, it's not the fuel pump its the tune, there's a max MAP setting in the tune, but it's not in HPT only in TinyTuner... ya it sucks

in all honesty i would try to get a canned tune from a vendor, because at least then most of this would be irrelevant

motor swapping my monte was ten times harder to to get running than the handful of prix's i've helped swap, all because of the security and the fact that i had to use the n/a OS as a base
The forum would be a better place without that language.

A swap shouldn't be hard at all... with the other pcm.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM

sorry.... ptsd from the evil security system

then comes the issue of needing the BCM as well. and then you'll need the trans tables to be swapped, and you may even need the key from the other vehicle with the bcm/vcm combo.... monte's cannot be simply pcm swapped, they're not prix's where you can just disable the security and call it a day

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MONTE2000SS
Hey do you guys know some of the problems I'm gonna run into I have a 2000 ss and I'm gonna go get my heads tomar so please fill me in and did you ever get you car running...what PCM are you guy using?..please help sorry for the hijack but can't find someone to talk to that's done it
I told you exactly what to do in the thread you made.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 AM

Lol yes! got the car running i did a case learn by switching the key to run and on for ten minutes then to off for ten seconds an then repeat about 5 times then zoom zoom haha thiss engine is so bad *** i may not be the fastest but its alot more then my old 3400 only issue i had was with my new radiator can i use my old radiator with the L67?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by oscar sanchez
Lol yes! got the car running i did a case learn by switching the key to run and on for ten minutes then to off for ten seconds an then repeat about 5 times then zoom zoom haha thiss engine is so bad *** i may not be the fastest but its alot more then my old 3400 only issue i had was with my new radiator can i use my old radiator with the L67?
that process is for the passlock security relearn, good to hear it's running though a real case learn would be advisable for best performance
and yes you can run the stock radiator with the new engine, i run the same one as you and i don't have any issues, but i will swap mine out this summer for the larger one

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-18-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 AM

i thought that was the case learn? how do i do a real case learn? also does anyone have any problems with the air vents and blower not working right? mines stuck on the upper vents the range doesnt work

Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by oscar sanchez
i thought that was the case learn? how do i do a real case learn? also does anyone have any problems with the air vents and blower not working right? mines stuck on the upper vents the range doesnt work
to do a case learn you need a tuner or you'll have to take it to a shop with a good scantool, and on the vents they are still vacuum driven on the 03, did you hook the third vacuum line up to the vacuum tree, the one that runs off the the left side of the bay when you're standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay

if you did hook it up you may have damaged/unhooked the line somewhere when you put the engine in

Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM

oh ok, wow what vacuum line? can you explain where it is and where to hook it up at

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM

alright, there's a vacuum tree on the top of the blower, the big hose goes to the brake booster, then one goes to the bypass actuator, and the one i'm talking about goes in between those two and runs the vacuum based air controls, the vacuum line comes from the passenger side but i dont remember exactly where it comes from

Attached Thumbnails 2003 monte carlo  l67 swap-vac-line.jpg  

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 04-19-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 monte carlo l67 swap