NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Suggestions for a MCF Fantasy League

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Suggestions for a MCF Fantasy League

So on NASCAR.com the Fantasy team works by having given you so much money and pick hte drivers you can with that money. Each drivers have a value, and you get the points that that driver earned for each race and it all adds up into a points system and you get a "fantasy champion"

Here is my proposal. We pick 3 drivers per weekend, and you get the points for those 3 drivers. You don't have to pick them based on money or merit or anything like that... you just pick 3 drivers. They have to be submitted 1 hour before the green flag.

For instance, I had Denny Hamlin, Joey Logano, and Greg Biffle this week. I didn't do to well at Homestead

Denny Hamlin earned 121 points, Joey Logano earned 46 points, and Greg Biffle earned 134 points. None of these three led a lap.

For my efforts, I earned 301 points this week. Brent beat the **** out of me. He picked all of his guys in the top 10, Edwards, Johnson, and Biffle.

Edwards earned 195 points, Johnson 175, and Biffle 134. He earned 504 points, plus when we get into the bonus system that I have listed here later, he gets 10 bonus points under my system for calling last place, for a total of 514 points this week.

Also, as for bonus points... since you'll easily be getting 300-400 points a week, 5 bonus points doesn't go a long way. So I propose 10 bonus points for anyone who can call the last place driver, and 10 bonus points for anyone who can call the number of cautions PERFECTLY, no points for the closest, you have to get it PERFECTLY, if you called 7 cautions and there were 8, sorry, you lost. Also, if you can call the top 10 breakdown perfectly, that's 10 points. If you call 4 Ford's, 4 Chevrolets, and 2 Dodges, and there are 4 Ford's, 4 Chevrolets, and 2 Toyota's, sorry, you didn't get it. So there is an opportunity for 30 bonus points each week, but they're hard to get. Brent would get 10 bonus points from Homestead for calling last place, he's pretty good at that one.

And as you through the year, we will keep a running tally of hte points standings. I think between the few of us who are in on this all of hte time, we can keep up with one another. So this is the system I propose, and anyone who wants to submit suggestions is free to do so and we will work out a system by Daytona. Is this system too complicated?

So there are a few tricks to figure out. What do we do with non-points races, the All Star race and the Bud Shootout. Also, if your driver earns a penalty for cursing on the air, or his car is found illegal, do you lose the points since you had that driver? Also, do we want to try to go all year? Should we reset the points every 9 or 12 races so new people can join in mid year? Do we want to try to go 26 races and reset for the chase? Do we want a bonus for anyone who can call the champion entering the chase, by race 5? Give your ideas!

Also, I'm willing to step up and keep an eye on this thing and tally the points. Just come up with a system and I'm willing to keep up with it and everyone participating can make sure I keep ti fair, and Space is always here to watch after it.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 11-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM

..Hi `Duane, I love your idea's and your dedication to create a fantasy for our membership...

I know that we don't have to many participating member's presently in the MCF NASCAR Thread, but I think with your vast knowledge of the sport that it could become a popular place for member's to get involved and enjoy.

I enjoy keeping up with NASCAR, but when I submit my picks, it's more of a guess on who I'd like to win, more then indepth knowledge of the `stat's of drivers & teams.

I support your proposal 100% "Nothing Ventured - Nothing Gained"

I hope member's noticed your Thread posts and submit their input to your suggestion...We have approximately 90 days until the Daytona 500 to plan/create MCF Fantasy NASCAR : )

`Duane, thanks always for your dedication & contributions to our Monte Carlo Family Forum ~> 4-Real $ure : )

Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We should do one with MCF members cars! LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I'd most def wanna be a apart of this. I usually don't get a chance to post on these NASCAR threads very often but I watch as many races as possible. You should've seen me these past couple races with being scared for Jimmie not winning, I was frantic! lol but now that he has won 5 in a row, I can start developing a more in-depth plan of my next monte =)

Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know how I ever missed this thread, but I did totally miss it Duane!!! Sounds like you've given this lots of thought and I'll be happy to play any game. It may really add to interest in the Nascar thread and to Nascar in general. I've always maintained that the basic principle to enjoying racing is 2 things: You have to want someone (or more then one) to win and you have to want somebody to lose. Brittany, for example, probably would post more in the Nascar thread and follow Nascar closer if she had some vested interest - like the prestigious MCF Nascar Championship at stake!!!

The only real flaw in the suggested points system I see is that there is no weight for correctly picking the order of the top 3, most specifically winning races. With your suggestion Duane, I would have scored the same points at Homestead had I picked Jimmie to win, Carl second and Bifle third. Not to toot my horn too much (but a little), my picks really rocked that one cause I also picked the winner. I have given this thought, but not come up with the scoring solution. A simple multiplier wouldn't work before it too much of a bonus to simply x3 for first, x2 for second, etc. Maybe something like an extra 50pts. for correctly calling 1st, 30pts. for second, 20 for 3rd - you follow?

I'm only being picky cause I really do want to do this right. Obviously a bunch of complicated math involved which not to many people would be interested in doing but it shouldn't be too tough with the few people on here that would be into it. Complicated rules poorly enforced will make it more Nascar-ish.

I like anyone getting full penalty points for any driver they have picked - including last place! If MacDowell (my favorite for last) get caught with an illegal engine and assessed a 150pt penalty and I picked him then I burn for those points. It would be the job of other forum members to "bust my *****" for running the illegal engine.

I would suggest that non-point races are just that, just like in Nascar, and do not contribute to the on going pool. They carry there own bragging rights (eg MCF Nascar All-Star Champion sounds highly coveted to me) and may attract other members who haven't been "in" all season!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm still thinking about something with the Chase....

Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM

5 Year Member

Well I thought about a way to give one credit for calling 1) 2) and 3) in the correct order, but I think that's just getting too complicated. It could take longer to score and make the system more complicated to understand.

I don't know how most NASCAR fantasy leagues handle a penalty. Some have money at stake, and when that happens, the guy who won on Sunday could have to give it back mid week. So I do'nt know what to make of penalties.

As far as a chase, I'm thinking why don't we just reset every 9 weeks (maybe divide the last 18 to 8 and 10 so we reset when the chase resets) and just start from scratch? This way, we could have more winners and allow people to join in mid season.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM

5 Year Member

We may be able to put suggestions up to a vote before we start the season out. Plus, since I'm thinking that maybe we should reset ever 9 or 12 races so that we have more winners and more opportunities for new people to get involved (kind of sounds like something Brian France would do with the real NASCAR, doesn't it?), maybe we can put a set of rules in place, and near the end of a segment, figure out what we like and don't like, and make changes for the next segment until we get this thing working right (Sounds like the real NASCAR, doesn't it?)

As for your idea Brent in bonus points for calling the correct order, how about we do something like I have proposed for the top 10 break down and number of cautions? If you can predict accurately the order your 3 drivers will compete, that's an additional 10-20 points, or whatever we decide. For example, if you called Edwards, Johnson, and Biffle at Homestead, those drivers finisehd in that order (Edwards ahead of Johnson, and Johnson ahead of Biffle.) Since you got that right, that's bonus points. The drivers don't have to finish 1-2-3, because tha'ts nearly impossible to call, but you can get bonus points for calling your 3 in order. So if you're picks for 1) 2) and 3) finish say, 4th, 8th, and 10th, then that's bonus points. However, if 1) 2) and 3) finish say, 5th, 3rd, and 9th, then you lose. Another winner take all system?

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 12-01-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LadyT has been in the solstice forum nascar fantasy league for several years now. She won last year. They only pick one driver each week. That keeps things simple. That would be my suggestion.

I'm game!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks Wayne. One pick can get you in trouble too. If you're one guy wrecks, you're really up the creek without a paddle for the week. It's really tough at Daytona and Talladega. But that's just like the real NASCAR world too.

The way the official league works on NASCAR.com is you're given so much money and each driver is assigned a value, and you buy drivers. Three drivers gives you more opportunity... if you're one guy messes up, you've got two more.

But I value your opinion. I'm thinking I may put everything up to votes around the first of the year. I wish Brent would come back around and weigh in.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a MCF Fantasy League