NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Please Tell Me This Is Not the New Points System...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Please Tell Me This Is Not the New Points System...

RUmor going out is that NASCAR has a new points system... well the Fantasy Team thing has really changed up.

http://www.nascar.com/video/preview/...own/index.html

First off, this rewards a sandbagger... you don't want to be the pole sitter. It's better to qualify 15-20th and just climb to the front. Where you finish hardly makes a difference... it's all about leading laps, and running fast laps, and passing cars. What the flip is this?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well most of that pertains to their fantasy league scoring - and its pretty complex. But there seems to be a lot of rumour about them actually simplifying the rules with a 1-43 points thing. They have yet to announce the official 2011 rules and scoring yet

Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM

5 Year Member

I hope so. This isn't about picking a winner. This is about picking a sand bagger like a Carl Edwards, a Matt Kenseth, or a Denny Hamlin who usualy don't qualify well and get to the front, and then picking a guy who charges hard, runs fast laps, and wins the race. It loosk like the guy who wins won't be the big points getter. This is just stupid in my opinion. If this is how it was going to work, I'd hand the reigns over to you and 'Space because I'm done with it.

A 43-1 points system rewards consistency more, which I like, but bonus points in the form of leading laps needs to be adjusted accordingly. The current system has separations of 5 points, 4 points, and 3 points after like 15th place or something.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Ok, `Duane, this is not the new points system
"Quitter never win"
4-Sure

Change is difficult for many
"Don't worry, be happy"
Hi `Duane, I really appreciate the time/thoughts
that you & Brent have put into attempting to create
a system for our Member's to be involved in the NASCAR
season. I suggest that we just keep it simple & easy for all.

Pick Top 3 Drivers in each Race

Win/Place/Show

3 points if you pick winner
2 points if you pick 2nd place
1 point if U pick 3rd
that's it.

Winner Member with most points @ the end of the season
gets the trophy
That's all 4 now..
Your turn : )
__________________________________________________ ______
Bonus
Cowboy

The cowboy's silhouette makes sense with two different interpretations. Can you flip it back and forth?

Last edited by Space; 01-20-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM

New look for fantasy

Need something to rev your motors? Try out NASCAR Fantasy Live, our newest game, and get ready for real-time updates. Fein, Kimm and Estes offer lineup suggestions.

Games: NASCAR Fantasy Live | Fantasy Face-Off | More: Drivers to watch in 2011
Daytona
Cloudy 48°
Forecast

Close to 40 teams expected at testing -*Oh, Cowboy isn't happy. R U guys on `Drugs or ZOmething ?

Teams prepared to gather data on cars, new surface at Daytona.
Comments
Fan Fest appearances

For NASCAR, it all starts with Daytona

Caraviello: Time to begin anew, which means trip to one special place.
Comments
Order Daytona tickets

Nadeau to serve as coach for Earnhardt

Rookie Jeffrey to get boost from former Cup veteran on, off track.
Comments
Earnhardt Truck stats

Steve Wallace set for Daytona 500 debut

Fourth member of his racing family to run the 500, setting track mark.
Comments
Hornish's slate limited

Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I kinda like the idea they have for scoring their fantasy league. I think the idea is to reward odds-off picks who overcome to win. Thay are recognizing that it is easy to pick Jimmie Johnson to win when he is on the pole, but rewarding the insight to pick Mark Martin to win when he started 26th. I agree that it is lame to pick the obvious top 3 starters and its not as much fun. Ultimately, its just way to hard to score, so we could never try something like that hear.

As far as the actual Sprint Cup scoring, I don't want them to change to the 1-43 points system. I think they should be focused on higher points the higher the position. Because to me the difference between 2nd and 5th is a lot bigger then the difference between 33rd and 36th. The latter are 2 losers - both of 'em. 5th had a good day but 2nd just about won the race! There shouldn't be much awarded to 35th and back anyways - those are the start and park guys

Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM

Hi `Brent, some very valid good points in your posts, if one has the time to keep updated on all drivers, their teams, etc.

Right now, I could not name all the drivers in NASCAR,(without looking @ the list), but I try to keep up with the sport...

If our forum had more NASCAR fans, I think our forum would get more involved, but there only seems to be about 6 member's that take the time to post in the NASCAR threads....
We can only do the best that we can only `do...
I do appreciate yours & `Duane's efforts & I hope that we can all come to a consensus that will work & be fun for those involved in the Game of Racing or in `Life : )~*

Wish you & readers a Happy Now : )

Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM

5 Year Member

Hopefully we end up having so much fun with this htat other members join when they see what they're missing out on

The reason I'm concernred is that NASCAR is talking about changing their points system... nad our points system is based on the finishing positions for the real life guys. And it's funny 'Space. .. I post a link and you post the exact same thing!! I just hope NASCAR doesn't start basing it's points on fastest laps, green flag passes, and start vs. finish ratio.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Gettting closer, anyone going? Not me. I dont think the 1-43 pts offers much separation. It does however keep them bunched up close. They do that at a local track here and its usually a 5 pt or less champion.