NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Weird fact of the race: Despite that late race incidnet, Mark Martin was the highest finishing Hendrick car.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man im still sucking it up in these races

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM

5 Year Member

Most of us have had some bad runs.... you were just due. I had some bad runs in the summer and I've rebounded to be the points leader.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the first win Wayne

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 AM

Congrat's to Jerry, Moderator `Wayne & to our NASCAR Historian Duane Great picks...

I did not get 2 watch or listen 2 the Race I was exhausted.
I'm thankful that I have the web to check the results when I get a break : ) WoW, I was surprised to see Clint as the winner and several new drivers in the top ten...
I picked Kurt Busch to win, but I see that he crashed into Bobby Jimmie did not do good along with my other pick of Carl Edwards..(no flip'in 4-Sure)...
Thanks again `Duane for another great contest 4-Sure...
We appreciate your time/knowledge & dedication

It took several trips to pit road and some time in the garage after a NASCAR mandate to repair Kevin Harvick's car. (Getty Images)
'Dega wreaks havoc on Harvick, Busch brothers..WoW Kurt took a hard hit 4-Sure!

By Mark Aumann, NASCAR.COM
October 23, 2011 8:34 PM, EDT
<!--endclickprintexclude--><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> var clickExpire = "-1"; </SCRIPT>TALLADEGA, Ala. -- The seeming randomness of restrictor-plate racing caught up three Chase contenders in Sunday's Good Sam Club 500 at Talladega Superspeedway. And in every instance, all three were innocent victims in what crew chief Dave Rogers said was being "in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch saw their title hopes severely damaged by a multi-car accident on Lap 104, while Kurt Busch climbed out of his car and declared his Chase chances over after he couldn't avoid a spinning Bobby Labonte with just 14 laps remaining.

[Edwards and Johnson], they rode out back and finished. We were up toward the front and we got wrecked out.

-- DAVE ROGERS

Harvick came to Talladega trailing points leader Carl Edwards by five points. After finishing 32nd, Harvick left 26 points behind. Kyle Busch wound up one position behind Harvick on the track and 40 points behind Edwards. And his older brother fared even worse, finishing 36th and facing a 52-point deficit.
"Our championship hopes are done, just because of this two-car Talladega draft," an obviously frustrated Kurt Busch said.
All three showed early race strength, with Harvick leading six times for 13 laps. But it was while Harvick and Kyle Busch were running four-wide in the tri-oval that their days went disastrously wrong.
Richard Petty Motorsports teammates A.J. Allmendinger and Marcos Ambrose were running on the far outside lane when Allmendinger's No. 43 Ford suddenly veered left and swept across the front of both Harvick's No. 29 Chevrolet and the No. 18 of Busch.
"It looked like [Ambrose] got a little impatient coming to the tri-oval," Rogers said. "He's trying to push his teammate, [Allmendinger], which is the name of the game around here, but he jacked [him] up pretty good, got his rear wheels of the ground, it looks like, and that turned [him] across our nose."
Harvick wound up with major damage to the front end of his car, which required multiple pit stops. That put Harvick two laps in arrears. Busch's damage was more extensive, partly from the contact with Allmendinger, but also from a side hit courtesy of Juan Montoya, who also was involved.
* Video: Multi-car wreck causes damage for Harvick, Busch
After initial triage on pit road, Rogers called Busch to the garage, where the team feverishly worked on the No. 18, repairing the track bar and replacing a ball joint. Busch was able to return to the track, albeit 11 laps down.
"There were a lot of repairs to be done -- all four corners of that car, the suspension and body were damaged," Rogers said. "We got out there in a timely fashion and picked up spots. It was a team improvement and I was pleased."
Harvick's day went from bad to worse when his car began to smoke heavily following a restart on Lap 126. NASCAR ordered the No. 29 to the garage, where his crew worked on the oil cooler. Thanks to a caution involving Kasey Kahne during that time, Harvick only lost an additional seven laps.
"Obviously that wasn't the day we wanted," Harvick said. "But the way the rest of those guys raced, it didn't devastate us.

"We wanted to be in the front. We thought that was the safer place to be in case the thing went green. I thought I was around a pretty good group of cars there. I don't know what happened. It is just one of those deals."
Kurt Busch also was a victim of circumstance. When Labonte got turned around in Turn 3 on Lap 174, Busch did all the accident avoidance he could, but wound up slamming hood-first into Labonte's right-rear fender.
* Video: Busch slams hard into a spinning Labonte
"We were doing good all day, running with Regan Smith, and just had nowhere to go," Kurt Busch said. "[Labonte] got flung by Michael Waltrip, he went low, we went high, and he was starting to come back up when I was zigging and zagging."
Rogers summed up all the frustration.
"I wish there was a recipe that we could tell Kyle to let him know where to be when we race in Talladega, but it's so hard to say," Rogers said. "[Edwards and Jimmie Johnson], they rode out back and finished. We were up toward the front and we got wrecked out.
"I thought we were going to be a contender at the end, but unfortunately we got taken out a little prematurely. We had a lot of work to do and they got the car out there fairly quick and we picked up five, six spots just with our crash repairs, so that's the silver lining of the day."
"

Related:
Richard Childress Racing reaches 100th Cup win
Bowyer takes lead on final lap to win at 'Dega

Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Junior wanted to run out front all day, but "the team" convinced him to run in the back all day and try to take it at the end. Even through that worked terribly at Daytone. But "the team" left a lug off the last 3 races, so maybe "the team" should worry about the pit stops and let Junior do the damn driving! What a waste of a day for all the Hendricks cars.

I did notice a pattern where if a car survived a wreck, they'd go to the front. I guess they were no longer "saving" their car. It is weird that MMartin bested the other 3 Hendricks and Joey did the same with his team (edit: actually Hamlin did beat Joey - but Joey did seem to be running beat).

A bit of a coincidence the RCR gets win 100 with "100 (years of Chevy)" as Bowyers primary sponsor...

Last edited by JuniorCar; 10-24-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Hi Brent, Did you enjoy the Race ?
Member's (that watched) Did you enjoy the race ?

I would've been really happy `if Jr would've won or even Joey , yes 4-Sure I think Joey needs 2 be in a Chevy
It was great that Mark got the poll, but he just can't seem to make it happen this year Hopefully he will get one b-4 the end of the season Maybe

Brent/Member's, Wish you fun in `Life ~> EnJoy
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM

5 Year Member

I was also very upset with the "team orders" keeping Juniro back. Just becuase Jimmie is in the chase doesn't mean Junior shoudl hold back. This two car draft was cool at first when it got started, but it's getting too political . I like the styel of racing fine... ti was like a big pack of 2 cars. I just don't like what's going on behind the scenes.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah this 2 car work together team order bs is dumb im sure jimmie woulda found someone back there & just like roush sayin fords only can work with fords i say find someone u can work with good & go with em ford dodge chevy toyota watever

Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For some reason Trevor Bayne wasn't follow the Ford drafting rule and he appeared to be the best running Ford all day. And Bayne is the "most Ford" being sponsored by Motorcraft and all.

I don't know why they think hanging at the back works. Seems like a great place to run if you want to get caught up in a wreck - not a way to avoid one. Burton and Bowyer hung around at the front all day and it obviously worked. Even Pyle Buschit was po'ed as his crew chief because he was given the same orders as Junior and thats what wrecked him.

I really woulda liked to see Joey/ HomeDepot push Pony to the win. Pony made a really bad call when he left Joey to draft with Menard. He must have forgot that Menard is an RCR car (an easy mistake as Menard has driven for practically every team). Menard wasn't going to help Pony beat another RCR car! Menard tanked that last restart and finish on Pony and to the back they went.

Some bad strategies played out. It was still a pretty good race at the end.