NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon

First off, I would like to pass on my regards to Dan Wheldon and his family after that crash at Las Vegas. I hope this serves as a major wake up call for how dangerous an open cockpit car is... not that I want to see the series end, but I do believe some major safety innovations are in order.

Points, Intro, Congratulatory Remarks

77GP's limb held up and took him to a win last week in Charlotte!!! I had yet another second place run. Chris was able to use Charlotte to pull his way to a Segment 4 lead, which is very tight and could easily change hands this weekend at Talladega.

Segment 4

1) montecarlo3831 418 Leader
2) JuniorCar 414 -4
3) KidSpace 413 -5
4) 77GP 405 -13
5) Cowboy6622 404 -14
6) Teacher 394 -24
7) RocknSS04 388 -30
8) lougreen03 385 -33
9) zJerry 380 -38
10) 03JGMonte 355 -63

Overall Standings

1) Cowboy6622 3046 Leader
2) montecarlo3831 3005 -41
3) 77GP 3005 -41
4) KidSpace 2998 -48
5) JuniorCar 2982 -64
6) zJerry 2964 -82
7) lougreen03 2874 -172
8) RocknSS04 2852 -192
9) 03JGMonte 1576
10) Teacher 1265

This Week
Talladega is hard to write a rundown for. I really just don't know what to say about anyone. Momentum last week means nothing. A good record at this track means nothing.

I will say that I don't think the big one is as big of a factor as in years past. The key now is to make sure you find the right drafting partner... one who won't put you in a wall or in the grass, and one who can help you get to the right place at the right time.

Talladega History

In the wake of the crash with Dan Wheldon, it reminds me of the catch fence crashes that NASCAR has had. The kinds of speeds that Indy runs are the ones stock cars were running 20 years ago and it was deemed to dangerous. That's also why Indy doesn't run Daytona and Talladega. I don't know what they're going to do about all of this, I want to see the speeds and excitement Indy offers, but I don't want to see stuff like that or this happen again either.

1987 Bobby Allison catchfence crash @ Talladega - YouTube

Or the year that car went over teh wall....

Car Flips Over the Wall NASCAR Crash at Talladega - YouTube

Hendrick Motorsports

Jr's drought could end this weekend!!! That Hendrick top 4 qualifying in the spring and all their cars involved at the end showed that 1) Their cars are fast enough to run these tracks and 2) Their drivers are good enough to do this thing without crashing each other. Look out for Hendrick cars

Stewart Haas

Since the whole advent of two car racing... we haven't seen a lot from Tony Stewart. It's high time we did though. Hendrick power, so you know he's good for it.

Childress Racing

I just don't know if the team will abandon Bowyer or not.. .this is the one track where Harvick needs him. Menard might come through... Burton just doesn't have the luck though.

Roush RAcing

I think the FR9 has the speed. Biffle crashed Edwards in Daytona in July. I think they could be factors though.

Joe Gibbs Racing

The luck just isn't there for Dennis Hamster. Joey Logano was good in the last couple of races. Pyle Busch has been good and won a couple of Talladegas and Daytonas

Red Bull Racing

Kahne and Vickers could make things happen... I know Vickers has won Talladega. Kahne needs a good partner, but Vickers hasn't had a lot of luck since he got sick last year.

Petty Motorsports.

Could happen!! Woudl be cool to see a 43 in victory lane and anotehr Ford victory (I have my Torino at Campbell this week.

Ganassi Earnahrdt

McMurry is a great restricter plate driver... not making as much noise in the 2 car draft days, but who knows. Montoya just pushes too d@mn hard, no one likes him, and he could have a hard time hooking up with someone. Could do it though.

Random drivers.

I will warn about Trevor Bayne... he won the Daytona 500, but his toher races... he's crashed Nationwide cars, he spun out in the Gatorade 150s, he crashed in Talladega this spring and was last in the July Daytona race. HE won once, wrecked every other time.

My Picks

I'm known for making videos of drawing drivers out of a hat. Not going to do that this time. I think I'm going to try......

1) Carl Edwards. He's lucky right now... hope his luck doesn't end. He's been right there in a lot of restricter plate races, never quite closed the deal.
2) Kevin Harvick, best there is on a restricter plate
3) Jimmie Johnson. Everyone thinks he is out of it... he wants to show use he is still in it. He also owes one to Jr. from the spring.

EDIT: oringaly had Junior, decided he just doesn't have luck going his way... he's always been an opening of the season type of driver.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 10-17-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My pick's
1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Tony Stewart
3) Jeff Gordon

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 AM

I have to say Carl Edwards is on a roll. He has performed in the top 10 all season long. But i dont think he is a Talladega runner. Tony Stewart is looking like the dark horse. you could probably count on two hands how many times he was a serious contender topic until the chase but now, like Jimmie has been accused of in the past, he has light the fire in his #14 for these last ten races. so with this, and always running good at superspeedways, hes a good one to bet on. Matt Kenseth surprised me last night. i just dont see him winning at a superspeedway any time soon. I was at the Charlotte race and a Jimmie Johnson fan, i was heavily devastated. im afraid his chase chances are long gone but winning at talladega i do believe he is a threat unless he lets himself get in the way. also, watch for him and teammate dale jr to hook up and try to repeat their fantastic finish this time around; maybe in a different order though. Non chase drivers that could win it, such as clint, kasey, or greg are all showing they shouldve been in that 12 man battle right now- watch those 3.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

1. Harvick (who would have guessed)
2. Bowyer for the push
3. Dale Jr. (just because its about time he wins something)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM

5 Year Member

Welcome to the party, Jay Web! I'm a little confused though... are you trying to make 3 picks? I got a bunch of names and no way of knowing which ones you're trying to pick there....

Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Gordon
johnson
jr

Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM

JR
Edwards
Johnson

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 AM

5 Year Member

Teacher, if you win, I'm going to be mad at myself... I swapped Jr. for Harvick. I have your other two. >

Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
First off, I would like to pass on my regards to Dan Wheldon and his family after that crash at Las Vegas. I hope this serves as a major wake up call for how dangerous an open cockpit car is... not that I want to see the series end, but I do believe some major safety innovations are in order.
Updated Oct 20, 2011 2:09 PM ET
TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP)

NASCAR is providing all its teams a decal that honors Dan Wheldon to place on their cars this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway.

<!-- get the image's description and add it to the title attribute -->
Dan Wheldon
NASCAR

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--//getImgSize("http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/10/20/102011-Indycar-Dan-Wheldon-Logo-Inside-JW_20111020123953146_0_0.JPG");//--></SCRIPT>
The two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was killed Sunday in the IndyCar season finale at Las Vegas. Many NASCAR drivers knew Wheldon.
The decal is of the Lionheart Knight image that Wheldon affixed to the back of his helmets. NASCAR is also producing a helmet decal for any drivers who would like to use them.
Some drivers already have their own plans in place to honor Wheldon, including Brad Keselowski, who will have ''In Honor of Dan'' written across his back bumper.
NASCAR will also hold a moment of silence for Wheldon before the start of Sunday's race.
__________________________________________________ ____
Mr Cowboy Duane,I hope you dont mine me posting this in your thread on Dan Welden since it will be on the NASCAR racecars this sunday at Talladega. He was my favorite Indycar driver. I like reading your nascar threads
Thanks Beach Bum Mike
<STYLE type=text/css>#body_footer_link a { color:#265970; font-family:Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif; line-height:40px; }</STYLE><!-- Create or join a FOX Fantasy Football league today!
-->

Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM

5 Year Member

I think it is a fitting tribute to run on the cars. I think it would be nice to name every last race of the Indy Car season in his honor too.

AS far as minding you posting, Mike, I wish you would post more and put 3 picks with those posts!

Quick Reply: Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon