NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

First off, lets congratulate Lorenzo for winning Richmond!! Only time will tell if that one was beginners luck or if he will give us hell in Segment 2!

Second, lets congratulate Evan, SSMeansSuperSexy, for winning Segment 1!!!

The poitns below represent the Segmetn 1 results, pending points penalties being repealed, along with the current overall points. The Talladega results will be our Segment 2 standings. Segment 2 will last until Daytona in July.

1) SSmeansSuperSexy 903 Leader
2) Cowboy6622 887 -16
3) Leprechaun93 880 -23
4) montecarlo3831 876 -27
5) 02 Earnhardt 871 -32
6) RocknSS04 849 -54
7) silverfish33 843 -60
8) Ricks2006SS 842 -61
9) MnteCrloSS47 833 -70
10) SupplySgt 833 -70
11) 06MistreSS 831 -72
12) butch049 831 -72
13) 77GP 814 -89
14) 03JGMonte 813 -90
15) zjerry 799 -104
16) STUMPMI 793 -110
17) carlm54stl 771 -132
18) BlazedSS 749 -154
19) BocaReject 180
20) DarrynSami 115
21) Lorenzo 114

Segment 2 Intro

It is going to take some skilled picks and a lot of luck to win Segment 2! There are 1.5 mile tracks, 2 mile tracks, a road course, and the toughest of all... 2 restricter plate tracks making up Segment 2!!!! In my opinion, figuring out which teams are getting it together, which ones were strong early but are falling off, and putting it all together across the variety of tracks this segment makes it the toughest of them all to win!

Talladega Intro

This race takes a hail mary and some luck to win as well. Indeed, the luck of the people you pick may determine whether or not you even have a chance at Segmetn 2. Three picks being taken out at Talladega could put you in a hole you can't dig out of. Getting three picks in the top 10 could launch you so far ahead that it gives you momentum until Daytona... when anything can happen again!

2012 Winner: Ricks 2006 SS
2011 Winner: lougreen03

CHEVROLET TEAMS!!!

Hendrick

The Hendrick cars showed a ton of speed, and I think that will come through at Talladega as well. 2 years ago, they set 1-2-3-4 at this track... very impressive! But luck plays a major factor...

Jimmie Johnson will either win this race at Talladega, or he will be in the garage. In a sense, it's much like Richmond for him. There just is no middle ground for the poor guy! He can lead laps, he can be in hte hunt... but bad luck finds him at Talladega.

Jeff Gordon is in the Dale Jarrett/Bill Elliott phase of his career where nothing can go right. But it went right for him last fall when he ran 2nd.

The new car and style of drafting fits the old Dale Jr style of racing. With Hendrick power, you can never count him out at Talladega. DESPITE THE FACT THAT HE HAS NOT WON HERE SINCE 2004!!!! He still has been in the hunt several times.

Kasey Kahne is hard to read on these things..

Furniture Row

Kurt Busch is about the best restricter plate racer to have never won one. HE has ran second several times and does well... just have to see how it goes.

Ganassi

Jamie McMurray is pretty good at this restricter plate gig... about the only races he ever won for Roush were on these styles of tracks and he has been close several other times. I look for McMurray to be good.

Montoya is a "snakebit" restricter plate man... no one wants to hear again how he hit a jet dryer...

Stewart Haas

Talladega can't come at a better time. The only time this eyar this team has shown any speed was at Daytona and now they're back in Talladega. I look for Tony Stewart and Danica Patrick to do well.

However, Ryan Newman is anotehr of your "snakebit" restricter plate guys. He has finished on his roof here, he has flipped at Daytona... but he has shown when he avoids the bad luck he can be in the hunt.

Richard Childress Racing

Kevin Harvick was charmed at DAtyona until the points were on the line. I think he is actually a little better at Talladega and that may make a big difference for him.

Paul Menard is okay here too.

Jeff Burton is kind of like Gordon.. he in the Dale Jarrett/Bill Elliott phase of his career where nothing good can ever happen to the poor fellow.

FORD TEAMS!!!

Roush

Last year, no one could mess with Roush on a restricter plate track. Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle had a charmed way of being 1-2 on the last lap and putting themselves in such a great position to win these races.

At DAytona, we didn't see that same luck. Biffle was fast again, but that was about it. They do still have Jimmy Fennig, who loves setting up restricter plate cars and guided Kenseth to two of these wins last year.

Stenhouse did okay in Daytona too.

Overall, I would like to think Roush will be alright this weekend.

Penske Racing

Perhaps the most talented man in the stable for Ford is Brad Keselowski, who since switching to Ford has had two engine failures. He did manage to finish both races though...

Plus, Keselowski is the defending winner of this race, he ran 7th in the fall, AND he was in a toe-to-toe battle with Jimmie Johnson for the Daytona 500 this year!!! If his car doesn't get wounded, he might dominate!

Joey Logano was a really good pusher for Kyle Busch back in the 2 car tengo days but I don't know he'll do now. He kept messing up the inside line in Daytona this year though....

Petty Motorsports

How cool would it beto see a blue #43 in victory lane at Talladega? Almirola might do it but Ambrose just seems snake bit on these tracks to me.

TOYOTA TEAMS

Toyota was running top 6 when two of the Gibbs cars let go inside of 10 laps. If the engines hold up, they may have similar luck this time around, especially with how fast Kenseth is. But with the engine issues and reliablitiy in Daytona, California, and other big tracks with lots of RPM's, plus the penalties and engine recalls goign on, can you trust a Toyota Right now?

Gibbs

Busch, Kenseth, and maybe even Brian Vickers/Denny Hamlin/Whoever will be fast, but will they have the luck, the reliability, and the know how to get it done? They may lead a lot of laps, but will they be there when ti counts? Picking Gibbs cars could be a high risk/high reward this weekend.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Michael Waltrip himself will drive this weekend. Plus, there is Bowyer and Truex. Bowyer is really good at Talladega, but refer to the TRD program... his primary and back up engine for Talladega have been recalled by TRD!!! Will he bounce back?

Bowyer is so good at Talladega one hates to think that engine issues will keep it from happening. But can you bet on him...

RANDOM *** HAT TEAMS!!!

Dave Blaney was in the hunt here one year, David Gilliland, David Ragan, AJ Allmendinger... anyone could win this race! Pick your long shots wisely!

My Picks

Going to make my picks look like my garage here at home... 2 Ford's and a Chevrolet!!!

1) Jamie McMurray
2) Brad Keselowski
3) Carl Edwards

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 04-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Jeff Gordon
Brad Keselowski
Dale Jr

Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Getting my Picks in early with

1) Eric Almirola
2) Clint Boywer
3) Truex Jr

Last edited by silverfish33; 04-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Omg what a crapshoot for fantasy picks this track is. But it is my favorite.

I'm going to keep this fire burning and go with,

Harvick
Keselowski
Earnhardt

Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 PM

5 Year Member

Classic NASCAR Photo of the Day

The camp grounds and infield of Talladega is known for its craziness!! Fans go nuts there!!!

It was the same in 1980... when the track was just 11 years old. NASCAR fans go all out for this place!

Name:  talladeganascarfans1980_zps8f1bd5f2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  92.6 KB

Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Duane:

From here on out,

Ive deceided to just go with whomever you pick.... k?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Duane:

From here on out,

Ive deceided to just go with whomever you pick.... k?

Okay, you can use them... now....

Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Dale Jr
Jimmie Johnson
Kevin Harvick

Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM

1. #29 Kevin Harvick
2. #2 Brad Keselowski
3. #5 Kasey Kahne

Last edited by carlm54stl; 04-28-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: changed to 2 car
Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 AM

5 Year Member

Classic NASCAR Photo of the Day

Here is a photo of Talladega under construction in early 1969. It's amazing how back then, they could build these tracks in less than a year. Now it takes 5 years in the courts, 3 years to get the safety inspections and the government to sign off, and about 2-3 more years to get it built!

Name:  talladegaconstruction_zpsf603dfd6.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  158.9 KB

Quick Reply: Picks/Talladega/Sunday Afternoon