NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Are my initial posts too long?
Yes! Get to your points!
0%
No, I like everything you have to say!
62.50%
Maybe cut some of the history....
0%
Keep sorting it by bold, I'll just read what I want to read.
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Dover/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Dover/Sunday Afternoon

I'm going to Dover!

We're off to Dover, DE this week. And by we, I mean the NASCAR circuit and myself! That's right, I've got a ticket to Dover! With Brent going to Charlotte, an MCF member will be representing at the next 3 races. I'm going with my roommate from college, who goes every year with his mother, and when they renewed last year, they picked up a third ticket for me. So I won't be around much after Friday. We're going shooting guns Saturday, and I'll be in race traffic when I normally post.

How to Calculate Points! If anyone wants to do this since I won't be around to, the best way to do it is to use a spreadsheet. On my windows version, I put the screennames in Column A, then put the points for the picks in B, C, and D. In cell E, put this formula: =(B1+C1+D1) This will add up the points for you. Sort the column in decending order, and make sure you set it up so that all columns are sorted that way... otherwise, you'll be wondering why everyone finished in the order they posted. You can use a similar formula to figure out the points. If no one else calculates points, it will be late Sunday or even Monday before results and points standings are posted.

First off, congrats to KidSpace on an awesome victory in Darlington!!! Last weeks results are the Segment 2 Points. For Overall points, visit the statistics thread. The Segment 2 points are also our results from last week.

KidSpace 113
zjerry 104
montecarlo3831 104
RocknSS04 104
JuniorCar 102
77GP 100
BocaReject 93
lougreen03 89
Cowboy6622 87

Dover History

The first race here was the Mason-Dixon 300, held on July 6, 1969. The winner: Richard Petty in a 1969 Ford Torino Talladega!!! '69 was the only season Petty drove a Ford, which he felt had an aerodynamic advantage on superspeedways over the '68 Plymouths and Dodges. Of course, the Plymouth Superbirds and Charger Daytona's were on the way, but not here yet. At the time, a superspeedway was defined as any track over one mile.

Dover would be the only superspeedway win for Petty that year, ironically enough ,since he switched from Plymouth trying to win superspeedways....

This Weekend

Petty Motorsports
Speaking of Richard Petty, Ford, and the 43, I've got an eye on A.J. Allemendinger this week.... the guy led laps in both races last year, but bad luck set him back. Currently, he sits 11th in point standings, and the Ford's are much better this year than last year. I'm honestly expecting another cinderella story out of the 43... great track, and a #43 Ford has won here before! I think this year of impressive stories will continue this week.... don't know about his Petty teammate.

And there are lots of rivalries out there that might just come to the surface. The d rivers call this a "self cleaning" track since the straightaways are banked, most cars just roll out of the groove when they wreck on straightaways or turns. Choose Harvick ,Kyle Busch, Juan Montoya, and Ryan Newman at your own risk

Roush Racing
OTherwise, htis has traditionally been a strong Ford track. Edwards, Biffle, and Kenseth usually have great runs at this place. With Edwards being the points leader, and coming off that 2nd place run last week, I hope that if a #43 Ford doesn't win, a #99 Ford does Biffle and Kenseth have also won races here.... but a back flip might be in order.

Hendrick Motorsports
Jimmie Johnson has won 3 out of his last 4 races at Dover... with his season kind of in a slow point, Johnson could use a strong run at Dover to get back to his championship winning form. He's still up there in stnadings.. but he's had bad luck at his last 2 races. The rest of the Hendrick cars have had some pretty average runs here... not their best tracks. Dover is where Jimmie loves to get his championship runs going strong though.

Joe Gibbs
Kyle Busch has been "hot and cold" at Dover. He was hot last year, but he's also finished last here as well within the last few years. It has traditonally not been a good track for Hamlin, but he ran 4th and 9th last year. With the way the Toyotas have been running on high bank trakcs this year, I don't know if they'll run well at Dover. Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch seemed to have some things figured out at Darlington though... so we'll see about that. Also, aside from that time he flipped down the banking, Joey Logano has had some good runs here...

Penske Racing
The Penske Dodges have just been fading this year... Keselowski backed into a top 5 last week and admitted in the post race interviews that it was sheer luck.

Childress
Traditioanlly, this is not an RCR track... but Harvick has shown some of that championship form... keep in mind, 2 RCR cars blew engines and another overheated last week. They also had problems at Daytona. This isn't as long of a race ,but the monster mile might just eat them.

Michael Waltrip Racing
Martin Truex, with a new pit crew, and coming to the only track he's ever won at (although with Earnhardt and DEI), he might get a solid run at Dover. Otherwise, we've seen nothing of these guys all year, and I'm not looking for much this week either.

Keep in mind that as of now, there is a 30% chance of rain for Sunday's race in Deleware. Someone might dominate, but we know how this rain crap is.

So since my last post will be either Thursday night/Firday morning... I'm going to go ahead and make my picks....

1) A.J. Allmendinger
2) Carl Edwards
3) Matt Kenseth

An all Ford team! I generally advise against that... but I'm going to go against my own advice. I'm also rolling the dice on A.J. Allmendinger. I think he'll either run well, or win in a rain shortened race. He's my long shoot pick.

Happy picking and enjoy the race... I'll make the results official sometime Monday!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 05-09-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 AM

...Thanks Duane & Member's 4 Your Congrats, but it was more luck then skill 4-Sure

Sprint Cup
NEXT RACE: Dover
1 p.m. ET Sunday

=============================================
http://www.doverspeedway.com/raceday/news.php
=============================================
I will post my picks b-4 the start of the Race.
Or I should have typed ~>My Guess'es
Thanks `Duane for a SuperThread on Nascar

Last edited by Space; 05-10-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Duane,
I will calculate the race for us, just to see who wins the event. I wont get into the tally thing. Not that much into spreadsheets. But at least we will know who wins. Its early in teh segment and if someone want to know before you post it when you get back, they can add them up and see where they are. We all good on this? I will be watching it and can tally it soon as race is over and post.
Jerry
Edit: Oh and we will be expecting some photos form all members who are representing! AND HAVE FUN!

Last edited by 77gp; 05-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM

5 Year Member

The only thing I will warn you to watch out for is if you are going by the live leaderboard before the real points are posted, make sure you give the winner 46 points, plus laps led. I messed up in the shootout and duels by only giving 43, but since they were unofficial races and it never affected the winner, I left it alone.

Busch and Harvick got basically the same penalty Edwards did for putting Wreckalotski in the wall.... 4 weeks probation, $25,000 fine.... awwwww, that's going to make the All-Star race a bummer!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Although not quite statistically his best, Dover is one of Martin's best tracks. He has 4 wins there (only at MIS has he more wins with 5) and it is the only track where he has more then 20 top 5's (22) - 30 top 10's in 49 starts. Its been a while, but the point is, it is one of Martin's best tracks.

But Jimmie has been knocking the hell out of this track for a while and I think he'll continue that this week-end.

Screw all the Toyota's, Dodge's and the Ford's. All bowtie's, all Hendrick's:
1. Dale Jr (see ya at the All-Star race with a Bud for ya!)
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Mark Martin

Pre-qualifying - who goes home? Only one this week: Scott Riggs
Last (the main event): Micheal MacDowell
1st caution: David Stremme
# of cautions: 8

Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
The only thing I will warn you to watch out for is if you are going by the live leaderboard before the real points are posted, make sure you give the winner 46 points, plus laps led. I messed up in the shootout and duels by only giving 43, but since they were unofficial races and it never affected the winner, I left it alone.

Busch and Harvick got basically the same penalty Edwards did for putting Wreckalotski in the wall.... 4 weeks probation, $25,000 fine.... awwwww, that's going to make the All-Star race a bummer!
All the penalties Nascar hands out are crap and seem more designed to aggrevate fans and get them talking then serve any other purpose. The money or the probation means nothing to these guys. I don't understand the messages Nascar tries to send. The only thing they really penalize is driving below the yellow line when you are not popular - they are clear on that one.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
The only thing they really penalize is driving below the yellow line when you are not popular - they are clear on that one.
Or if you're unpopular and cut into the other racing grove before crossing hte line on a restart. I think NASCAR just doesn't like people named Regan/Ragan.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Life isn't fair, & either is NASCAR
`Duane, wish you a safe & SuperFun Time @ the race. We will be looking forward to your report...EnJoy the Experience 4-Sure.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I am gonna pick (without any research)
1. Denny Hamlin
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Jimmy Johnson

Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM

5 Year Member

Alrighty guys... have fun, I'll see you sometime later.. heading out in the A.M. I guess Jerry is in charge now.

Brent, I sent you a PM about Charlotte... wanted to make sure you knew to glance up there and see it.

And we're now looking at a 60% chance of rain, 40% Monday. Might end up spending a day longer than I planned in Maryland/Delaware.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 05-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Picks/Dover/Sunday Afternoon