NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/All Star/SatNight

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/All Star/SatNight

Disclaimer

While you do not have to pick, and many of you did not last year, I ask that you please do so. This is a great race to win! Also remember, we do not have the list yet (I type this on Saturday night) of who will be in each race.

Previous NASCAR champions, winners of races this season, and winners of races last season are all entered into the All-Star race. That means guys like Martin Truex and Joey Logano are not guaranteed to be racing. As soon as such information is available, it will be posted in this thread of who you can chose and not chose. For the most part, the people you chose week in and week out are the guys who are eligible. (Except, I think Jr is ineligible, but will most likely be in with the fan vote)

Disclaimer Part 2

Since there is a race to get into the All-Star race of all drivers not eligible (like Dale Jr, Martin Truex, Joey Logano, Juan Montoya, etc.), we will be picking for TWO RACES this week!!! I will post teh entry lists for both races as soon as they are available.

Also, sometimes, for these little "exhibition" races, sometimes laps led points aren't available. In that event, you will get the base points for your pick without the lap led points that you would get in a points paying race.

But once again, the points will be calculated JUST FOR FUN to see who won this race. If you're not first, you're last. We're just going to see who wins!!

ENTRY LIST FOR THE SPRINT ALL STAR SHOWDOWN RACE
Remember, this is the race to get into the main event, whose entry list is posted below this one.

Jamie McMurray
David Reutimann
Casey Mears
Mike Bliss
Joey Logano
A J Allmendinger
Josh Wise
David Stremme
Jeff Burton
Stephen Leicht
Tony Raines
David Gilliland
Juan Pablo Montoya
Aric Almirola
Bobby Labonte
J J Yeley
Martin Truex Jr
Landon Cassill
Joe Nemechek
Dale Earnhardt Jr
Travis Kvapil
Scott Speed

SPRINT ALL STAR RACE ENTRY LIST
This is the main event which is a race divided into 5 segments. You want to pick the top 3 drivers at the end of that 5th segment.

2 Brad Keselowski
5 Kasey Kahne
9 Marcos Ambrose
11 Denny Hamlin
14 Tony Stewart
15 Clint Bowyer
16 Greg Biffle
17 Matt Kenseth
18 Kyle Busch
21 Trevor Bayne
24 Jeff Gordon
27 Paul Menard
29 Kevin Harvick
34 David Ragan
39 Ryan Newman
48 Jimmie Johnson
51 Kurt Busch
55 Mark Martin
78 Regan Smith
99 Carl Edwards

Intro and Congratulatory Remarks

No points are being tallied this week... we are racing for fun. You may check the overall statistics, current as of the Bojangles Southern 500 at Darlington, in the stats thread.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...tistics-26054/

Congrats to carlm54stl, however, for taking over both the overall and segment points leads with an impressive 1-2-3 pick at Darlington to win that race. That was a very big week for him.

Defending winners of these two races last year....

Sprint All-Star Showdown (the pre race for those not eligble) - Cowboy6622
Sprint All-Star Race (the main event) - lougreen03

The Procedure For This Race

It changes every year. So read this, remember it until Saturday night, and then forget it.

There will be 4, 20 lap segments, followed by a final 10 lap segment. I don't think caution laps count in the final segment. Here is hte deal.

After each 20 lap segment, pit lane is open and you don't have to pit. You can, but you don't have to.

After the 4th 20 lap segment, everyone HAS to hit pit road and AT LEAST stop in their pit box. That is important because...

To discourage sandbagging in the segments, the format this year allows the winners of Segment 1, 2, 3, and 4 to hit pit road 1-2-3-4 in that order. So for instance, lets just say that Kyle Busch wins Segment 1, Carl Edwarsd wins Segment 2, Denny Hamlin wins segment 3, and Jimmie Johnson wins Segment 4. That means when they throw the checkered flag for Jimmie Johnson, they will reset the running order. Kyle Busch will be lined up first, Carl Edwards 2nd, Denny Hamlin 3rd, and Jimmie Johnson 4th. Every car is then required to go down pit road. Being able to go down pit road early is a major strategy player. However, you can't edit your picks mid race either.

And we aren't going to do points for each segment... if anyone feels like doing that, they're welcome to. But I'm not going to try.

Advise for Picking this Week

When you win a segment, when you hit pit road, and how quick your pit crew is, AND what your overall race strategy are will determine who wins this race. Teams with quick pit team,s good strategists on th epit box, and lady luck on their side will in the All-Star race.

You also want an aggressive driver. It's a good Kevin Harvick type of race in that you have ot be aggressive, yet let the race come to you for hte final 10 lap segment as well.

And if you watch some practice or whatnot, pay attention to what drivers say. Sometimes, a team comes out to go all out adn win the money, sometimes a team will use this as an elaborate practice session for hte points paying, bigger paying Coca~Cola 600 the following Sunday night.

Joe Gibbs

Joey Logano will have to race his way in. Dennis Hamster and Kyle Busch are in the race. Both seem to be hitting a stride right now. This is a style of race that suits these guys driving style and I think both will be major factors in this race.

Roush Fenway Racing

All drivers here are eligible. I think this race suits a Carl Edwards or a Greg Biffle more than it does a Matt Kenseth, who is just too laid back. But Kenseth has been close in this race a few times.

Stewart Haas Racing

I think this is a good Tony Stewart style of race. And he is traditioanlly a factor in this race as well. Ryan Newman... eh.

Hendrick

All drivers except Junior are in anyway, yet Junior will probably get in with the fan vote. Kasey Kahne used to be the man at Charlotte and I think he will be a factor again with a Hendrick car now that the curse is broken. Yet Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon ahve both had bad luck at Charlotte, especially since they took those "Lowes" logos off the wall about 3 years back.

Childress

It's a good Harvick style of race... but I just don't see the Childress cars 1.5 mile program winning a race for them. It might....

Penske

It's a really good Brad K type of race, but AJ isn't eligible and will have to race his way in.

Petty Motorsports

Ambrose is eligible, Almirola not. Not looking for much out of either car.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Hot cars right now.. yet only Bowyer is already qualified for the main event (by winning Talladega). I think Martin Truex will be a major factor in the Showdown race leading up to this event.

My Picks

Right off the top of my head, very subject to change... I think ti is going to be a Toyota kind of night...

And make sure your picks look a lot like this... pick for both races, or just pick for one race if you want.

SPRINT ALL STAR SHOWDOWN

1) Martin Truex, Jr
2) Joey Logano
3) Dale Earnhardt, Jr

SPRINT ALL STAR RACE

1) Denny Hamlin
2) Kyle Busch
3) Kasey Kahne

Enjoy the race... and pick to win, don't points race!!!!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 05-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM

I can see why people wont play. Could it be any more confusing?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 PM

5 Year Member

I knwo it is confusing. It's a confusing format. Everything you know about a regular race can be thrown out the window. I don' think NASCAR knows what is going on more times than not.

What I need to know... is the confusion on NASCAR's part, or my part? Because the Budweiser Shootout went well with a lot of people picking in it. The All-Star race is much more confusing. We also got through the Gatorade 150's at Daytona without a hitch.

If I'm causing the confusion, I'll do everything I can to remedy that....

Basics: Your points standings will not be affected this week. You're racing for a win. A star in your signature if your'e one of those guys. Your name as the winner in the stats thread. That is it.

Who to pick? Basically, most of the drivers people pick week in and week out are eligible for the mai nevent. Those guys who tend to run mid-pack to the 20s or so are the guys in the all star show down race.

So for the main all-star race, you could pick guys like Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer, Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch, Regan Smith (who won Darlington), Tony Stewart, Marcos Ambrose (won Watkins Glen), Paul Menard (won Indianapolis)...., Brad Keselowski... David Ragan (won the summer Daytona race) and they always let the fans vote a driver into the race... well you know it will be Dale Jr. Kurt Busch won a race last year and will be eligible, so will Trevor Bayne if he choses to participate.

For the other race... the "All Star Showdown"... pick people who don't win races. Guys like Joey Logano, Martin Truex, AJ Allmendinger, Jeff Burton, Jamie McMurray, Juan Pable Montoya, David Gilliland, Travis Kvapil, Aric Almirola, Casey Mears, Dave Blaney, JJ Yeley, David Stremme.....

Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

all star main race Harvick
Johnson
Kyle busch

i'm not sure on the showdown picks yet. I edit them in later.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not confusing

The Showdown:

1. Dale Jr
2. Martin Truex
3. AJ Almendinger

The AllStar Race:

1. Dale Jr.
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Greg Bifle

Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

All Star Race
Johnson
Kahne
Gordon

Opener
Jr
Truex
Burton

Last edited by 03JGMonte; 05-14-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM

5 Year Member

I hope we get all of our regulars in on this race. Two races to be won, the overall points don't matter... we're all just looking to get a win!

Glad to see we have a few already. Hopefully we can add the rest as the week goes on.

And if anyone is confused, please don't hesitate to PM me or post on here for someone to help you get this sorted out. I don't want someone to abstain just because they don't understand how this race works.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM

The Showdown: 1. #56 Martin Truex Jr. 2. #88 Dale Jr. 3. #22 A.J. Allmendinger 2012 Sprint All-Star Race 1. #48 Jimmie Johnson 2. #5 Kasey Kahne 3. #2 Brad Keselowski <center><center>

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM

5 Year Member

We need to edit Carl Martins avatar there to include his Southern 500 win and a points leader tag needs to be added!!!

Carl posted that picture of Jimmie celebrating, but does Carl realize he was supposed to be celebrating a Darlington win himself?

It looks like Jr, Allmendinger, and Treux are the popular three for this showdown race, and rightfully so. The real test will come to who wins that All-Star race!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 05-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM

5 Year Member

I have a new signature for the next pair of weeks.

Also, if anyone is interested in taking a ride around Charlotte iwth me in a '68 Torino, check out this video!!

1968 Ford Torino runs Charlotte Motor Speedway-1/1 - YouTube

^LINK^

Quick Reply: Picks/All Star/SatNight