NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Nascar Racin': Labour Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 AM

Member's Post your Top 3 for Atlanta
Below Source: Nascar.com

Thinking outside the box

The evolution of the pit box -- from Radio Flyer to War Wagon -- can be traced to former crew chief Gary Nelson, and today's fancy version still uses the same basic principles.

NASCAR 101: Inside the Cockpit | Anatomy of Pit Stop | Race Weekend | Track Jargon
Hampton, Ga.
Partly Cloudy 67°
Forecast
I hope the weather is good 4 the Race
& for all in the MCF Family : )

Writer's Block: Like KidSpace: )
Jungle Boogie

Life on the road leads to a yard that could swallow up David Caraviello.
Cash for clunkers

Don't count Busch out of Chase just yet
I want 2 count him `out...He has the talent 4-Sure, but he needs
to go out & find a personality. I hope he finds a good one.

Loop Data shows if he survives AMS, bubble guys need to look out.
Around the Track

Gilliland piecing rest of schedule together

Will drive No. 21 in Atlanta, three races for Joe Gibbs Racing.
Old friend helps Labonte

At the Track:
AMS Victory Lane

Kurt Busch & Co. take us through their Atlanta win, how they'll try to repeat.
Weather for AMS

Kenseth looks to bookend fast start

Only 34 points ahead of Chase cutoff, '03 champ in precarious spot.
Cup: By the Numbers

Nationwide wins counter Cup woes

David Ragan is enjoying a breakthrough season at just the right time.
Nationwide: Numbers

Young truck driver learning the ropes

Future NASCAR Champion...I wish I was in his seat : )
4-Sure...It's fun watching him improve with experience. `Space
Colin Braun has matured and, at 20, he figures to get even better.
Qualifying Order

Fantasy Report:
AMS picks to click

Mike Bell breaks down which drivers to roll with Sunday night at Atlanta.
Fantasy Preview

Last edited by Space; 09-05-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Courtesy of Harold Hinson
Richard Childress, left, is reviving the No. 3 in the Truck Series with Austin Dillon behind the wheel this weekend at Iowa Speedway.
Childress grandson brings No. 3 back to national level

By David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM
September 3, 2009
11:38 AM EDT

It runs in the family, like a last name or an heirloom watch. His grandfather ran the number for the final six years of his career as a driver on NASCAR's premier series, and used it to define a company that has since won six championships. His father ran it in an old Winston West event more than a decade ago. Now it's Austin Dillon's turn to carry the most famous number in stock-car racing back to the sport's national level for the first time in more than seven years.
Dillon, the grandson of championship car owner Richard Childress, will race a black No. 3 truck in Saturday's inaugural Camping World Truck Series event at Iowa Speedway. It's the first Truck start since 1999 for RCR, which won 20 races and a title on the circuit before the program was shut down to focus on Nationwide Series efforts.

The 3 is one of the biggest numbers in the sport. It will always be. When I get in the car, I'm still in a regular race car. But outside the car, I look at it as something really cool and special to my family, and just a privilege to be able to drive.

-- AUSTIN DILLON

Just as notably, it's the first national-level NASCAR race for an RCR vehicle bearing the No. 3 -- yes, the stylized No. 3 made famous by Dale Earnhardt -- since 2002, when Dale Earnhardt Jr. piloted a Nationwide Series car bearing the numeral in events at Daytona and Charlotte.
For Dillon, the 19-year-old son of RCR vice president for competition Mike Dillon, the number is nothing new. The freshman communications major at High Point University has used the number ever since he started racing, and in 2008 competed full-time on the Camping World East tour in a mostly-black No. 3 car that looked startlingly similar to the vehicle Earnhardt drove at the peak of his career. He doesn't expect Saturday's nationally-televised event at the 25,000-seat Iowa track to feel any differently.
"Every time I get in those race cars, I don't even pay attention to the number," Austin said. "The 3 is one of the biggest numbers in the sport. It will always be. When I get in the car, I'm still in a regular race car. But outside the car, I look at it as something really cool and special to my family, and just a privilege to be able to drive. But as soon as I step in there, it's just another race car. I'm having fun with it. I'm looking forward to seeing that black 3 out there for the Truck Series race."
Dillon is more focused on getting the kind of on-track results that would further his racing career. He and his father decided against spending another season on the Camping World East tour, where Dillon won once last year, and chose instead to pick certain races in certain series that would give him more experience at the kind of venues and in the kind of vehicles he would need to take the next step.
So far this year Dillon has run four races on the Nationwide tour, three in ARCA, and three in the Camping World East and West series combined, as well as a few dirt late model events.
"It's mostly for getting experience," Austin said. "We've really got to get the experience at the bigger tracks, and most of the tracks we ran this year were the big tracks like Michigan and Kentucky and things like that where we felt like we could get experience and run fast. We wanted to go places where you could run fast. We felt like the short tracks, we can go there and run pretty decent. Just getting used to these big tracks is going to be the toughest part for me."
Mike Dillon said RCR bought the truck several months ago from Kevin Harvick, who owns a Truck team and competes for Childress on the Sprint Cup tour. The Dillons believe the vehicle's boxier dimensions will help prepare Austin -- who has never made a Truck start -- for the current Cup car, as well as the forthcoming new Nationwide car
"Talking to other drivers, they think the truck is more like the [new Cup] car," Mike said. "And we think we'll see the [new] car in Nationwide in 2011, and we're just trying to get prepared for that."
Iowa, despite being less than a mile in length, is part of that process. Austin knows Iowa from five previous starts there in ARCA, Camping World East, or Nationwide races -- "It's like we're running for a track championship there or something," he joked -- and has tested his new Silverado truck at Rockingham Speedway.
But he also knows that the truck's number, something that's viewed as sacred to a generation of race fans raised on Earnhardt lore, will attract as much attention as its performance on the race track.
"We understand and respect everything about that number," Mike Dillon said. "We told him up front that he has to always remember the fans. The good thing about the truck is, the No. 3 won a championship with Mike Skinner. But we just have to be respectful to the fans about it."
Austin Dillon seems prepared for that, and said the reaction is usually positive.
"I've had a great response," he said. "Anyone who's ever come up to me and talked to me about it has had good responses toward the 3 and me running it. I've never been around anybody who's told me that I shouldn't be running it or anything. We're having fun with it right now. I think our fans are liking it. We'll just take it easy and take our time with the number."
But for how long? Pending his results the rest of this season and a successful search for a sponsor, Austin is hopeful for a full-time ride on the Truck circuit next year. Mike Dillon said RCR would likely field the vehicle. Austin wouldn't be opposed to taking the No. 3 with him. That would mean the number would be returned to regular competition in a national NASCAR series for the first time since Earnhardt's final season.
Whether that happens would ultimately be Childress' call.
"I think the number is a cool all-around number, and it's a number I've run my entire career," Dillon said. "My grandfather got to run it, and of course Dale got to run it. It's just a really cool, fun number to run. I'd love to be able to take it with me and keep moving up with it. We'll just see how everything goes. That's really my grandfather's decision. We'll wait and see."
Also:
RCR shakeup means new crew chief for Burton in '10

Old 09-06-2009, 01:09 AM

Thanks for all the racin updates! OK I am gonna say:

Biffle
Johnson
Martin

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

never gonna get that out of my head, #3 is the man and will never be anyone else!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
never gonna get that out of my head, #3 is the man and will never be anyone else!

..Hi `Chris, I think by bringing the number 3 back it will just keep Dale Sr memory alive and growing. EnJoy the Race...What are your Top 4 picks ? Race coverage begins @ 7 PM 2day : )
Wish U a Great day...`Space

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Hi Reader, Only 8 hours (from this post) until the Race Coverage begins on ESPN @ 7 PM ESt...Post your Top Three Picks for the Race & Whose gona cause the first Caution of the Race : )
Below Source: Nascar.com

Midwest mastery

From start to finish, Mike Skinner was the class of the field in the inaugural truck race at Iowa Speedway and he backed it up with his second win of the season. Congrat's 2 `Mike Skinner from the MCF : )

Iowa: Unofficial Results | Unofficial Standings | Video: Post-race reactions
Hampton, Ga.
Partly Sunny 73°
Forecast

Final Laps: Skinner survives late restart

Mike Skinner pulled away from the field with five laps to go for win.
Victory Lane: Iowa

Rude welcome for Dillon as he spins

Rookie gets loose in Iowa's Turn 2 but is impressive with save.
Compton, Starr spin

Harvick dominates in Nationwide victory

Survives long pit stop with 12 to go, holds off Kyle Busch for win.
ALRIGHt `kEVIN...Congrat's from the MCF 4-Sure...Did Kyle `cry
Final Laps: Atlanta

Victory Lane: Harvick happy in Hotlanta

Kevin Harvick enjoys his Atlanta victory as an owner and a driver.
Post-race reactions

Edwards the latest to take trip into bizarre

Carl Edwards added to list of freak injuries, writes David Caraviello.
Atlanta Cup Lineup

Truex Jr., Kahne an unlikely front row

EGR driver wins third career Cup pole and second on season.
Quickest at Atlanta

Keeping an eye on everyone around him

Qualifying 22nd, Montoya will have to stay out of trouble in Atlanta.
Kahne on front row

Stewart says Danica has sights set on ...him, & Jamie Lynn is unhappy WTF ? LOL

Smoke believes open-wheel star Patrick will be on the move.
'Official Small Business'

Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member

ok, i'll tell you my picks

1 happy harvick
2 dale jr
3 clint boyer

first caution: marcos ambrose

these picks are not the greatest, but just getting kinda bored, had nothing else going on today!! see ya

Old 09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member

start you engines, just had my pre-race snack, a bottle of hawaiian punch and a hostess cherry pie from sunoco! i'm ready now! boogity boogity boogity let's go racing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcFoemiavx0

Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member

sorry for no updates, i'm kinda not here! i think happy harvick was leading and dale jr is 4th!! who knows, not really focused tonight!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 AM

Congratulates Kasey Kahne
Source: NASCAR.com Thank You

Kahne late-race pass
leads to Victory Lane

The question is this: What took so long? Nighttime racing at AMS proved to be all that was hoped for -- maybe more. For the record, 13 drivers ran on point Sunday night, but Kasey Kahne took the lead with 10 laps to go en route to his second victory of the season and 11th of his career.

Atlanta: Results | Standings | Lap-by-Lap
..Click above for complete results

Victory Lane

Kahne celebrates after the Pep Boys Auto 500.
Watch Now

Final Laps

Kahne takes the checkers in Atlanta's first night race.
Watch Now

Unfamiliar situation
for Mr. Consistency

Matt Kenseth not in the Chase? It could happen, says David Caraviello.
No. 17 scrapes wall

Second-place run
catalyst for success?
Way 2 `go Kevin in a Chevy

Kevin Harvick believes momenteum from AMS can be a building block.
Press Pass: Harvick

Busch brings out
seventh caution
Tak'in after his brother :p

The No. 2 gets sideways in Turn 4 and hits the wall, collects Sorenson.
Johnson breaks axle

Engine woes hamper
Edwards' early race
No Flip'in 2day Carl : (

Chase-hopeful to the pits, then garage with engine troubles.
No. 99: Special look

Hornish brings out
two yellows at AMS
Go back 2 Indy ?

Spins into the grass in Turn 4, and later has a tire go down.
Logano smokes 'em

Notes: Chevy boss
reluctant to add

Bowtie Brigade sitting tight; changes in Chase approach, says Gordon. I'm working on being a billionaire : ) Going 2 put space in business : )
Bowyer takes spin

Skinner class of field at first Iowa race

Mike Skinner posts his second victory of the Truck Series season.
No. 5 in Victory Lane

Harvick dominates in Nationwide victory 4-Sure

Survives long pit stop with 12 to go, holds off Kyle Busch for win.
'Happy' Victory Lane