NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Bud Shootout + More : )

[align=center]- Duane `Cowboy, Good Post infor -[/align][align=center]___________________________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Ch-ch-changes don't lead to cha-ching for NASCAR

Jan. 2008
By Pete Pistone
Special to CBSSports.com
[font="arial, helvetica"][size=2][/align][/align][align=center]CONCORD, N.C. -- After spending the past few years with its foot slammed down hard on the accelerator, NASCAR management has decided to lift off the gas this year. [:@]
The many changes made to the sport since 2003, including the introduction of the Chase, the Car of Tomorrow, the Top 35 qualifying rule, new television partners and new t i t l e sponsors, were all done in hopes of growing the sport and the fan base.
[:-]

CEO Brian France admits that 'change is good to a certain point.' [:@]

While some new fans were brought to the sport through these initiatives, there was also a negative effect [X(]on the core group of fans who felt there were too many changes going on with their favorite sport. [:@]
In hopes of rectifying the somewhat alarming trend of alienating this core group, NASCAR has decided to go "back to basics" in 2008 in an effort to reconnect with old fans.
"We want this to be the NASCAR you fell in love with," said NASCAR president Mike Helton during Monday's presentation at the annual preseason media tour in Charlotte. [/align][align=center]
Finding its way back into the hearts of the people who were with the sport from the beginning is clearly the main goal of NASCAR this season.
"What I'm saying to you is this change issue, all the different things from the name of series to the format, different rules, the Car of Tomorrow, now the new car, whatever, all those things to our core fan, that's a lot to digest in a very short period of time," said CEO Brian France. "We know that."
"Change is good to a certain point. We've got all the change we think the sport can stand and needs. Now we want to build on that."[/align][align=center]
After a season marred by declining television ratings, lower attendance and a general consensus from fervent fans that NASCAR was more concerned about the business of the sport than the actual racing,[:@] the sanctioning body seems to have listened. In its quest to grow stock car racing and become a mainstream national as well as international sport, many accused NASCAR of forgetting its roots and tossing aside the very people who made it one of the most popular sports in the country.like that southernRed neckl Kid`Space.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Traditional tracks and venues like Rockingham, North Wilkesboro and Darlington were left behind as NASCAR added new markets and glistening stadiums in Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago and Miami. In an effort to attract a West Coast audience, starting times for races were pushed back to late afternoon on the East Coast, disrupting a traditional routine for many of breakfast, church and NASCAR. The result was thousands of fans turning off [:@]their television sets rather than staying with races that were ending near bedtime. [/align][align=center]
It has all added up to a backlash that

Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 PM

[align=center]The previous post says a lot [/align][align=center]about the new NASCAR[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Stewart, Kurt Busch facing sanctions
(Below in ref., to Duane's -Cowboy's post)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - This is not the way NASCAR wanted to start the 2008 season.
But then again, maybe it is. Just ask Kurt Busch, who was nailed on the backstretch by Tony Stewart 20 laps into the second practice for the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona International Speedway on Friday.

Get ready for race day

[ul][*]Dale Jr. wins Bud Shootout[*]R. Gordon has problems in inspection[*]Martin to stay at DEI through 2009[*]Junior Johnson to drive at Daytona[/ul]
Analysis:

[ul][*]Spencer: Drama unfolds at Daytona[*]Owens: Eyeing a Daytona upset[*]White: Tomorrow is here[*]Spencer: Questions remain with COT[*]Owens: Who needs to step up in '08?[*]DW: What makes Daytona so great?[*]McReynolds: Stories to follow in '08[/ul]
Race preview:
[/align][color=#000000][b]Stewart, driver of the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota, paced the first practice session of the day for the exhibition race, ran into the back end of No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge of Busch, the polesitter for Saturday's Shootout, and collected his teammate Denny Hamlin on the backstretch in the pro

Old 02-12-2008, 05:18 AM

[align=center]
THE BIG STORY

Hendrick Motorsports continued to show the way on NASCAR's season-opening weekend at Daytona International Speedway. Dale Earnhardt Jr. won Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout in his Hendrick debut and Jimmie Johnson got the pole Sunday for the 50th Daytona 500. Johnson, the two-time defending Cup champion, clocked a 187.075 mph lap in his Chevrolet. Michael Waltrip got the outside front-row spot with a 186.734 mph lap in his Toyota. Joe Nemechek, David Reutimann and Dave Blaney completed the top five as 52 cars took time. Noteables: Jeff Gordon, 10th; Patrick Carpentier in the Valvoline Dodge, 11th; Tony Stewart, 12th; Earnhardt Jr., 15th; Dale Jarrett, 21st; Kevin Harvick, 33d; Kurt Busch, 34th; Dario Franchitti, 40th; Sam Hornish Jr., 43d; Bill Elliott, 45th.
Also: Michael Annett, in a Toyota, won Saturday's ARCA 200 at Daytona… Gil de Ferran will return to competition as owner-driver of a new ALMS P2 class Acura team… Craig Dollansky and Jason Meyers won the first two World of Outlaws A-mains of the season at Volusia Speedway Park… Justin Wilson was named as Graham Rahal's teammate at Newman/Haas/Lanigan for the Champ Car season… The Indy Racing League named former Champ Car executive Tony Cotman VP of competition. Return to Top

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Robby Gordon switched to Dodge, getting technical, manufacturing and marketing services from Gillett Evernham Motorsports. Gordon now runs GEM engines. Two separate accidents in Friday Budweiser Shootout practice involved Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch, among others. Busch twice banged his car into Stewart's coming onto pit road after they tangled. Both were called to the NASCAR trailer but no penalties have been announced. In Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout non-points event, which had 23 starters, Dale Earnhardt Jr. led 15 laps in the opening 20-lap segment. In the concluding 50-lap segment, David Gilliland cut a tire and hit the wall, collecting Kasey Kahne, Martin Truex Jr. and Greg Biffle. Most everyone else pitted. Dave Blaney's crew changed only two tires and got his Toyota out first, ahead of Earnhardt Jr. Stewart, making his Toyota debut, passed for the lead with nine laps to go. Three laps later, Busch spun, and set up a restart with three laps to go. With a push from new teammate Johnson, Earnhardt Jr. took first place and won by .136 second over Stewart. Johnson was third, followed by Gordon and Reed Sorenson. Dale Jr. averaged 140.751 mph over the 175 miles and collected $215,000.Return to Top

NHRA Powerade Drag Racing Series

Tony Schumacher, Robert Hight and Greg Anderson were the winners in the season-opening Carquest Auto Parts Nationals at Pomona. In an all-Don Schumacher Racing Top Fuel final, Schumacher powered to a 4.499 second, 331.28 mph win over Cory McClenathan's 4.536, 329.26 mph. In Funny Car, John Force's new stiffer, safer Ford Mustang got to the winner's circle with son-in-law Hight. (Force and daughter Ashley lost in the semifinals.) Hight went 4.861, 284.39 mph vs. Cruz Pedregon's 4.879, 322.50 mph in a Chevrolet Impala. In a first-round race against Force, defending class champion Tony Pedregon had an explosion. He was treated for second-degree hand burns and released from a local hospital. Jack Beckman qualified 15th in the Valvoline Dodge Charger but lost in the second round. In Pro Stock, Anderson's Pontiac GXP ran 6.616, 209.23 mph to best Jeg Coughlin's 6.638, 208.42 mph in a Chevrolet Cobalt. Ron Krisher qualified 15th in the Valvoline Cobalt but lost in the first round.Return to Top

Racer of the Week

[b]Dale Earnhardt Jr. Gets to victory lane for the first time since May 2006, at

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 AM

[align=center]
Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. overrated?
Teammates 'Gift-Wrap' Junior Win
[/align]
BY MONTE DUTTON,
[align=center][/align]
Filed Under: NASCAR
[align=center][/align]

Sports Commentary

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. overrated? It's not a fair question. Given his popularity -- who he is and, more notably, who was his father -- he couldn't possibly be underrated. When has there ever been a star in any sport who was adored more while achieving less? That's not his fault. It's more like his burden.

Rob Davis, Reuters
[align=center][/align]
Thanks to help from his start-studded teammates, Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his first event, the Bud Shootout this past Saturday night, driving for his new team.
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Imagine if Elvis Presley had had a son.

So far, so good, though, in Earnhardt Jr.'s personal quest for the Holy Grail. It's the one his father found seven times, not the one sought in the movies by the comedy troupe Monty Python. Nowadays it's called the Sprint Cup.
[align=center][/align]
Click below to vote in poll + More
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
http://sports.aol.com/nascar/story/_...11120709990001
Posted Feb 11th 2008 4:52PM by Geoffrey Miller
Filed under: Other Racing Series
Here's some incredible footage away from sandy beaches of Daytona Beach, Florida that NASCAR is currently calling home.

Tony Pedregon, last year's NHRA Funny Car champion, didn't exactly start off his season on the right foot. Racing against former team-owner John Force (who had an
incredible crash of his own last season), Pedregon's car suffered a little more than a wardrobe malfunction.

Just past half track during the first round of eliminations for the Winternationals, something went terribly wrong in Pedregon's motor and caused the nearly 8,000 horsespower beast to erupt in a ball of fire with Pedregon sitting in the middle o
[align=center][/align]
Click below link to view video
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][center][URL=http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/11/video-drag-racer-pedregons-car-explodes/][u][color=#8

Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM

[:@][:@][:@]What does hair have to do with anything ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Jr. is still snowing 'em with a win in his 150 qualifier on Thurs

Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtietech

Jr. is still snowing 'em with a win in his 150 qualifier on Thurs
`Steve LOL ~ LOL
Thanks for your post : )
Jr is his father's son : ) He has proven he can WIN : )
Now, he has the team/equipment/talent to follow
in his father's foot steps.
I believe he will be a future Cup Winner.
Maybe not this year, but he could `be?
Sorry JR : ) I think the snow has melted : )
and the results are 2 wins already in 08 forLittle `E
Let the racing continue...time will tell the story/results : )

Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM

Two wins onshort runs with no points. He has already blown one Hendricks engine dont worry there will be more. Jr seems to have the luck behind him where he can place the gas to the floor and not worry about it. We will see what happenswhen he competes in a real race (No restrictor plates).

Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Two wins onshort runs with no points. He has already blown one Hendricks engine dont worry there will be more. Jr seems to have the luck behind him where he can place the gas to the floor and not worry about it. We will see what happenswhen he competes in a real race (No restrictor plates).
JR, LOL, & Thanks : )
I knew that you would post something about little `E : )
Little `E., isn't my favorite, but I still believe he has talent, and
like I posted before "I'd trade him places in a Chevy HeartBeat". : )
I wish I could say that I've won two races a Daytona International
Speedway....(Even `if it was on my SkateBoard : ).
You posted that Jr has luck behind him when he can place the
gas to the floor, well...,isn't that what you're suppose to do ?
My grandfathers wants Mark Martin to win : )
I would like to see JJ win again, but also I still like Denny Hamlin : )
even though he went with Toyota.., and I've followed
Carl Edwards career, & I think he will win a title in his future,
but I hope he gets recruited by Chevy : ).
Thanks `JR, your posts are entertaining, and I know that we
all can't like the same drivers. That wouldn't be any fun @ all : )
Wish U a `Happy/Lucky Weekend.
Peace/Out/`Space : )

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You posted that Jr has luck behind him when he can place the[/align][align=center]gas to the floor, well...,isn't that what you're suppose to do ? [/align][align=center][/align]
Well there are many tracks that you need to hit the brakes/shift or you will go straight into the wall. Now this is what Jr needs to learn ;-)

Quick Reply: NASCAR + More : )