NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Do you think Carl Edward was wrong ?
Yes, he should be fined/suspended
70.00%
No, it's Racing
30.00%
I don't know ?
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

NASCAR 3/9/10 + Carl Edwards ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NASCAR 3/9/10 + Carl Edwards ?

The Edwards-BK flip flap

Carl Edwards had a choice to make. How would he show his displeasure toward Brad Keselowski? His intentions to wreck the brash young driver at Atlanta had an unintentional result. As Joe Menzer writes, he made the wrong choice.

NASCAR studying incident | Video: BK taps Edwards | Edwards flips BK | We discuss
Bristol, Tenn.
Clear 31°
Forecast

RPM finds success with three in top six

Allmendinger, Menard, Kahne give the King a reason to smile.
40 Comments
Post-Race Reactions

Weekend Top 5:
Look back at Atlanta

There was some great racing at AMS but controversy will dominate the headlines.
Official Results

Race Rewind: Relive all the highlights

Watch a condensed version of the Kobalt Tools 500 from Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Final Laps: Atlanta

Addington finds vindication in Atlanta

Crew chief pleased he found Victory Lane before his former team.
49 Comments
Press Pass: Busch

Those with tire issues blame Goodyear

Some drivers unhappy but manufacturer defends AMS race tire.
147 Comments
SHR cars to the rear

Busch wins after crashes add restarts

Kurt Busch won his second consecutive spring race at AMS.
745 Comments
Shop: Winner's gear!

'Fan Finish' puts capper on Atlanta

Kyle Petty and the SPEED gang answer questions regarding the Kobalt Tools 500.
Busch joins SPEED

Press Pass: Kenseth runner-up at AMS

Has four top-10s to open the season including consecutive top-fives; now second in points.
Press Pass: Montoya

Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Posted Yesterday by `Duane

This crash at the end of the race was on ABC World News. NASCAR has to got to suspend him just for their own public appeal. The media is really villainizing Edwards. He is my favorite driver, and I do'nt know what they're going to do, but I think he'll be lucky if they let him run the Nationwide race and just sit out the cup race. He really messed up. I've messed up too. I've done some stuff I shouldn't have, payed the consquences, and it made me who I am now.

Last edited by Space; 03-09-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Below posted yesterday by `Richard
I'm like you Cowboy ; I like Carl Edwards to. I even have a couple
of his diecast. ( 1st win car - Atlanta and a AFLAC car ).
Carl should be fined and suspended a race or two.
He is a brand new father. He needs to act like one and be responsible
for his actions.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM

I like Carl Edwards & think he is blessed with rac'in talent,
but I think he needs anger management.
I wish NASCAR would consider putting up a boxing
ring for the end of the race & let
the drivers go at `it

I didn't like it that in the begining of the race
that Brad & Carl took `out Joey Logano
(he was in 8th Position in Ranking @ the time)
Now he's not.
But then the two drivers added to their history of getting together earlier during Sunday's race when they bumped on Lap 41 and Edwards ended up getting shoved into the No. 20 Toyota of Joey Logano, effectively ruining both of their days.

I give partial blame to NASCAR for encouraging driver's
to go @ it for the viewer's.
"Do they want to see Blood ? Death ?
It sells, but is this what we want ?
I really hope Carl & Nascar can resolve this issue,
and get back to racing & not purposely wrecking
each other...
4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 03-09-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM

I like Carl, I don't care for Keslowski, think he's too cocky for his own good. However there are at least 3 tracks that drivers have to keep their heads at and not look for paybacks. Talladega, Daytona and Atlanta (the three fastest). I'm sure Carl was shocked and perhaps a bit scared when he saw what had happened, certainly he had no intentions in flipping the car. Earlier I had given him kudos for admitting after watching the tape that Brad may not have done him wrong, but then to come back and do what he did... The earlier contact... perhaps Keslowski could have/should have lifted quicker. He did admit that he had but not soon enough to save the contact. Did he??? IDK but he held his line and Carl did come down into him. Flashback to Talladega same thing Brad held his line and Carl tried to block him, granted then it was for the win and this past weekend it was basically for nill, but Carl knows Brad. He knows how he drives. Why would he have pushed the issue there? He knew Keslowski was going to give no quarter and yet he tried to sneak in there. Now if Carl had waited until next weekend in Bristol, or Martinsville for his payback, it may have gone unnoticed and unpunished. I can't see NASCAR not suspending him for at least one Cup race, not Nationwide, he didn't commit the foul in Nationwide he did it in Cup, he should have to pay for it in Cup.

That being said NASCAR REALLY needs another Dale Sr. Someone that can and will pull these brash young drivers aside and give them a "smack upside the head". I don't see anybody in NASCAR right now that could fit the bill.

Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong!
`Brian, we respect & value all our member's opinions 4-Sure
UPDATE from Nascar: 3/10/10

'Not acceptable' for Carl or `Space 4-Sure

NASCAR president Mike Helton said Carl Edwards "crossed a line" Sunday in Atlanta. Along with being parked during the race, Edwards will be on probation for three races.

Sound Off: Mike Helton | More: NASCAR sends out mixed message with decision
Bristol, Tenn.
Intermittent Clouds 43°
Forecast

Concerns return after Keselowski flip

After seeing No. 12 get airborne, drivers voice concerns about safety.
506 Comments
Chatter: Edwards

Reutimann credits sport for memories

Nothing Reuty enjoys more than cranking tunes, working on cars.
14 Comments
B3 challenge

Making Chase simple matter of 1-2-3

Mark Aumann has figured out a way to guarantee Chase berth.
270 Comments
NASCAR 101

Vampires, wolves; Ragan out of loop

No thoughts on Twilight, but loves his social media Web sites.
14 Comments
Shop: Ragan gear

SPEED Race Hub:
More than tires, flip

Rick Allen and Randy Pemberton look at the other stories from the Atlanta weekend.
What's the deal?

Writer's Block: Dog days of ... winter?

Midwestern girl Raygan Swan provides some snow-shoveling tips for the snow-covered South.
More Writer's Block

Head2Head: Too soon to have an off week?

A debate on if the sport taking an early break is a good idea.
60 Comments
Cup Series schedule

Sights and Sounds: One to remember

One flip, two G-W-Cs. Relive all the drama and intrigue from a wild weekend in Atlanta.
Race Rewind

Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM

I think it all comes down 2 the $'s

NASCAR slaps Edwards’ wrist, crosses fingers

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Mar 9, 2:19 pm EST

NASCAR won’t park Carl Edwards for purposefully wrecking rival Brad Keselowski on Sunday – a clip to the bumper that sent Keselowski and his car airborne before landing on its roof.
“We made it very clear to [Edwards] that these actions were not acceptable,” NASCAR president Mike Helton said in a teleconference Tuesday announcing a meager three-race probation. “We believe [Edwards] understands our position at this point.”
And with that wrist slap – if being put on probation for three races is even that – the “boys, have at it” era in NASCAR is in full effect. But as potentially reckless as such a policy is, it’s precisely what NASCAR could use at this point.
Related Video
Keselowski airborne
Keselowski airborne

Helton on punishment
More NASCAR Videos

The stock-car circuit has been plagued by dwindling interest, plummeting attendance and sagging television ratings the last few years. The shine has worn off what was once hailed as the nation’s fastest-growing sport. There’s little question the series got too dull, the drivers too corporate and the racing too predictable.
In January, Helton boldly stated that things were changing when he essentially relaxed the rules for the kind of frontier justice and retaliatory wrecks that the sport was built upon.
“There’s an age-old saying in NASCAR, ‘If you ain’t rubbing, you ain’t racing,’ ” Helton said in January. “I think that’s what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect.”
Or as NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton put when discussing a different rule change, “Boys, have at it, and have a good time.”
This is a dangerous game the circuit is playing, one that could backfire with serious injury or even death. That’s their gamble. Many racers would prefer the chance to settle their differences on the track and bristled in recent years at the repeated trips to the NASCAR hauler for postrace discipline. NASCAR heard the complaints – or saw the empty seats – and made a move.
Edwards tested NASCAR’s new policy to the fullest Sunday, the season’s fourth race. Early on in the event at Atlanta Motor Speedway, he and Keselowski made contact, enough that Edwards had to go to the garage for repairs. When he returned to the track, he was 156 laps down. With just three laps to go in the race and Keselowski fighting for a top-five finish, Edwards smacked Keselowski’s back bumper and sent him flying.
It was a wild, frightening wreck. Keselowski could’ve been seriously injured. Had NASCAR suspended Edwards, there wouldn’t be much room for argument. First off, he ruined the end of the race (where Juan Pablo Montoya was trying to reel in eventual winner Kurt Busch) and afterwards didn’t even pretend it was an “accident.”
“My options: Considering that Brad wrecks me with no regard for anyone’s safety or hard work, should I: A) Keep letting him wreck me? B) Confront him after the race? C) Wait til Bristol and collect other cars? or D) Take care of it now?” Edwards wrote on his Facebook page.
“I want to be clear that I was surprised at his flight and very relieved when he walked away,” Edwards continued. “Every person has to decide what code they want to live by and hopefully this explains mine.”
So there you go – hard-core retaliation at 190 miles per hour.

Brad Keselowski was fighting for a top-five finish when he was hit.
(Geoff Burke/Getty Images)

And NASCAR doesn’t seem too upset about it.
“We were willing to put more responsibility in the hands of the driver,” Helton said Tuesday. “But there is a line you can cross and we will step in and restore law and order if we think that line is crossed.”
And where exactly is that line?
“I think we see it when we see it,” Helton said.
Helton tried to make a big deal about “parking” Edwards immediately after the incident in Atlanta, but it was hardly a penalty considering how many laps down Edwards was. And the three-race probation is essentially nothing.
Helton’s idea on how to end the feud is to have “the two drivers talk it out.” Maybe at the end everyone can have lemonade.
The entire Helton teleconference on Tuesday was pretty comical. Diane Sawyer’s interest in the story was mentioned and “Inside Edition” was even on hand to ask a question.

By the end, the message was pretty clear: Keep banging, keep fighting and keep retaliating. NASCAR wants to return to its roots – wants to bring back the don’t-miss-a-lap action that made it so popular in the first place.
So have at it, boys. Keep watching, fans. And let’s all hope no one gets hurt. What We need the $'s

Last edited by Space; 03-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I still feel they are missing the point of the severity of this wreck. The WING that made it airborne in the 1st place. The roof flaps not working because of the lack of air from the wing. I haven't liked the wing from the start, and I STILL dis-like it. The wing can't go away fast enough IMO. I like the other changes they made.
Personally, I feel that NASCAR should make the teams use FACTORY sheet metal, and not these generic shapes they come up with. Add some ground effects, spoilers, canards, etc, but the basic shape is PURE factory. And the engines MUST be made production available in 500 cars minimum, as they used to be. Mod' from there.
Did Edwards wreck Brad K? YES! Did he deserve it? YES!
My 2 cents.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM

He was definately mad at Brad. They say hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure that Carl regretted what he did when he saw the car in the air. I imagine his own flight at Talladega went thru his mind when he looked in the mirror.

I do like Carl. Even if he does drive a Ford.

I love it when they beat and bang on each other and can finish the race. Don't like to see them wreck, but since that stupid wing has come along nothing has been right. Hate those ricer wings!!! Ready for the spoiler's return.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

ok, we have not heard from Brent (juniorcar) in quite a long time! Brent where are you, please post up some info, I really hope everything is ok! mia on juniorcar..............