NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Did Carl go to far Saturday?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Did Carl go to far Saturday?

So, did you catch that Nationwide race Saturday night? Hell of a finish. If you missed it, check it out here

Now I have defended Carl on many occasions and he has been one of my favorites, but he went way too far here. The way he defends himself this time only makes it worse:

"The deal is he'll eventually learn he can't run into my car over and over and put me in bad situations," Edwards said. "In every situation, there's an aggressor and there's someone who reacts."
"The way it went, he bumped me and he finished wherever he finished and I still won the race," Edwards said. "That's the only way I could see the race turning out fair."

Carl is usually so well spoken, and I guess he still is, but he is admitting Keselowski got him angry and he retaliated. And apparently he thinks Keselowski's bump and run attempt was equal to what he delivered back.

I strongly disagree. I'm not a fan of the bump and run. And the guys I call my drivers (like Jr. or Martin) do not use bump-and-run to win races. And that is why I like them. I do not need ever defend them on points like this. But I see a huge difference between bumping-and-running on the last lap for the win and driving so hard left into somebody's right rear until they are pointing backwards on the track.

Last time Carl got Keselowski upside down at Atlanta it was fair to say that Edwards had no way of knowing how badly Brad would wreck. That is not the case this time. Carl drove hard into him, knowing full well he was going to spin him around. Not only was it the most unsportsman like move that I can recalling ever seeing in racing (off the top of my head), but it resulted in no less then 10 other cars being torn up - at least 5 completely destroyed. Keselowski, or anyone else for that matter, could have been killed. And Carl did it on purpose. And what Keselowski had done to offend Carl had posed no such risk and was much more controlled and not out of anger!

I can't help but remeber Talladega when Regan Smith was stripped of his win over Tony Stewart for letting Tony Stewart force him bellow the yellow line and continue racing (apparently when this happens you are supposed to hit the brakes). I've never let go of that day - it was unjust and Nascar officiatings darkest moment. That were playing the popularity game. It was the only time (in my life) I remember a driver being stripped of his win. And how many cars/ injuries did Smith save that day? Ironically, Keselowski & Edwards would go on to prove how right Regan Smith was on the same track - same scenario (when Carl got upside down and the fans in the crowd were injured).

But doesn't it seem stupid that Nascar considers Smith's safety conscientious move at Talladega more offensive and penalizable then Carl tearing up the field to retaliate under anger for the win?

Last edited by JuniorCar; 07-21-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I was there & saw it all

I saw it coming, there was a caution with 3 laps to go & they were side by side & I was like ohhh boy here we go. I freaking lovee Carl, he's a local boy around here but I can't believe he keeps doing this. I think that those 2 need to act like mature & professional racers & talk it out to try to fix the problem. A lil bumping & banging is fine but those 2 are getting really ridiculous with this IMO

Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont think the link worked, i wanna see it tho, i know jeff and jimmie dont do the bumping and running, jeff has been my favorite racer since i was about 5 and 3 years later i instantly wanted a monte to be like him, which is how i got my dad to get one which was passed to me, but they never bump, and have always been genuinely good guys, i think if you have to cause a wreck to win, you should try a different profession, boxing perhaps?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Hi Brent, Brittany, Mitch & MCF Nascar fans.
I did not get to watch the race, but I do
follow racing on the Web.
Thanks Brent for your post & being our MCF Rac'in Reporter : )
`Brittany, it was SuperSuper that you were there
Did you take pic's ?
`Mitch, great post/story ~ > EnJoyed
Below is a link that has a great vid on the bump & run, & a good
article on this subject....

http://motorsports.fanhouse.com/2010...is-enough-eno/

Fasten your seat belt & click above

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
i dont think the link worked, i wanna see it tho, i know jeff and jimmie dont do the bumping and running, jeff has been my favorite racer since i was about 5 and 3 years later i instantly wanted a monte to be like him, which is how i got my dad to get one which was passed to me, but they never bump, and have always been genuinely good guys, i think if you have to cause a wreck to win, you should try a different profession, boxing perhaps?
I fixed the link.

I don't think Matt Kenseth would agree that Gordon doesn't bump - they had a lot of heat between them over the last few years. And everyone (especially Truex) was mad at Gordon after Infineon - even Jeff apologized for getting to agressive at the end of that one. Jimmie just won NewHampshire a few weeks ago after a retalitory bump to Kurt Busch, who bumped him from the lead a few laps before. But all of it was good hard racing and not intentional wrecking.

I gots no beef with Jimmie and Jeff - those guys are aces with me

Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
I was there & saw it all
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

that looked a little intentional. kinda makes me mad actually to be honest

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM

- The Pressure 2 Win @ any cost -
Big $'s creates Pressure
I've seen this is all competitive sports & in `life.
Win @ any cost.
In NASCAR I blame the officials for permitting it to happen,
but the fans seem to love `it...
Ever since I've started watching racing events, I've seen
dirty driving, especially when it came to getting a win.
I don't know the number of races that have been
won by dirty racing, but there are many.
It's the name of the `Game.
Today's top racing teams command budgets of well over $50 million a year [source: Clarke].
How much does a NASCAR race car cost?

Who Pays the Cost of NASCAR Race Cars?

Robert Laberge/­Getty Images
Budweiser pays a lot of money to have Kasey Kahne's car covered with its logo.
­Take one look at a NASCAR Sprint Cup race car and it's clear who's picking up the check for all of that super-engineered beauty. Their names are plastered all over the hood, the doors, the rear bumper -- in fact, every piece of real estate on a NASCAR race car is for sale. These are the venerable NASCAR sponsors, without whom none of this high-speed excitement would be possible.
An impressive 130 of all Fortune 500 companies are NASCAR sponsors [source: NASCAR]. This list includes popular brand names like Budweiser, Craftsman Tools, M&Ms, Office Depot and Tylenol.
Corporations shell out big money to be the primary sponsor of a Sprint Cup race team, between $20 and $25 million or more for long-term contracts [source: Margolis]. Primary sponsorship entitles a corporation to prime advertising spots on the hood of the car, on the front of the driver's and pit crew's uniforms, on the sides of the big rigs that haul the race cars across the country, and most importantly, unrestricted use of the driver and his car for print, radio and TV ads.
Then there are secondary or associate sponsorships. In this case, $2 million or $6 million might buy you space on the lower part of the hood, some of the side panels, and if you're lucky, a primary hood spot for some of the lower-profile races [source: NASCAR].
Corporate sponsors not only pay for the car, but help cover all of the research and development and maintenance costs associated with a big-budget racing team. At Hendrick Motorsports, which employs 500 people, sponsors are estimated to cover 65 to 70 percent of all infrastructure costs. The rest is paid for by race winnings and other endorsement deals [source: Margolis].
In the early days of NASCAR racing, the relationship between the sponsor and the race team was predicated on winning. The old adage was "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday," especially when the winning car was available at the local Ford dealership. The first NASCAR sponsors in the early 1960s paid about $200 per race [source: NASCAR].
But now the sponsor/racer relationship is a lot more complex. Instead of being purely about winning, it's about giving the sponsor the most bang for his buck -- i.e. the best return on his investment [source: Margolis]. This can happen on the track or off the track. Even if a big-name driver like Jeff Gordon isn't winning races, his image and personality can still sell boxes of cereal or quarts of motor oil. Today, primary sponsors pay closer to $500,000 a race, so the stakes are considerably higher.
When economic times are tough, race teams need to get creative. For example, when gas prices exceeded $4 during the summer of 2008, some NASCAR teams went shopping for special fuel sponsors [source: Smith]. Interestingly, this was to cover the cost of the diesel fuel for hauling the cars around, not the racing fuel (which is free from NASCAR sponsor Sunoco).
For even more information about NASCAR and the business of sports, follow the helpful links on the next page.

Previous Page Next Page

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Below are a few Examples

Michael Schumacher, winner at any cost - The National Newspaper

Mar 12, 2010 ... Add to that his win-at-all-costs stance when in Monaco, the year he quit, he deliberately dumped his Ferrari on the racing line on a crucial ...
www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100313/... - Cached
Cycling: Wiggins driven to bring Tour win at any cost - Others ...

Jan 5, 2010 ... Cycling: Wiggins driven to bring Tour win at any cost ... of astonishment across the established centres of Pro Team racing in Europe. ...
www.independent.co.uk › SportMore SportsOthers - Cached
Daytona: Has It Become Winning At Any Cost?

Jul 5, 2009 ... Daytona: Has It Become Winning At Any Cost? - The cost on Kyle Busch could ... It's just restrictor-plate racing at its best ... or worst. ...
racingblips.dailyradar.com/.../daytona_has_it_become_winning_at_any_cost/ - Cached

Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Carl went too far, very easy to see that. There is a HUGE difference between bump and run and pure flat out wrecking someone.

Talladega Carl wrecked himself. As Brad said in victory lane, " Nascar told us not go below the yellow line, so I didn't. Carl turned acrossed my front end."

Atlanta I understand Carl being upset, but again. wrecking a guy on the straight away at 190MPH intentionally is a bad idea and not racing at any form.

Gateway, Brad got loose, very easy to see in the replay. I do how every understand again that Carl felt Brad did it on purpose. You can "loosen" a guy up without turning him like Carl has done.

Nascar has not done enough. 60 points and $25,000 is nothing for him in the Nationwide series. Kevin Harvick had to sit out a full week of even CUP racing for what he did in the nationwide race. I hope it does not take someone getting hurt or even killed before we stop these two.

on and.. I am NOT a fan of either of these drivers.

Last edited by Hoss Lanier; 07-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Did Carl go to far Saturday?