NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Montoya spins Pruett, wins Mexico NBS race

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Montoya spins Pruett, wins Mexico NBS race

[align=left]Montoya spins Pruett, wins Mexico NBS race[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=left]Colombian rookie rebounds to earn first NASCAR victory[/align][align=left]By Ioan Grillo, The Associated Press
March 5, 2007
10:18 AM EST
[/align][/align]
MEXICO CITY -- Juan Montoya spun teammate Scott Pruett to take the lead with eight laps left, then held off Denny Hamlin to win the Telcel-Motorola 200 on Sunday for his first NASCAR Busch Series victory.

[/align][/align]
Montoya, the Colombian star who jumped from Formula One to NASCAR late last season, recovered from a bad pit stop to aggressively move from 19th to first, taking the lead when he sent Pruett's car spinning on the 72nd lap.
"I'm very sorry about what happened with Scott,' Montoya said. "I thought he saw me and when he came across I had no room to go.'
Pruett was clearly upset.
"Of all the people to take you out -- your teammate,' Pruett said. "That was just lowdown, nasty, dirty driving.'
Hamlin, right behind the two Chip Ganassi Racing drivers at the time, said it was a tough call.
"I wouldn't call it dirty driving, but it was a bit aggressive,' Hamlin said. "Juan had the fastest car and he would have taken the lead sooner or later. He was overzealous.'
Hamlin, the winner last year, pressured Montoya in the closing laps, but couldn't pass on the 2.518-mile Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez road course's S-curves.
Boris Said finished third in the race that ended with a green-white-checker finish after a late caution. Carl Edwards was fourth, and Pruett finished fifth.
"I'm really glad we won, but really upset that we took out a teammate,' said Brad Parrott, Montoya's crew chief.
Montoya, who had the dominant car for the entire race, made a green-flag stop on the 45th lap, but a fuel malfunction forced him to return to the pits about 10 laps later. After a caution, he started 19th and quickly moved his way back to the front of the field.

[/align]

[/align]

[/align]
Also Click on Subject below for more infor:
[ul]Must-qualifier Sauter off to solid Cup start
Chapultepec Park in Mexico full of history
Remorseful Montoya breaks only team rule
Future in Mexico City up in air as deal ends
Hamlin plays it safe and settles for second
Montoya spins Pruett, wins Mexico NBS race
[/ul]
[/

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Montoya spins Pruett, wins Mexico NBS race

i can't believe that...i just watched the clip for the accident and the interview and everything...

you can see that spin out was intentional...no matter what he says..he should have tried to pass him clean...especially if its your own team-mate!!

what a way to get your first win...sorry..i dont like the guy...i hope he doesn't win anything in nascar..be nice when it gets to sonoma and jeff gordon smokes him!!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 PM

`Josh, Oh Sorry Mr Mod Wiz Kidd I didn't get to watch the race, but have been listening
to the news & many sports commentators agree with you. My computer is to weak to view
it online : ( I hope they show it on Sports TV this eve). I just think with all the money that has
enter NASCAR racing, that the pressure has been crazy for drivers to win. Unfortunately at all
cost. I wish I had Montoya's talent & money : )For many in racing 2day, -a win is a Win...I don't agree, but I know that I'm different.....I guess all the members know that, by now.
I am a product of my grandfathers teachings.
He is my mentor : )
Peace Out
`Space

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM

[:-]Just rec'd in Email FYI: More Coverage on Racing [:-]

THE BIG STORY

The high expectations for Juan Pablo Montoya's first NASCAR road course race, Sunday's Busch Series Telcel-Motorola Mexico 200 at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriquez in Mexico City, were fulfilled - but not without controversy. Montoya won by .498 second over Denny Hamlin on a green-white-checker finish, but got the lead by spinning Dodge teammate Scott Pruett in turn one with eight of the scheduled 80 laps remaining. Pruett dropped to 17th but was able to finish fifth. Boris Said was third with Carl Edwards fourth. Edwards is 40 points ahead of Hamlin.Return to Top

NASCAR Busch Series

Scott Pruett earned the pole for the Telcel-Motorola Mexico 200 at the 2.5-mile, eight-turn Autodromo Hermanos Rodriquez with a 103.647 mph lap in his Dodge. Juan Pablo Montoya got under Pruett in turn one on lap three and motored away to a big lead. Early pit stops were the order of the day for many, with both Montoya and Pruett coming in on lap 10. On lap 23, Pruett got left-side nose and bodywork damage when hit by Alex Garcia. Pit sequences were finished for a lap 26 restart with Montoya and Pruett again running 1-2. They came in together again on lap 45, but Montoya's crew was only able to add about eight gallons of gasoline due to a problem with the overflow tube. He was able to pit again under yellow with 27 laps left and got four new tires - a key factor - as mechanics raised the rear deck lid to properly fuel the car. Montoya was 19th when the green waved with 25 to go. He quickly advanced and benefited from a series of cautions. He was third, behind Pruett and Boris Said, on a restart with nine laps remaining and moved around Said in turn one. The next time by, Montoya made another move to try to go underneath Pruett in the first corner, but banged into the rear of Scott's car and spun him into the grass. A debris yellow, the eighth for 13 laps, set up the two-lap dash to the checkered flag. Montoya led 43 laps and averaged 74.969 mph in becoming only the second non-American Busch Series winner, joining Ron Fellows.Return to Top

Rolex Sports Car Series

Alex Gurney took the lead with three laps to go when Max Papis went off-course and, with co-driver Jon Fogarty, won Saturday's 400-kilometer event in Mexico City. Colin Braun dominated the opening 56 (of 100) laps from the pole in his Pontiac-Riley and handed over a big lead to Papis. After the pit exchange, Papis led laps 61-87 but got caught in slower traffic and Gurney went around him in another Pontiac-Riley. On lap 95, Gurney got boxed-in by another car and Papis reclaimed the top spot, only to slide wide on lap 98. Gurney, Fogarty and owner Bob Stallings got their first series win, by 7.3 seconds over Papis, averaging 106.860 mph with no full-course cautions. Jan Magnussen and Max Angelelli were third in another Pontiac-Riley. Magnussen earned a drive-through penalty after contact with Bill Auberlen. Scott Pruett (fourth, with Memo Rojas) is three points up on Magnussen and Angelelli. In the GT class, Mazda picked up its first series win with Sylvain Tremblay and Nick Ham in an RX-8.Return to Top

Also

More than 60 cars took to the Bristol half-mile for a rain-shortened two-day Car of Tomorrow test. Jimmie Johnson was fastest at 122.007 mph. Ward Burton and Clint Bowyer wrecked . . . Tommy Baldwin Jr. was named interim crew chief for Jeremy Mayfield and continues as Bill Davis Racing's competition director . . . NASCAR cleared the books of the rest of its Daytona penalties: Mike Bliss No. 49 crew chief Lee McCall was fined $10,000 for an unapproved lower rear spring mount; Kevin Lepage No. 34 crew chief Randy Seals the same amount for the same violation; Jeff Burton No. 31 chief Scott Miller fined $10,000 for an unapproved rear spring lower truck trailing arm mount . . .