NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Which picks system should be used? (See post for details)
"Free For All" Pick any 3 drivers you want
85.71%
The previous race results: Pick drivers based on the finishing order from the last race
14.29%
Points Based: Pick drivers based on their points positions.
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

MCF Fantasy League Vote

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MCF Fantasy League Vote

So the main question is how do we go about picking guys. I think most people seem like they are okay with the bonus point system that I have for picking the last place driver, the top 10 manufacturer breakdown, and calling the number of cautions. However, some suggestions have been made on how to go about calling the drivers, and how many.

I'm thinking I'm going with 3, as forum tradition is 3. The question is, how do we pick them, and is a method too hard to understand?

So we could do a "Free for All." Pick any 3 drivers. If you want to pick Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Denny Hamlin at Martinsville, then go for it. However, there is no incentive to go for that long shot pick. And I'd kind of like to have that in this myself. But, I'm biased.

Another option is to use the results from the previous race to pick. For instance, you pick a driver from the top 10, a driver from 11-20, and a driver from 21-43. This forces that long shot pick.

Another way to go about forcing a long shot pick is an idea I came up with inspired by 77gp's idea of picking from the standings. Lets pick 2 drivers from the top 12, and one from 13th on back, or maybe a driver from the Top 5, 6-15, and 15th on back, something like that.. I'm leaning the 2 from the top 12 and then a "long shot" pick from 13th on back.

So the options are up... tell me what you want.

P.S. No one has made any objection to my dividing the season up into 4 "mini seasons", where after each 9 races, we will crown a champ, and reset the points so new people can join up and we can have more champions. I can always keep up with the poitns standings for each segment and we can figure out who the overall champion is at the end of the year too. Currently, this is my plan. Anyone who wishes to challenge shall speak now or hold their peace.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 01-15-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: The P.S.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane are you gonna have a formula for the data and an easy way to calculate the points for each member here who would like to participate or are you going to do the points input yourself? Depending on the number of entrants it could be kinda time consuming! My best suggestion is set it up through Yahoo Fantasy Nascar and go from there and maybe tweek it if possible!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

5 Year Member

I was planning to calculate points myself. How hard do you think it would be to get a lot of the members to sign up for Yahoo and all of that? Of course, as a human, I'm fallible to make mistakes. I could set up a spreadsheet on my computer where I just type in the numbers and get it all figured out fairly quick.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 01-15-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Hi `Duane,
I really appreciate your time & expertise on attempting to create a fantasy NASCAR revised game for our Monte Carlo Member's.
I know that you have dedicated a lot of your time/thoughts
into research & suggestions.
Not a E.Z. task 4-Sure.
I like the poll you created & I hope it reveals the wishes
of our NASCAR fan member's. (We are all so diverse in our
thoughts & opinions: )
KISS + Keep it Simple Smartie : )
Of course, as a weird alien, I'm fallible to making many, many mistakes

4-Really ~> Sure
Peace/Out

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yaaaahhh! A poll! We love to vote. Every thread should start with a poll, no matter how irrelevant

I like simple and enjoy playing the game as we have been. I'd like to score it of course, but not too many members are the hardcore fan that I or Duane are. I'd have no problem adapting to a more complicated scoring - I might even enjoy it. But I think complicates rules will lower interest. I don't care if we have casual fans picking Jimmie, Hammy and Harvick every week because thats what they know about racing. If thats what they enjoy, so be it - I'll be happy to have their participation. And I think I can pick better then that too. And I don't want to start disqualifying peoples picks cuz they didn't pick 'em right - that won't raise interest.

Let save all the complications for Cowboy who has volunteered to do all the math! Very noble of him! But I'll be double checking those numbers too (at least my numbers)... I want that MCF Cup!!!

Last edited by JuniorCar; 01-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

5 Year Member

Brent does raise an interesting propostion. Someone could put in there picks an hour before the race (whcih I am considering as the cutoff) and their picks not conform to the rules, and then they get discourage.d Right now, 3 people have voted for the free for all system. That's how I had it originally planned. you can't go wrong there. I have not voted as I want to see what everyone else is doing.

Hey Brent, you better check behind me... i might just cut ya

Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Hey Brent, you better check behind me... i might just cut ya
Sounds about right! You screw me for points. The I prove that I am right and start an appeal. Then your screw me again and your ruling sticks. Thats the Nascar way! I bitch to the press and then you penalize me more points for that! I love it!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 PM

5 Year Member

It looks like you've got it all figured out!! Haha, we've been bickering a lot between this and the Jeff Gordon forum haven't we, Brent?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM

15 Year Member

Shhh don't tell 'em I'm a Gordon fan!! Will ruin my wildly popular Junior image here!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM

5 Year Member

Well I'm counting 6 votes in favor of the free for all system, 1 in favor of the system of voting based on results fro mthe last week, and no one voting for my picks based on points system. Looks like I'm the only guy who thought that was a good idea!!!

Well it looks like we're going with the system that I originally proposed. It's going to be fun!!! Let's get ready for some Daytona!!