NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

`Bud Shoot Out : ) Pick the Winner ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default `Bud Shoot Out : ) Pick the Winner ?

Members, Pick/Post who you think will win the
Bud Shootout @ Daytona International Speedway
Race is Saturday Feb7, 09
[:-]

[/align]

The Budweiser Shootout at Daytona is all about who’s in and the manufacturers for 2009. Posted By Brian Vermette in NASCAR
[/align]
Finally, the off-season is just about over and now we can get to some racing and what a better way than with a race for the Cup series to get some of the drivers warmed up before The Daytona 500, yes I am talking about February 7th, the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona, which marks the unofficial start of the 2009 NASCAR Cup Series season, and while the race format has changed over the years, the main goal of how to get in to the race hasn’t changed until now, the shootout in the past was all about getting a pole from the previous season, winning a qualifying race or being a past winner of the shootout, however for 2009, last August, NASCAR announced a huge change in who’s in and who’s out of the Shootout.

Since the shootout is now all about a new race format and the manufacturers, the first change is in the format, gone is the 20-lap segment, ten-minute break, concluding with a 50-lap second segment, the new 2009 format has increased the race distance from 70-laps to 75-laps with the increase in the first segment from 20-lap to 25-lap segment, followed by a 10 minute break, then concluding with a 50-lap segment. What about a 75 lap race since NASCAR seems to be all about increasing the distance with 50 laps in the first segment, which would include a pit stop during it, a 10 minute break, concluded with a 25 lap shootout or just 75 laps flat-out, requires one-four tire change and one-fuel only pit stop, can change two-tires on the fuel only.

However the race format change is really no big deal, the controversy comes from how you qualify for the race, first, there is no qualifying race, second, winning a pole doesn’t get you into the race, nor does being a past winner of the shootout, in 2009, its all changed and it’s all about the manufacturers.

Getting in to this 75-lap Budweiser Shootout is very simple and being a pole sitter isn’t one of them, for 2009, it all depends upon two things, first what manufacturer banner you race under and second, where your car is in owners points. Each manufacturer has the top 6 in owner’s points in the field, it doesn’t matter who the driver was in 2008, it’s where the car was in the final 2008 owner’s points standings. In addition to top six cars per manufacturer, earlier this month, NASCAR announced that they are expanding the field from 24 cars to 28 cars, each manufacturer will receive a wild card entry in the shootout which will be either a past champion or seventh driver.

Both of these changes have received not only fan and media reaction, but also some drivers as well, so who’s in and who’s out of the 2009 Budweiser Shootout? Let’s start with the 2008 manufacturer champion, Chevrolet, defending champion #48-Jimmie Johnson (HMS), #29-Kevin Harvick (RCR), #07-Casey Mears (RCR) (Casey Mears is in because Casey Mears and Clint Bowyer swapped rides for 2009), #31-Jeff Burton (RCR), #24-Jeff Gordon (HMS) and #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.(HMS), the wild card entry is the man himself, the 2005 Cup Series Champion #14-Tony Stewart (SHR).

The one change should be Clint Bowyer in, Casey Mears out, Bowyer finished 5th in driver points, not the other way around, second is with the addition of the wild card, Tony Stewart is in, boy that makes a lot of fans including me happy. I guess NASCAR is listening to fans.

Ford: #99-Carl Edwards (RFR), #16-Greg Biffle(RFR), #17-Matt Kenseth (RFR), #6-David Ragan(RFR), #26-Jamie McMurray(RFR) and #98-Paul Menard (YR - received #28 owners points), the wild card entry is #96-Bobby Labonte (HOFR - received the #38 owners points). Dodge: #9-Kasey Kahne (RPM), #12-David Stremme (PR - new driver of the #12, where Ryan Newman us to be), #2-Kurt Busch (PR), Reed Sorenson (RPM), #19-Elliott Sadler (RPM) and #7-Robby Gordon (RGM), the wild card is #44-AJ Allmendinger (RPM).

The only change in the Ford champ should be, Travis Kvapil in, Paul Menard out, again drivers points and he earned it, while in the Dodge camp, why is Robby Gordon in, he’s a Toyota driver in 2009, not Dodge, wouldn’t Sam Hornish Jr. be in, he is the only Dodge driver in 2009 not in.
And Toyota has entered #11-Denny Hamlin (JGR), #20-Joey Logano (JGR), #18-Kyle Busch (JGR), #83-Brian Vickers (RBR), #00-David Reutimann (MWR), #55-Michael Waltrip (MWR), the wild card entry is #22-Unknown driver for Triad Racing Technologies (if they run).

Oh brother, how does Michael Waltrip and Joey Logano get in, here is where Robby Gordon might come in if the #22 is not running, can you see the this entertainment entry list now?

When it comes to qualifying, how about the top 22 in driver points (not owner’s points) from 2008, a qualifying race where the winner advances and a fan pick for another spot and that equals 24.

Besides the unique field entry list of who’s in and who’s out, two things come to mind, first it doesn’t surprise me that the race is all about the manufacturers since in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, we run the new Car of Tomorrow (Today), so the cars on the race track don’t look like the cars in the showroom and the COT doesn’t give anything to the manufacturers nor does winning a pole award in the previous season get you in the shootout, keep in mind that Coors sponsors the pole award, not Budweiser, so why would Budweiser want Coors in their shootout.

Second, I have two questions for my readers:
1) Who should in the Budweiser Shootout and who should? 2) Will you watch the Budweiser Shootout with an open mind, giving it a fair chance?

Personally, my answers are: 1) In would be Ryan Newman, Joe Nemechek, Travis Kvapil (all 2008 pole sitters, not in the field), Clint Bowyer, Martin Truex Jr. and Juan Montoya, out of the race, again that would go back to points. 2) Yes I will keep an open mind in watching the 2009 Budweiser Shootout.

Members, Please post your winner
[:-][/align][/align][/align]

Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Default RE: `Bud Shoot Out : ) Pick the Winner ?

Countdown to the 2009 Budweiser Shootout at Daytona - NASCAR Manufacturers Battle for Supremacy
Posted by: MSulka on Feb 03, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Countdown to the 2009 Budweiser Shootout at Daytona - NASCAR Manufacturers Battle for Supremacy

After major changes swept across the NASCAR landscape in 2008, the 2009 season appears poised to bring with it even more changes. The first evidence of change appears as engines roar to life for the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona International Speedway (DIS). The 2009 edition of the Budweiser Shootout – the 31st running of the unique race – places emphasis on manufacturers as it pits the sport’s four manufacturers in a head-to-head-to-head-to-head battle.
Speedweeks 2009 at Daytona will kick off with the Budweiser Shootout on Saturday, February 7. The 28-car field will feature the top seven race teams from each of the manufacturer camps, including 11 drivers from last season’s Chase for the Sprint Cup. The star-studded event will be a 75-lap dash around the 2.5-mile superspeedway for a total of 187.5 miles.

Chevrolet has been a dominating factor in the Shootout’s long history to say the least, winning 18 of the 30 previous races. Chevy’s driver line up this year, with a combined 47 starts and eight Budweiser Shootout wins among them, will be led by Tony Stewart. Stewart is returning to drive a Chevy for the first time after a one-year stint behind the wheel of a Toyota. Stewart has more shootout wins (three) and has earned more money in the shootout ($969,699) than any other driver in history.

Ford is the only other manufacturer with a team of drivers participating in this year’s event without a Budweiser Shootout win. Ford’s previous seven wins came courtesy of legendary drivers such as Dale Jarrett, Mark Martin and Rusty Wallace. Even though this year’s Ford contingent doesn’t include a driver with a shootout win under his belt, the group does have the second-most combined starts with 19 and includes two previous Sprint Cup Series champions in Matt Kenseth and Bobby Labonte. Labonte leads the way in experience with nine career Budweiser Shootout starts.

"To me, the top seven guys from all the manufacturers are probably going to be the top 28 cars, or close to it, so I think it’s going to make for an exciting race for the fans," said Brian Wolfe, Ford Racing Director, North American Motorsports. "I think placing emphasis on the manufacturers is going to just put all the best drivers in the race and it’s going to make for a lot better event. I’m excited about it."

Dodge is represented by a relatively inexperienced group in this year’s Shootout. Two drivers, Kurt Busch and Kasey Kahne, combine for nine of the 13 starts for the Dodge camp. Busch’s third-place finish in 2007 is the highest finishing position for any Dodge driver. His average starting position of sixth is also tops among all drivers in this year’s field, regardless of manufacturer.

Toyota is the most inexperienced auto maker, with drivers combining for a total of 11 starts in the Budweiser Shootout. Three of the seven drivers have never competed in the annual kickoff classic. But the lack of experience hasn’t diminished anyone’s expectations for the young group. Denny Hamlin leads the way with a victory in the 2006 shootout (in a Chevrolet). He brings with him last year’s early championship favorite, Kyle Busch, along with this year’s most anticipated rookie – Joey Logano.

"This year, having four manufacturers involved in the Budweiser Shootout is an exciting twist on the format of the race, as well as a great way to start the 2009 NASCAR season," said Lee White, president and general manager of TRD, U.S.A. (Toyota Racing Development). "With the top-seven cars from each manufacturer competing in the event, it’s sure to be a thrilling kick-off to a competitive week of racing at Daytona – and the Shootout could be a sneak preview of what will happen in the Daytona 500. This race is part of the history of Speedweeks at Daytona, and now the focus will be on the four NASCAR manufacturers."

The battle between NASCAR’s four car manufacturers will come to a head in the first race of 2009. The non-points Budweiser Shootout will be broadcast live on the FOX television network on Saturday, February 7th at 8:00pm EST. The race can also be heard simultaneously on the Motor Racing Network (MRN).

Additional Quotes

Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 29 Shell/Pennzoil Chevrolet

"(Switching the format) is an interesting concept. I think it’s neat to have something for the manufacturers. I think having seven from each manufacturer will make it fair, and I think you’ll probably see a little bit of team play among the different manufacturers when it all comes down to the end."

Elliott Sadler, driver of the No. 19 Best Buy/Stanley Tools Dodge

"The new format for the Budweiser Shootout highlights the manufacturers and should make it fun for the fans. It gives the race a little different look and flavor than it had in years past, but I think this is a change fans should support. I’m confident that fans will like the action and excitement that the new format brings to the table and the drivers that they see competing. From a driver standpoint, it allows the top seven drivers from each manufacturer to go door to door and compete for a win at Daytona. That is a pretty cool deal. Any driver, I don’t care who you are or what your name is, would like to add a win at Daytona to their resume."

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

wiz's pic's for bud shootout

1. Kyle Busch
2. Jeff Gordon
3. Joey Lagano

first 2 may change, its a toss up between gordon and busch

Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Space Picks 4 Bud Shoot-Out
[:-]
1. Dale `Jr
2. Tony Stewart
3. Jeff Gordon
Carl Edwards in a Furd [8D]?
I wish I could replace one of them in their ride
"2 `dare 2 `dream"
in
SpaceVision

Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM

1. Dale Jr.
2. Carl Edwards
3. Ryan Newman

Joey lagano probably 4th or 5th

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM

[align=center][/align][align=center]I was happy to discover that the race[/align][align=center]will be broadcast on FOX[/align][align=center]I don`t have cable where I live, and will be[/align][align=center]able to catch the race with rabbit ears [/align][align=center]We call it a bonus in `life...[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]

120Min. 08:00 PM ESTSat., Feb 7, 2009
[align=center][/align]
FOX Network CC ,Stereo
[align=center][/align]
Members, check you local listing

"Sprint Cup: Budweiser Shootout"
From Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla.
[/align][/align][/align]

Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Jr.
Edwards
Johnson

Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 PM

Jeff Gordon
Dale JR
Edwards

lagano wont finish

Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Jr always does good and i like casey and up in top 3 and another hendrik boy

Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 AM

That crazy Kid picked two of the top five. How did you do ?[/align]Time trials 2day on Fox Network @ 1PM EST.[/align][/align]It was a wild and crazy Shootout 4-Sure. Seeing all those race cars dancing around at over 190 MPH. I think Jeff Gordon deserves a Trophy for best control and missing major accidents during the race. I am looking forward to the future races.[/align]Thanks members for your contributions to this thread.[/align][/align][8D]Best Driver + Team + Car + Luck = Win [/align]
Race Recap: Budweiser ShootoutPosted by admin& `Spacein News

Kevin Harvick Wins One Wild Budweiser Shootout

DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. — Talk about a shootout. They’ll be talking about this one for years to come.
Kevin Harvick drove his Richard Childress Chevrolet to the front of the field on the very last lap Saturday night to capture one of the wildest Budweiser Shootouts in the history of Daytona International Speedway.
Harvick cruised across the finish line after a split-second crash behind him and runner-up Jamie McMurray wiped out a group of contenders, including defending Sprint Cup Champion Jimmie Johnson, contenders Kyle Busch and Brian Vickers, as well as Casey Mears and pole-sitter Paul Menard.
The stage was set for a 190-mile-an-hour showdown. when a caution fell with three laps remaining in the two-part 75-lap race. David Stremme nipped Greg Biffle coming out of turn four sending Biffle into the outside wall. Biffle had to realize it just wasn’t his night since he had been a victim of several other miscues by various drivers earlier in the race.
Read the rest of this entry »
Tags: #29, 2009 Budweiser Shootout, Budweiser Shootout, Kevin Harvick, RCR, Richard Childress Racing, Shell[/align]

Feb 07 2009 [/align][/align]
Budweiser Shootout Results: Harvick WinsPosted by Kerry Murphey&KidSpacein News[/align]

BUDWEISER SHOOTOUT RESULTS
Kevin Harvick started the race 27th, lost the draft twice, brushed the wall, and survived a green-white-checkered finish to win his first ever Budweiser Shootout
1 27 29 Kevin Harvick
2 15 26 Jamie McMurray
3 6 14 Tony Stewart
4 28 24 Jeff Gordon
5 18 44 A J Allmendinger
6 14 9 Kasey Kahne
7 11 99 Carl Edwards
8 25 17 Matt Kenseth
9 12 2 Kurt Busch
10 10 18 Kyle Busch
11 7 83 Brian Vickers
12 1 98 Paul Menard
13 5 11 Denny Hamlin
14 21 48 Jimmie Johnson
15 24 07 Casey Mears
16 20 12 David Stremme
17 26 16 Greg Biffle
18 9 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr
19 8 96 Bobby Labonte
20 22 00 David Reutimann
21 2 19 Elliott Sadler
22 17 55 Michael Waltrip
23 3 43 Reed Sorenson
24 23 31 Jeff Burton
25 4 82 Scott Speed
26 16 6 David Ragan
27 13 7 Robby Gordon
28 19 20 Joey Logano

OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
-Joey Logano’s debut in the #20 Home Depot Camry ended on lap 4 when he was caught up in a wreck with Greg Biffle, Scott Speed, Robby Gordon, and David Ragan
-Dale Earnhardt Jr. led 24 laps but was wrecked late in the race
-Greg Biffle seemed like a pinball out there, bouncing off a bunch of cars in multiple wrecks[/align][/align][/align]