Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Will not crank but has fuel and spark

Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Default Will not crank but has fuel and spark

I have a 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo I bought it wasnít wired or had a distributor I wired it myself using a gm guide I guy sent to me I jus drop the distributor itís a msd hei I also put a brand new holly street demon carb and a holly high flow mechanical fuel pump itís turning over and act like it want to crank but it jus doesn't I check for spark and it getting spark and I smell gas getting to carb and it has been sitting for a while with brand new plugs in it

Old 04-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is your firing order correct?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Yes firing order is correct

Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Here's a few things I can think of , the actual timing and weather the distributor is in correct. Confirm the engine is on top dead center on cylinder #1. Pull the plug and put your thumb over the hole and have someone bump the engine. Watch the timing mark on the balancer when it gets to 0 degrees , if its blow your thumb out of the hole it's at TDC if not it's still 180 degree's off. If your sure it's at TDC and the harmonic balancer is pointing to 0 the rotor inside the distributor cap should be pointing exactaly at #1 plug wire or you should be able to turn the distributor to that spot. If you can't you will need to pull the distributor and re-install. Sorry if your beyond this part but it sounds like your issue. If the engine timing is off you can usually turn up or down to make run. Only other thing I can think of is a big vacuum leak from the carberator . Good luck

Old 04-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post

Is your firing order correct?
The wiring in this picture is wrong. The distributor goes clockwise as do the plug wire's.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Here's correct

Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS View Post
Here's a few things I can think of , the actual timing and weather the distributor is in correct. Confirm the engine is on top dead center on cylinder #1. Pull the plug and put your thumb over the hole and have someone bump the engine. Watch the timing mark on the balancer when it gets to 0 degrees , if its blow your thumb out of the hole it's at TDC if not it's still 180 degree's off. If your sure it's at TDC and the harmonic balancer is pointing to 0 the rotor inside the distributor cap should be pointing exactaly at #1 plug wire or you should be able to turn the distributor to that spot. If you can't you will need to pull the distributor and re-install. Sorry if your beyond this part but it sounds like your issue. If the engine timing is off you can usually turn up or down to make run. Only other thing I can think of is a big vacuum leak from the carberator . Good luck
what he said exactly!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.