Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Ignition/timing problem, need experienced help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Default Ignition/timing problem, need experienced help.

So I have an 86 ss with a 383 in it and the disty seal was torn so I took it out and indexed everything. Well there was oil inside of it so being the bright guy I am I took it apart, put it back together and low and behold I have no spark and I have no idea where to start. There is power and a solid ground at the disty but I don't know how to time it or what's going on in it I'm lost. Any help would be awesome. Id love to figure it out

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are you getting power to the distributor?

Use a 12v test light or a meter and check for power at the distributor wire by connecting/touching the positive lead of the light/meter to the wire and the negative lead to ground with the ignition in the ON position. If you don't have power you need to check the fusable link (a piece of wire in the circuit that acts as a fuse) and replace it if needed.

Is the engine on cylinder #1 top dead center(TDC)?

Pull #1 cylinder spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and have someone tap (click and release) the starter until you feel compression blow against your thumb. Then look for the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and continue turning the engine over by hand until the timing mark on the harmonic balancer aligns with the TDC mark on the timing tab.

Is the distirbutor properly installed?

Put the distributor cap back on the distributor and make a mark on the housing centered to the #1 tower of the cap. Holding the distributor as it would sit in the engine tilt it up and take note of how the spline in the bottom of the shaft is situated. Now use a flashlight and look down the distributor hole in the engine and make sure the oil pump shaft is positioned to accept the spline in the distributor shaft. If it isn't, use a long handled slotted screwdriver to turn it until it is in alignment. Slide the distributor into the engine with the rotor tab about 1.5" counterclockwise from the mark on the housing. Continue sliding the distributor into the engine and as the distributor and cam gear mesh the rotor will rotate clockwise and should be pointing at the mark on the housing when the distributor is seated in the intake manifold. Put the distributor hold down on finger tight, install your distibutor cap and hook up the power wire to the distributor. Put #1 cylinder spark plug back in, put the plug wire on and hook up a timing light.

Fire it up!

Have someone crank the engine and s-l-o-w-l-y rotate the distibutor housing counterclockwise until the engine fires. Check the timing and adjust to spec. Tighten down the distibutor hold down and check the timing again to make sure it didn't change when you tightened the distibutor hold down.

Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Last edited by 03SSLE; 05-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM

First and foremost thank you for your time typing all of that. I appreciate it- the disty has power and a solid ground. I'll have to give it a try at tdc again do you by chance know atop the harmonic balancer what tab is what mine was painted over. I took apart this ac delco and reassembled it and I'm thinking of getting the Msd street fire disty. Is there any disty you would recommend? Thanks Again

Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The mark on the harmonic balancer will (more than likely) be a groove cut into it. The exception would be an aftermarket balancer that has degree markings on it in which case '0' degrees would be TDC. The timing marks are usually on the tab that's attached to the timing chain cover. Bring the engine up on compression stroke as described above then turn the engine by hand until the groove in the harmonic balancer and the mark on the tab (either '0' or 'TDC') are aligned.

I've used MSD distributors in the past on a few of my cars and they worked well. I've also used Mallory and had good luck with them (with the exception of the older unilite design) so I think you'd be happy with either one.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 05-03-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM

im running the petronix flame thrower. its a cheaper than the other billet distributors, but still a great distributor.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM

The million dollar question.

If you found a pool of oil inside of your distributor would you replace it?
Thanks again for all the input

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM

what kind of distributor are you running? the factory hei?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM

I think.. I don't know if I should go external I'm new to all of this

Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 AM

ive never had a pool of oil in my distributor so i couldnt say id replace it if i did run across that. i wouldve switched it out once a did the motor swap. the factory hei is a good distributor, but with the rpm that 383 should turn im suprised it doesnt start breaking up after 5 grand. i would upgrade to a billet unit either the msd, or the petronix, and a decent coil.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM

So do an external coil? Totally a newb here, I picked it up off a guy and I really don't know what I'm all dealing with .. I plan on spraying though

Quick Reply: Ignition/timing problem, need experienced help.