Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Whining noise when turning..

Old 02-06-2019, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Whining noise when turning..

Ok so the night it got really cold here in IL my car (05 SS) suddenly started making this horrible scraping sound as I was turning.

It has since turned into a really loud whine. It gets higher pitched with the rpm going up and its much louder when turning.. Ive heard this sound on other cars in the past, sounds almost like a loud supercharger..

It will make this sound if im sitting still and turn the wheel also.

Steering pump??

I recently had to have the power steering lines replaced because apparently my headers were rubbing on it and rubbed a hole thru.. But heres the thing, I think there was already a leak in the power steering line but possibly the headers made it worse.. I drove with them for months before I noticed there was a real bad leak..

Yea so what do yous think? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by wht02monte View Post
Ok so the night it got really cold here in IL my car (05 SS) suddenly started making this horrible scraping sound as I was turning.

It has since turned into a really loud whine. It gets higher pitched with the rpm going up and its much louder when turning.. Ive heard this sound on other cars in the past, sounds almost like a loud supercharger..

It will make this sound if im sitting still and turn the wheel also.

Steering pump??

I recently had to have the power steering lines replaced because apparently my headers were rubbing on it and rubbed a hole thru.. But heres the thing, I think there was already a leak in the power steering line but possibly the headers made it worse.. I drove with them for months before I noticed there was a real bad leak..

Yea so what do yous think? Thanks.
Well usually when the Power Steering gets low or goes dry this causes the pump to whyne some and could be the PS pump has been compromised.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.