Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Weird starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Default Weird starting problem

Hi Folks,

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo, with the 3.4 liter engine.

A couple of days ago, my wife took the car to run around all over town, making a bunch of stops and restarting the car. Then she came back home and parked the car in the garage....

I went out in the morning to go to the gym and it would not crank at all.....Like the battery was dead as it could get, which is what I thought it was at the time. After further investigation, the battery is fully charged but it would NOT crank.

So, the next day I plugged in my OBD scanner and it threw no codes. Unplugged it, got out, closed the door and started to walk away...then decided to try cranking it again....It started right up....Weird huh?

I thought well, at least it isn't the starter . I tried to start it again later that day.....it WON'T crank.

BTW....I have NO IDEA if this is relevant or not, but the clock on the radio doesn't light up when the ignition is turned on.....I am totally confused about what might be causing this problem.

I could really use some of the great experience and expertise that resides on the Forum, to help me get this fixed.

TIA For any all help or suggestions you folks may have!

Bill

EDIT: I just went back to the car and plugged the OBD back in and it started right up.....I'm pretty sure that is just coincidence though. However, I was able to determine the Clock should light up when the ignition is turned on

Last edited by Bill Shideler; 01-04-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

My car started doing this exact same issue, periods where it would start perfectly and then suddenly it wouldn't start, with no rhyme nor reason as to why. Turns out it was the starter, it appears if mine was slowly dying, which is exactly what is happening to yours by the sounds of it.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
My car started doing this exact same issue, periods where it would start perfectly and then suddenly it wouldn't start, with no rhyme nor reason as to why. Turns out it was the starter, it appears if mine was slowly dying, which is exactly what is happening to yours by the sounds of it.
I would have to agree, if it weren't for the radio/clock issue.....If the clock is lit on the radio, it will start....If it isn't lit up...then it won't start.

This leading to conclude there is a wiring or some kind of electrical module or something?

Thanks for the reply

Old 01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Then it could be your ignition switch itself going bad, these are problem areas for our cars as well. We also have issues with the hazard switch, which may be the culprit

Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ohara
Then it could be your ignition switch itself going bad, these are problem areas for our cars as well. We also have issues with the hazard switch, which may be the culprit
I'm still in the process of trying to figure this problem out. So, I have removed all the dash parts to gain access to the switch and have removed it. I went ahead and ordered a new switch, which should be here next week.

In the meantime, I want to check the wiring harnesses that plug in to the switch for continuity (to make sure there are no shorts).

I bought a multimeter, but am not sure what to do to check it (without removing the harness from the car)......Do I probe one wire at a time and find a ground on the car to test this?

TIA

Bill

Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your ignition switch could be the culprit, but it could also be your BCM (Body Control Module) witch controls the Radio, Dash Lights, Pass Lock System and a few other things.
It is, at least in my 02 SS, located under the dash above the Emergency Brake. And if it is bad or has a bad connection, just opening and closing the driver side door could trigger it to act up. If you have access to a TECH II scanner, it can read the BCM. A regular scanner will not.
As I said, it could be either the ignition switch or the BCM, using a Tech II scanner is really the only way to tell!