Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Weird loud chirping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007 | 07:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Weird loud chirping noise

thats good to hear there's nothing wrong with them...maybe it was just something in the alignment...just sounded to me like a hub bearing was gone

Old 04-06-2007 | 08:27 PM

Had thechirping noise in my 2002 MC pace car...took some WD-40 and sprayed behind the alternator pulley while the engine was running....chirping went away in a few seconds....tells me i will need a new alternator soon.....bearings on their way out!

Old 04-06-2007 | 09:44 PM

bad news, the noise is still there even after being aligned. Im wondering if these guys even looked at my hubs. Gonna take her back in 2morrow

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:58 AM

You will notice a change in the sound of a bad hub and bearing in a turn. While you hear it steady slightly turn the wheel and listen for a change. If it gets louder going left the right is most likely the problem and vice versa. Personally I have rarely seen both go bad at the same time, but I have seen it.

Had thechirping noise in my 2002 MC pace car...took some WD-40 and sprayed behind the alternator pulley while the engine was running....chirping went away in a few seconds....tells me i will need a new alternator soon.....bearings on their way out!

Sometimes the serp belt can cause a chirping noise. After a while the belt can form a glazing on it which can make it slip slightly making the chirp. Belt dressing and WD-40 or similar lube can help but not a perm fix. Try a new belt, it's a lot cheaper than an Alt and if you end up having to replace the alt you will already have a new belt.

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:50 PM

Rcohen
check your tires and see if they are CUPPED,
Cupped tires will make a noise when going down the road and will change with speed and what type of road you drive on.
If the alignment has been out for a while it most likely has caused this problem.
Rotate the tires from front to back and see if the noise changes from front to rear when you do it.

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:56 PM

for the weird noise
I have an 2000 SS and I have this loud *** chirping noise that comes and goes while Im driving. It sounds like a huge cricket is trapped under my hood! Its not my belts I changed those. What is it!?

I would check 3 things here
1. Alternator (GM does not put the cap on the rear bearing anymore)
2. Belt tensinor and all the other ilder pulleys (use the screwdriver like someone stated)
3. A/C clutch plate on front of the A/C compressor, the fingers on the plate will break cause the plate to be loose and rub the pulley that the belt goes around. The noise will sometimes stop if you turn on the a/c system

Keep us posted on what you two have found please

Old 04-09-2007 | 03:02 PM

It was the hub bearing, I had it replaced ($400 including labor--ouch!). My tires are brand new and I just had my car aligned so hopefully we are set for awhile. I hate seeing parts for 90$ and than having sumone charge you 280$ for em. Wish I had a lift!

Old 04-09-2007 | 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear about the bearing.....

Labor
They always seem to get you deep in the pocket.....
I guess its the cost of living to keep the light turned on....

Old 04-09-2007 | 03:21 PM

$90 was that for the bearing or the bearing and hub?

Old 04-09-2007 | 08:59 PM

i saw the hub assembly online for 90$, u cant replace a bearing on our cars, u need to do the entire assembly

Quick Reply: Weird loud chirping noise