Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Vehicle Vibrations (New post... need help please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't touch any part of the steering or the strut and the axle came out easily. When you remove the hub, all that's left is pulling it out of the transmission. Then it comes out in one long piece. Rather easy IMHO.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you put the axle back into the transmission make sure it's lined up with the splines and snaps into place.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM

bet i would of started with the cv axles, and the one dude is right. those slotted and drilled rotors are not a great idea, they look nicer but in my opinion they dont operate any better. unless your out racing the le mans. hell summit has the axles for like $56 a piece i think.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought R1 concepts makes some good quality rotors??? Infact before I bought them I searched the internet including this forum where a few of the guys really stood behind there product. Its a rather weird problem I am faced with. When I let the car sit for a while and drive it for the first 15-20 minutes it drives alright (to say the least) but when I go from 80-100 to 20km/hr stop and go traffic the wobble/vibrations kick in. Day by Day I notice it getting worst. The funny thing is though, when I apply the brakes I dont get any shimmy which is pretty unusual. This problem is getting to my nerves and I need to save up a little more money before I purchased new front end drivetrain parts. ( If that is my problem)

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
15 Year Member

Well, on another Monte Carlo forum, a few of the guys bought those R1 rotors and all of them had cracks after minor mileage (less than 10,000). You may want to check yours out and make sure they're still in decent condition.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member

Hi nitehawk. Today I went ahead and installed a passenger side wheel hub assembly. (approx time. 3 1/2 hours lol). I was unsuccessful at removing the CV axle. I bought and used a pry bar and to my discovery the prybar hardly fits between the axle/transmission and the subframe. The subframe is massive, I dont know how I'm ever going to get leverage with this bar. Anyways, is there another technique that I can use to possibly pulling out that CV or is it hopeless at this point to continue and take it to a mechanic and have him do it? Man what a bummer I feel so low that I failed. Thanks for your info though bro, it was greatly appreciated.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
15 Year Member

No prob. The problem is there's a little snap ring on the end of the axle. Look for any kind of lip on the inner tripot casing that you could use the prybar with. Luckily mine had that little lip. Try physically pulling it.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member

yep. your right that compression ring is holding it in place. Thats what my neighbour told me as well. BTW the new one i bought was from www.racepages.com it was supposed to be an A-1 Cardone CV instead they shipped it in an A-1 box while the axle has interparts written all over it. Anyways I tried pulling it out with my hands but no go. I was kind of nervous to do it like this incase I damage anything internally. Also, is the car supposed to be in neutral or in park when taking it out? Other than that there is hardly any room to move around in there. it would be nice if someone that owns a similiar vehicle who did this repair already give me a few pointers. Thanks for getting back at me Hawk.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM

You should be able to use a small screw driver to pry between the axle and transmission. Give it a few sharp tugs and it should pop free, you may have to rotate it a few times and pry in different areas. It shouldn't take much force to pop it out. When installing I usually put a small dab of grease on the snap ring which holds it in place when you slide the axle in, once its in the ring will go where it needs to go. Just make 100% sure its in all the way, if not it will destroy your transmission. You can use a small rubber hammer to tap it in the final few centimeters

I think your going the right direction in replacing the axles. I've seen this problem on other cars and the axles usually cure it

Old 09-24-2010, 07:54 PM
15 Year Member

labnjab has some good pointers. You won't mess anything up while just trying to pull it out, all you need is to get it past that damn snap ring then you'll be good to go. IDK about that part you got, but it SHOULD work. Try the screwdriver. And again, it's no problem, I know how big of a PITA it is when you have no help with your car.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Vibrations (New post... need help please)