Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Valve body help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Valve body help

Hello, I have a 2003 chevy monte carlo SS 3.8. My trans would not move no matter what gear I put it in. So I tried my hands at a transmission rebuild. I figured I have to replace the tranny anyway so why not learn something in the process. So I bought a rebuild kit and changed the clutch plates and seals etc. I didn't mess with the valve body as I thought it was just the clutch plates as they were totally waste. I put everything back together and the results were a little better but not what I had in mind. The gears in reverse and "L" (Low) worked great but the other gears did nothing. being new I had no idea what I did wrong or if I even fixed the issue in the first place. After a week I notice a piece of the tranny that had rolled behind my work bench. I knew it went to that tranny and specifically the valve body. I have no ideal where it goes but I know it has something to do with the valve body. I will take a picture and post and hope someone can help me and show me where to put it and also would it cause the issue I am having by leaving it out? any suggestions helps this newbie.

Specs. 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8 with a 4T65E Transmission.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0687.jpg (101.6 KB, 3 views)
IMG_0686.jpg (101.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by bigmyyke; 11-22-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Left out specs.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't tell what that is from the pic. A few other things, did you inspect the forward, manual, reverse bands? The valve body is probably clogged with clutch mud and needs cleaned very well. Also while your in there replace all the sensors.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:23 PM
1 Year Member
Default Look at photo tell me where this part ams from. (transmission/valve body part)

I have a 2003 chevy monte carlo 3.8 ss. I tried my hand at doing a trans rebuild because I knew the trans had to be changed anyway. The reason I did this because the car would not move in any gear. After rebuild the trans would then go in reverse strong and the "L" gear but not in drive or 1 & 2. I have no idea what went wrong. I then noticed a part that must have rolled behind my work bench I had all my parts on when rebuilding the transmission. I believe it came from the valve body. Can anyone tell me where this part (see picture) go and what does it do? Would it stop the other gears from working? Thank you in advance.

Attached Images
IMG_0687.jpg (101.6 KB, 1 views)
IMG_0686.jpg (101.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
1 Year Member

Hi Turbo Monte. I really appreciate you responding. I did inspect the bands but were there anything specific I should have been looking for? Also I didn't replace any of the sensors so I will do that. I really feel the part came off the valve body. Do you have a picture of a valve body or the inside of a transmission that may show this part? I will clean the valve body again. Thank you again of your help.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would have to dig for some pics but I'm sure I have some. You said you didn't take apart the valve body so that's probably your issue. Your losing fluid pressure do to a clogged valve body and or channel plate.

On the band's you wanna check for chipping, scoring, burning. There should still be material there also.

Check your sprags as well to be sure there not messed up.

There is tons of things in these trans that can go bad honestly and it's hard to diagnose it without being there.