Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Turn Signals, AC/Heat Fan, Gas Guage, Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Default Turn Signals, AC/Heat Fan, Gas Guage, Electrical?

Any help and advice is much appreciated. I have a 2000 Monte Carlo GTZ (LS w/GTZ Dealer Package). Please bare with me – may be more information than needed, but figured telling all I know might help someone shed some light on the issue.

Last summer my turn signals started intermittently not working, but I could hit the hazard switch and get them to start again. It seemed liked this happened when it was raining or had been raining. Then just as suddenly, about 6 months later, I was having no problems. At that time, my heater/ac fan started intermittently working, regardless of what speed. I could be going down the street and it just stop blowing. Or I could start out and it wouldn’t blow, leave the fan switch on and as I went down the road, it would come back on. The period of time it works or doesn’t work varies. Then, several months later, I stop having issues.

Now, for about a month, both the turn signals and the heater/ac fan are acting up in the same ways again. Also, my gas gauge, stopped working correctly several months ago. It always reads either full or empty.

I did research online and concluded I needed to try replacing the resistor for the fan issue. That didn’t fix it. I have been told that if it was the blower motor, the fan wouldn’t work at all? Also, have had folks not feel it was in the switch because I can have the switch on and it not be working and toggle the ignition on and off – sometimes repeatedly – and get it to come on.

For the turn signals, research said I should replace the hazard light switch………but I am now wondering if everything isn’t somehow connected and it’s an electrical issue. I don’t have the money to take it to a dealer and start a long process of diagnoses and part replacing. So far I have depended on my dad, nephew or my neighbors son to help with mechanical work. Dad is old school and hates cars after they started having computers……..my nephew and neighbors sons are really young and not comfortable unless it’s something obvious, etc.

Thanks, Melinda

Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM

I would look into the body control module [computer] it controls so many items on our cars. Mine occasionally has a similiar problem that the a/c wont do anything along with the cruise light staying illuminated and my overhead module wont work. I have learned in my cars case to turn the blower switch to the high blower position and back to off will usually get it working again. Weird scenario.