Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Turbo Monte makes no power, wont rev past 4K

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Turbo Monte makes no power, wont rev past 4K

First off, I just wanted to say thank you to all the helpful people on this forum. I never would have gotten this far if not for all the information I've learned from here.

Now, Ive got a bit of a problem with my monte. It's a 2003 SS with a ZZP Z3 turbo kit on it, its been turbo'd for over a year and 12,000 miles now without a single major issue, but this one is racking my brain.

The car drives completely normal without the turbo spooled up, but as soon as i hit boost the car falls flat on its face and acts like there is a rev limiter around 3800rpm. The AFR's are correct (.77 Lambda ~11.5 AFR), timing is the same as it has been, and it makes 8lbs of boost without problem. (The boost is supposed to be a little higher, it normally sits around 9.6psi). There are no engine codes, but there is a sort of popping noise coming from the front passenger side of the car while under boost.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem might be, i would love to hear them. Thank you.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Something similar happened to me, ended up being my PCV valve had issues. But then again you have to ask yourself if your feeling lucky...

Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What else does it do when it falls on its face? Any cel? Could be a missfire when under boost to to plugs going bad and or spark blow out. Do you have kr when it happens? We need more info to help further.

Btw there is only one "turbo monte" and that's me!

Seen this is only your second post so welcome

Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[QUOTE=turbo monte;

Btw there is only one "turbo monte" and that's me!

Seen this is only your second post so welcome[/QUOTE]

ha ha John has a tag a long, a prospect...

He has know idea the shoes he would have to fill to emulate you John...

Old 03-10-2017, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys! And you caught me, John's YouTube videos are the whole reason I went turbo lol.

John, ​​​​​​There aren't any cel's, I haven't checked if the knock sensor recorded anything, but I don't hear any pinging coming from the engine bay. I just replace the old plugs with new ones about ~1000 miles ago, they are autolite 103's gapped at. 45, same as what came out. I can try gapping them down some more though.

​​​​​Zippy, I've been suspecting the PCV valve of being bad for a while now due to a separate oil consumption issue at idle. You may be onto something. Seeing as they are super cheap ill throw one at it and see if anything changes.

P. S. I remembered this problem showed up right after degreasing my engine bay, maybe I messed up a sensor or something?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member

Ooh, and the transmission is completely stock. Not sure if that might be the problem or not, but i figured it would be worth a mention.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member

Trans wouldn't act like a rev limiter, it would just slip and car wouldn't move like it should.

Gap plugs down to .040 and see what happens. Also monitor kr when it happens. If you can record a video of rpm, speedo, and sound car makes when it does this that may help also. Also check your charge pipe connectors to make sure none are split and creating a major boost leak (if this was the case you would not be able to build boost at all most likely though)

I blocked off my pcv and run a external catch can personally. I have the pcv setup on these cars.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member

Glad I could be an inspiration to you going the turbo route!!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member

Will do! And i have breather/catch can thing too hidden in the fender. I blocked off the PCV port in the TB, but i think i still have the ball valve hidden under the map sensor on the UIM.

I figured that little valve wouldn't be doing much of anything with everything blocked off, but the PCV setup on these engines is so weird that idk. Either way, they are like $3 and take 5 minutes to replace. couldn't hurt.

Or if you know of a way to delete that valve, im all ears!

and absolutely! i hope one day my monte makes as much power as yours.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member

Im not aware of anything pcv related being on the TB. A proper pcv setup you will JB welded the inside of the pcv valve so it is plugged, then to vent the crank case you will tap a hose into front or back valve cover and run that to the catch can. You can also run a hose from both valve covers if you really want.