Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Tuned PCM issue.....or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tuned PCM issue.....or not?

So I finally ordered my tuned PCM from ZZP. Let me say this thing is awesome.....no hesitation on acceleration at all. Where you used to get the lag at about 45 MPH there is none, in fact when stepping on the gas I don't care where you are at on the speedo---it accelerates and accelerates nicely. Haven't tested the top end yet but had it up to 120 and had pedal left.

So with my short review out of the way I pulled into a McDonalds last night and I noticed it felt like something was "dragging" and the car wasn't pulling on its own as I sat and idled and I had to accelerate hard to get it to move. When leaving the drive thru window I heard this squealing and my ABS and traction control lights came on----I had a rear wheel that was "seized" up and not rolling? I was like WTH? LOL So I pulled over and turned off the car a couple times and that did nothing. So I decided to limp it across the street to an empty parking lot. The tire "broke" free and rotated after getting across the street but the lights remained on. I turned off the car and restarted and the lights were off and remained off for the my drive home. SO is this an issue with the tune? I noticed their instructions on their website say the ABS light will illuminate after installing the new PCM but will go out with normal driving. They fail to mention if one of the wheels will seize up LOL. My concern was if this happened on the highway it could probably cause a bad problem. So has anyone had a PCM tune from ZZP or done a tune and had this happen? I'm hoping it doesn't come back.

I will add that the relearn process went perfectly and I was able to start the car after following the first set of directions. I have no CEL of any kind and I have not done a "case relearn".....so I'm not sure if that is the issue?

Thanks for any help guys this really freaked me out.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This has nothing to do with the PCM. The PCM does not control braking of the car (there is a separate computer for this). The reason for the ABS light they mention is a different issue.

I would suggest you rip that brake apart and find out what happened. Did the caliper piston lock up, did the slide pins not let the caliper slide properly. But I would start there.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK so just bad timing and coincidence that it happened at the same time.

Now that you mention it I might have a sticky caliper or locked up piston....I get a hot smell every now and then after heavy braking. I'll tear that side apart soon and check it out.