Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tuned MC Up, Fuel Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Default Tuned MC Up, Fuel Filter Question

Hi,

New to the forum, but great forums indeed. Here is my issue, My car was stalling a lot, so since it is at 88,000 I decided to begin working on some maintenance issues. I did a tune up, changed plugs, wires, MAF sensor since I was getting the check engine light coming on, it corrected that code, but I am still getting a P0440 code changed the gas cap and this still persists.

New air filter, changed oil, topped off all other fluids. Well I went to try and replace the fuel filter and it will not budge, even saturating it with some PB Blaster, so here is what I want to do, I am going to cut the gas line where it is not rusted, flare the end, get a union, get another line bend it like the original, place it in the new fuel filter and the other end into the other side of the union, to avoid headaches, because I know it is going to break anyway.

Now I have made brake line in this fashion before so it shouldn't be any different for gas lines correct.

Also did a exhaust pressure test by placing my hand on the end of one of my tailpipes bey little pressure telling me that I might have a clogged CAT converter.

Any help would be nice or advice.

Will

Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 PM

I have yet to change my fuel filter which will be done in a week from college break, so I'm not too familiar with the fuel tank area.

For your stalling issue and the code showing up, it could be a few possible things. I'm willing to bet from my own experience it's the vacuum lines near the UIM. The vacuum lines are very fragile. I broke mine at one point assembling the top end back together. It's easily accessible, and they could have broke for you as well when you did your maintenance. The vacuum lines run into the throttle body, purge canister, and another thing I can't think of. An easy way to tell if that is the problem, is spray a bottle of starter fluid onto the vacuum connections. If the car seems to idle down, then the line needs replaced. If that is the case, which doesn't make everything entirely better.. You can't purchase this vacuum line assembly at a local auto store.. At least I couldn't. I bought mine from a Chevy dealer, that was kind of far out of town. I don't have the papers for the exact product # either. You don't have to necessarily buy the original. I guess you can rig it up, but I'm not clear on that, nor am I about that life.

If that doesn't fix it. Change the fuel filter as planned. Other than that, I only know of the idle air control valve.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ilee69; 12-10-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

P0440 is a tough one to diagnose. Could be any line that deals with that system and could just have a tiny crack in it. Typically a shop does a smoke test to find it.