Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission stuck in drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Default Transmission stuck in drive

We're dealing with an 03 Monte Carlo...

At a dimly lit corner in the rain turning into a Walgreens, I managed to jump up onto a hard median seperating flow of traffic turning left or right. I only went up on to the median on the drive's sideand couldn't stop because someone was right on my but in the turn and would have hit me from behind. To make matters worse, the had a side walk running through it perpendular to my car, effectively taking to hard curbs. After coming to a stop, I tried to put my car in park to no avail. It would not switch to any other gear. So I drove back to my house inspecting the area where the incident occurred to make sure no parts were left behind. When I got to my house with the car still in drive, I was able to get out of my car and physically push it forwards and backwards, which is weird to me that it would do that, but quite frankly I've never been in a position to push a car while in drive. I decided to shut the car down since this was at9 at night and I had no suitable placefor further inspection. That decision is going to cost me a tow because the car will not start now because it's still in drive. After further inspection this morning, the driver's side fog light was ripped out of place and some weld I'm guessing involving the stability of the steering had been torn apart, although there were no immediate problem with the steering. Without lifting the car, I see no other noticable problems to the under carriage and from what I can tell, no leaks.

From this description, does it this sound like a major transmission repair or maybe a "minor" one where the linkage between the shifter and the valve body(?) has become disconnected because it jumped out or possibly broke?A friend suggested this might be it.

What's it going to take to repair that weld...it's offset about 4" to 6 " to the inside of the car from the driver's side, directly between the fog light and tire at the lowest point. Probably more important is what was this serving before that's going to fail now?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Default RE: Transmission stuck in drive

Ouch! I'm thinking linkage like your friend suggested. You cant force it into another gear?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:17 AM

No...doesn't matter what position I have the shifter in, it always stays in drive. After going out again, it does feel like the shifter is "lighter", sliding from park to 3rd with less effort...

Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: boakesb
From this description, does it this sound like a major transmission repair or maybe a "minor" one where the linkage between the shifter and the valve body(?) has become disconnected because it jumped out or possibly broke?A friend suggested this might be it.
thats where i would start, look at where the cable hooks up to the trans. (look down kinda between the brake master cyl and the throttle body at the trans) while having a buddy move the shifter, see if theres movement, or if the cable is disconnected.

if the cable is disconnected... hook it up :P

if there is movement, and the lever/shaft goin into the trans are moving... make sure everthing is tight ,connected properly, and undamaged, because that little electrical box there is what signals the cluster/ gear indiactor what gear its in.

if theres no movement, or hardly any... and youre sure youre looking at the right part. then check that the cable is attached at the shifter and that the cable isnt damaged

Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM

I will do that if/when my buddy shows up! I don't even have ramps to raise my car to do this, but I have the rest of today and tomorrow to remedy that since no transmission shop is open for the rest of the weekend in these parts.

I had about decided even the diagnosis was out of my hands and was about to give up altogether. Thanks for some much needed direction. Any other suggestions/hints would be greatly appreciated as I'm not really a car guy, I only knew enough to get me in trouble on my old 86 Mustang.

Not that anyone will care, but I'll keep everyone updated!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:13 PM

we all care about montes and their owners here...thats y we are on a monte carlo forum...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 PM

well said kweef. let us know how it goes. hopefully it's just linkage. it definately sounds like it.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM

lol once again thanx couch

Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Bent linkage or pinched cable.

Do like 2000ls said.