Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission Issues After Engine Wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

who did the trans?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM

A local transmission shop 2 years ago. The warranty was only good for one year. Invoice says they did a rebuild.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 PM

I find it hard to believe your tranny would go all the sudden like that, especially with no signs of issues prior. I really think you either knocked something loose, or shorted something out. That may be a job for the dealer, to at least diagnose if nothing stands out.

***or take it back to the tranny shop, let them know the code and tell them you had them rebuild it. if they take pride in their work, they will at least value your business and investigate the issue and maybe confirm something was in fact shorted out.

Last edited by 2002 SS; 03-02-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
I find it hard to believe your tranny would go all the sudden like that, especially with no signs of issues prior. I really think you either knocked something loose, or shorted something out. That may be a job for the dealer, to at least diagnose if nothing stands out.

***or take it back to the tranny shop, let them know the code and tell them you had them rebuild it. if they take pride in their work, they will at least value your business and investigate the issue and maybe confirm something was in fact shorted out.
Yep with it rebuilt 2 yrs ago...
I would easily say he didn't change out the solenoids and did a soft rebuild.... I would definitely do a filter and fluid change... See if that doesn't fix the issue...
Like mentioned previously... Once it gets hot the filter plugs up and it quits working.... It just may clean it up enough for the solenoid to not trigger so easily....

Generally, 12 month 12,000 mile warranty constitutes a soft rebuild...
Now , I'm curious if the price he charged you refleck's a soft rebuild....
I would venture a guess between $1100.00 to $1500.00... am I close?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM

You're close. I got out of there for just under 2 grand.

What all takes place in a soft rebuild? Just gaskets?

Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM

I'm still trying to figure this out. I called the shop that did the work and of course their only advice was to bring it in, but I'd have to have it towed there (and probably back) so I'm hesitant.

I've checked the wires from the transmission wiring connector to the connector on the computer and most of them had continuity. I followed the diagram from this page:

http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/3m...ter-issue.html

Unfortunately the pinout isn't correct since only one of the pins are not used on the 2000 SS. The wires that didn't have continuity to the computer were: A, B, C, G, L, N, and O. Now, whether or not these are supposed to go straight to the computer? I don't know.

Does anyone have a good pinout and diagram for the transmission connector?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Another update:

I ended up finding the ends of all the connectors so nothing was wrong there. Finally gave in and had it towed to the shop. It turns out the torque converter is eating itself and junk is clogging up the filter. Changed the filter and fluid and drove it for a few miles before it was clogged up again. So I'm needing another transmission if I'm going to keep driving this. I only got 7000 miles on the last transmission.

The shop is asking $1500 to get me back on the road. I'm trying to decide if this is the end for me and the car.

On one hand, I'm sick of having a car I don't trust and leaks all over the place, but on the other hand I know that for the price of 3 or 4 new car payments I could just keep this Monte.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM

That's always a tough decision to make. What about getting a used transmission from a reputable junkyard? I've seen them as low as $700 with a little more then 100K on them. I wouldn't think it would be another $800 to drop one in.

At this point like you said you'll have to justify whether you want to sink more money into it or just walk away. I'm assuming you have the 3.8 in your '00 SS? I have been told by many, many people that these 3.8 engines last forever. So it stands to reason if the tranny is the weak point (which we all know) and you get that dealt with you should get a number of more years out of the engine.

Good luck with your decision.