Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission filter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission filter question

I'm planning on changing the transmission filter on my 2005 ss with 85000 miles on it (got it in 09 with 27k and i havent changed it yet) and was looking for some input on what type of filter to use. Get one from a dealership, autozone or one of those kind of places. And has anyone had any issues with an aftermarket filter?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Madmillz09
I'm planning on changing the transmission filter on my 2005 ss with 85000 miles on it (got it in 09 with 27k and i havent changed it yet) and was looking for some input on what type of filter to use. Get one from a dealership, autozone or one of those kind of places. And has anyone had any issues with an aftermarket filter?
Less thank 100k miles I suggedt a full flush to keep your transmission in best working order. A lot of people have differing opinions but we ten to agree when its less than 100k miles on the tranny.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So after the flush what brand of filter should I install?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Madmillz09
So after the flush what brand of filter should I install?
Shops will usually intall a good filter. They are the only ones who can do a full flush anyways. Its different than just dropping the pan and changing a filter.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I would NEVER do a trans flush. People who have developed transmission problems typically notate it after a trans fluid flush. Plus, a trans flush does not change the filter (that should still be changed regardless, and if you are going to change it after flushing the trans, you are only going to end up with a lot of fluid wasted in the end).

I would recommend a just doing a pan drop/fluid/filter change. I am aware that doing a pan drop does not change the fluid in the torque converter, but that is a small amount of fluid, and should not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things.

As for a filter brand, I don't think any filter is better or worse. I've used WIX on my last trans fluid/filter changes. I believe I've also used the generic store brand.

There is a claim the pan gasket is "re-usable". Everyone I changed at 100,000 miles, I did not like the condition of the rubber. Previously, I replaced it with the cheap-o free gasket in the box with the filter. The last time I did a pan drop/fluid/filter change, I bought the gasket referred to as a "re-usable" gasket. It is metal core with a rubber sealing surface, like the OEM. Made bolting the pan up a lot easier.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Personally, I would NEVER do a trans flush. People who have developed transmission problems typically notate it after a trans fluid flush. Plus, a trans flush does not change the filter (that should still be changed regardless, and if you are going to change it after flushing the trans, you are only going to end up with a lot of fluid wasted in the end).

I would recommend a just doing a pan drop/fluid/filter change. I am aware that doing a pan drop does not change the fluid in the torque converter, but that is a small amount of fluid, and should not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things.

As for a filter brand, I don't think any filter is better or worse. I've used WIX on my last trans fluid/filter changes. I believe I've also used the generic store brand.

There is a claim the pan gasket is "re-usable". Everyone I changed at 100,000 miles, I did not like the condition of the rubber. Previously, I replaced it with the cheap-o free gasket in the box with the filter. The last time I did a pan drop/fluid/filter change, I bought the gasket referred to as a "re-usable" gasket. It is metal core with a rubber sealing surface, like the OEM. Made bolting the pan up a lot easier.
Jason I feel this Is always something we will butt heads on. I find that most them time when peoples transmissions "fail afyer a fluid flush" they were having issues before and that's why they got It flushed in the first place, now it just seems easier to blame on a shop than to admit you copletely neglected maintinence on yoir car. Just from a mechanical standpoint the amount of shifts a trans does in 100k miles will cause serious fluid break down. But I like the individual to be Informed of both possibilities so as to make their own decision. So its good we have people who have good reasons for each opinion.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Jason I feel this Is always something we will butt heads on. I find that most them time when peoples transmissions "fail afyer a fluid flush" they were having issues before and that's why they got It flushed in the first place, now it just seems easier to blame on a shop than to admit you copletely neglected maintinence on yoir car.
I won't dispute that claim one bit. The people I've heard and read had trans problems after a flush, I honestly have no idea if they did or did not neglect maintenance intervals on the trans.

My friends and I have only done pan drops (no trans flushes). Since this maintenance has yet to steer any of us wrong, I can't justify running a risk of a trans flush. Also, keep in mind, I do all my own wrench work (I have trouble trusting my cars with others, and a trans flush requires trusting it with someone else).
I pan drop/fluid/filter change at 100,000 miles or sooner, never had a transmission issue. Last car was a '94 Grand Am, I pan dropped it twice, it had over 215,000 miles, sold it as a running car (that's just one of a few examples).
Before I forget, the amount of miles between pan drops varies a bit on your driving conditions. If you are in hotter climate or drive in a very hilly area, situations that stress the trans, the GM recommendation will actually tell you to fluid filter change sooner then 100,000 miles.
Not saying the manufacturer is always right (as I know a couple of things GM has been wrong about), but for years they recommend a pan drop/fluid/filter change. And I feel it's a proven maintenance method.

Take away the claim about "trans flushes killing transmissions", most people over look the fact that a flush does not change the trans fluid filter. Hence, the fluid may be fresh, but, the filter should still be changed. And if you do change the filter, does that get done before or after a trans flush? If after, then you're dumping what should have been good fluid out. And even though it was clean fluid, I would not put it back in the trans (as you don't know what contaminants may have snuck in).

If people want my opinion, that's what it is and why it is. I know many of us car guys share something in common, when you find something that works, regardless of what it is (product, maintenance thing, something that just makes you feel better), it's hard to sell them on something different.

Something I found interesting. My wife's '01 Mustang started this past spring with about 70,000 miles, due to age (not mileage) I pan dropped it. Ford actually has a way to drain the torque converter and do a complete fluid change. Due to the fact they tell you to remove a seal that you need to then replace (and I did not have a chance to find said seal when I got into this), I changed it like a GM (leaving the fluid in the T/C alone). Since Ford expects a full fluid change, I had to fill it until the dipstick read full (which I made a note of how much fluid it took). Just something I found interesting from a different manufacturer.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 AM

I'm worried about flushing myself, when I got mine it had close to 116K and my mechanic dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter, it also got the pressure control solenoid replaced at that point in time. The car shifts better now than when I bought it, it was doing pretty harsh shifts when I got it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ndaguanno
I'm worried about flushing myself, when I got mine it had close to 116K and my mechanic dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter, it also got the pressure control solenoid replaced at that point in time. The car shifts better now than when I bought it, it was doing pretty harsh shifts when I got it.
Mine had 117k on it when I got it. Started hard shifting a week later. Had a full trans flush which included a filter change. Got the pcs changed 2k miles later now sitting at about 124k and everything is nice and smooth. Only time I will say from experience iv seen a trans fail after a flush was on a E350 size 15 passenger van and it had been towing a trailer through the mountains in OD.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM

When I changed the tranny fluid and filter after I bought my car, I just did the pan drop and filter change and refill. I used a filter from Autozone and used the full synthetic Valvoline Dextron 6. It did this at about 90,000 miles and the fluid looked original.

It seemed to shift better after the change but sometimes it still felt sluggish and like it was slipping. I traded the car in this past August and it still shifted the same.

Wayne

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission filter question