Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Trans problem (Urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I'm not sure how hard its shifting obviously, but, my 06 LT 3.5L has always since the day I bought it shifted somewhat hard...Nothing to be concerned about, but you feel the shift, it just feels like its slightly performance tuned or something...

Like I said, I don't know how hard your is shifting, but I do know that a firm shift is normal for our cars.

If your still under warrently, I would have it checked out..

Also, when you had it flushed, are you 100% sure that the place you had do the work flushed your tranny with Dexron VI? ALL 2006 and newer GM cars and trucks REQUIRE the use of Dexron VI transmission fluid. If the flush shop did not use the correct fluid, and used Dexron III fluid, this could be your problem. The new fluid has a lighter viscocity than the old stuff, and is a semi synthetic fluid with new friction additives. Personally, I change my own tranny fluid, and I know Dexron VI is not the easiest fluid to find, so I would be suspicious that the tranny place you had flush the fluid, used the older Dexron III.

Anyway, just a thought...Good Luck
it shifts almost violentley (hard thud)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by PINKFLOYD_
Be careful about flushing it too much. I would get it scanned first.
had it scanned and she passed

Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmmm....Yea mine is not violent at all, just nice and firm, the way it should be...

I don't know of a way to test the fluid type, only thing I can recommend is flushing it out using Dexron VI fluid, that way you know for sure its the correct fluid, and go from there.........

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Talked to a tech i know and he said that its probally a fluid pressure valve that is sticking.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM

10 Year Member

How expensive is that to fix???

Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Not to shure yet but today i changed the oil and examined the fluids and found my transmission fluid to be over the mark (the engine was running and it was on a lvl surface) I wondering if the transmission problem is related to that but the problem only happens when the transmission is good and hot (aprox 30/45 min). So im wondering if when the transmission is up to temp the fluid is thinning out and might just turn out to be way to much fluid.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 PM

10 Year Member

Well, was your tranny fully warmed up when you checked the fluid?

You are right in the sense that you must check tranny fluid while car is level and running, but you also need to have the transmission up to full operating temp....I usually check mine after I get home from work or something where I just drove it for a little while...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM

Im not totally shure if it was up to full temp but it was dam close but you think that it is plauseable?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:49 AM

is there a way to remove the excess fluid without removing all the fluid

Old 01-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Looking to flush my own tranny fluid...Does the transmission have a permanent filter?

Quick Reply: Trans problem (Urgent)