Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

traction control issues!!please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Default traction control issues!!please help!

THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT ON MY 01' MONTE CARLO COMES ON FOR NO REASON, I HAVE HAD THE WIRES AND SENSORS CHANGED, BUT IT STIIL DOES THE SAME THING, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, THE MESSAGE IS SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM, AND WHEN THIS LIGHT COMES ON IT ALSO MAKES THE ABS LIGHT COME ON AND THE TRAC OFF LIGHT COME ON, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: traction control issues!!please help!

is the abs sensor & the traction sensor in the same thing on these cars?? if so it could be your hub assembly (with abs sensor) thats gone.

i know the traction sensor sometime gets screwed up in the cold weather as thats what happens with mine every now and then, but its just the cold thats frozen it up

other than that i dont know what it would be unless you just had your computer re-flashed

Old 11-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

The traction control came on the LTZ a couple of weeks ago during a slow left turn. I reset the PCM and it hasn't happened since. I do think that the problem will repeat itself. Some have mentioned here that the most common reason is a bad or loose wheel bearing. Try to tighten those up before you do anything else. Is your car out of warranty?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:37 PM

thanks I will try these ideas, and post results later!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 PM

One of your wheel sensors has gone bad. I had the same thing happen and have talked to someone else who has had three of them replaced. The sensor is part of the wheel hub assembly and the part runs close to $300 bucks!! I got lucky as it went while still under warrenty. Have the codes read from the computer and it will tell you which side is bad. Also be cautious as your anti lock braking system will not function until you have the sensor replaced. One more thing...when you see the old one, you will find three holes in it that are different sizes. Rust will build up on the back of the rotor where these holes meet the rotor. If the rotor is'nt cleaned and put onto the new hub alighning these holes as it was on the old hub...it won't sit true and will warp the rotor. Also be sure that whoever does the job does'nt over torque your wheel if you have aluminum. They should only be torqued to 100 foot lbs or the rim will become warped also.