Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Traction Control Issue

My traction control warning light comes on intermittently when the car first starts. After it's warm and running, the problem goes away until the car sits and cools down again. It's not related at all to key cycles.

Is this the TCM, or something else entirely? I ask because of the apparent relationship to engine temperature. Also, if it is the TCM, where is it located, and is this an easy DIY replacement? It looks like about a $200 part new, and I don't care to get electronics from the boneyard.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

Oh, and the ABS light doesn't come on at all.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Before looking to replace any parts, I would see if you can find someone with a GM Tech II that can read the codes from the EBCM (ABS computer). Most scan tools only read codes from the PCM, the GM Tech II can read codes from all the car computers, I believe so can some other higher grade scan devices (like Snap-On).

If you can get the code, most likely GM has some diagnostics that can be done to isolate what is wrong.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is weird that you get traction control and not ABS, which leads me to think it might be a sensor fault, but not enough to trip the ABS light too.

I second the idea of getting it read to see what sensor is throwing the car for a loop. If it was the wiring harness to the tires, it should throw every light at you.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member

FYI, this seems to have been a foreshadowing of the misfire on cylinder 1. It hasn't reoccurred since I changed the plug.