Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Different axle than listed

Old 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Different axle than listed

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L non supercharged engine, i have a small leak in the passenger side axle. I ordered a new part for the SS, however it doesn't fit, it's larger in diameter than what can fit.

I had the same axle changed 5 years ago, and recalled the same issue. So is it possible they built my car with a LS axle instead of the SS axle? I though SS had the same axle, just the supercharged version was beefier, or am I mistaken. I'm hoping to order the correct part and fix this leak.

I was hoping it was just a misaligned c-clip in the axle but that seems to be where it should be in the axle, so I'm going to try to replace the gasket and the axle and hope that works. IS there anything I should be looking for inside the transmission knuckle that might be the cause of the leak?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 PM

What's leaking? If it's the axle itself, you'll see thick grease flung everywhere, usually on the control arm.. when my passenger side leaked it found its way all the way up to the underside of the hood. If it's trans fluid, there is a seal in the trans where the axle slides in.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree something does not seem right with the axle sizes. Are you saying you physically compared the recently removed axle with the new one and could see a size difference? I would hope you had the correct part sold to you, even though you mention the same problem years before.

If I recall the S/C axle is the same diameter just a touch longer and will not seat the C-clip into the N/A housing and therefore leak tranny fluid.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xpage
I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L non supercharged engine, i have a small leak in the passenger side axle. I ordered a new part for the SS, however it doesn't fit, it's larger in diameter than what can fit.

I had the same axle changed 5 years ago, and recalled the same issue. So is it possible they built my car with a LS axle instead of the SS axle? I though SS had the same axle, just the supercharged version was beefier, or am I mistaken. I'm hoping to order the correct part and fix this leak.

I was hoping it was just a misaligned c-clip in the axle but that seems to be where it should be in the axle, so I'm going to try to replace the gasket and the axle and hope that works. IS there anything I should be looking for inside the transmission knuckle that might be the cause of the leak?
Maybe a picture or 2 might help so we can see what you are talking about .Takes 2 seconds with your phone. Herman

Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's transmission fluid that is leaking. The original was replaced due to a ripped boot losing grease.

I saw several different sizes of axle that vary slightly, though some can be ruled out due to different # of splines, i know i have 33 outboard, though I didn't count the inboard (think it is 39).

Current axle (fits, small leak)
https://ibb.co/b6j7pG

Ordered axle (too thick to fit in) - napa NMD 949025
https://ibb.co/kPcoww

Looks similar, though the napa seems a touch longer on the input shaft with the splines, though i couldn't get it to fit and or get tapped into the transmission housing. Not sure if i had to have the c-clip in a certain orientation, will be annoyed if i have ot pay for something i can do myself.

thanks for the help

Old 01-20-2018, 01:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xpage
It's transmission fluid that is leaking. The original was replaced due to a ripped boot losing grease.

I saw several different sizes of axle that vary slightly, though some can be ruled out due to different # of splines, i know i have 33 outboard, though I didn't count the inboard (think it is 39).

Current axle (fits, small leak)
https://ibb.co/b6j7pG

Ordered axle (too thick to fit in) - napa NMD 949025
https://ibb.co/kPcoww

Looks similar, though the napa seems a touch longer on the input shaft with the splines, though i couldn't get it to fit and or get tapped into the transmission housing. Not sure if i had to have the c-clip in a certain orientation, will be annoyed if i have ot pay for something i can do myself.

thanks for the help
Broke the passenger side axle in Calif. and had to get back to Utah. The replacement axle input side was a bit longer and the C-clip would not seat. The shop had to cut the length back about 1/8", clean up the splines teeth, then it fit. The C-clip now seated properly and I was able to get back home.

Search this Thread