Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction Control Comes On - No Reason

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Default Traction Control Comes On - No Reason

I have a 2007 Monte Carlo LT. I noticed that my Traction Control System is coming on from time to time when I make turns and start to accelerate (dry days and no REAL loss of traction is occurring). This is most noticable when the car has been sitting for more than a couple hours. However, once in a while I will notice even after I have been driving for a little while (again making a turn and accelerating). I found a few sites where people describe this problem with Impalas. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue? If so, how did you handle it?

I took it to my local dealership and of course could not duplicate the problem, so they claim there is nothing they can do to help me. They said no codes showing up the DIC means it is working. I found an article that indicates it is getting a false signal due to a stretching wire harness attached to the wheel/hub, but the system is responding properly to a false signal. I only have about 600 miles left on my warranty so I am concerned its going to go out after it expires.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Usually that is exactly what is happening. It is pulling on the connector too hard. Try taking the connector apart and check for corrosion. Maybe some contact cleaner. I believe you can bend the bracket slightly to help with that, also.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Mine does this too, pretty random though as far as how often. But when it does happen it's when I go to leave after the car has been sitting for a while. So far it's only been happening on that first acceleration.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks for both replies. I ended up going back to the dealership and talked with another service tech. He took a ride with me and it did act up for him to see. He informed the technician who was going to work on the car. The tech said no codes or errors came up, but based on past experience with this issue, it pointed to the harness connectors. He replaced both the left and right side connectors and noted the service ticket as water intrusion to the connectors. This appears to have solved the problem. I read a lot of comments online from Impala owners who complain of this issue. This is apparently a common issue for both these types of cars. Some owners posted that cleaning the contacts solved their issue. Perhaps when my warranty runs out and it comes up again, I will try cleaning the connections.