Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

trac control problems

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Default trac control problems

anybody out there have anyproblems with trac control system?mine all of a sudden is acting up..light comes on.abs light on also.going to dealer tomm.with it...?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Yes, I just joined in need of help with the same problem I'm still doing some searching, but if your lucky it will just be a loose connection to one of your front wheel assemblies, or the connection of the ABS pump just below and to the right of your master cylinder. It has brake lines going into it with a massive clip on the front. I checked all my connections out this weekend and all those lights keep coming on. Most likely a sensor needs to be replaced in my case, once one goes out the whole system just shuts down. Mine started out gradually and progressively got worse, it wasn't instant. It used to only happen in the morning when my brakes had morning dew on them for the first stop or two in the morning. I'm gonna get my ride scanned when I go home next week. Lemme know what the dealer says to you.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Rip off the wheel. Unplug the wires going to the sensor, make sure they're not filled with water or dirt.

Spray some contact cleaner on the sensor.

Worked for me. Well, at least the lights and the dinging stopped coming on.

I still hear a clicking noise when I brake though (ABS), so I'll have to get that fixed. But I can live with that for a while.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

There is no replacing the 'sensor' on the wheels. The sensor is built into the wheel bearing. You'll need to replace the whole wheel bearing assembly. My 2001 SS is doing the same thing. Was occasional during rainy dya but it fails now as soon as the cars gets turned on. I replaced the driver side a few years back (TRW Bearing w/ speed sensor = $125. Installed it myself.) because the bearing was making noise when I would turn slightly off center on the highway. For me, I bet the passenger side is original and my ride has 128k miles on it now. Those wear items won't last forever.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 AM

I guess I got lucky here, I had this problem for about 3 months and only when it was wet. Now, it never happens and its been about 6 months since the last time it did. I was told it was somthing to do with the hub assembly though.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The wheel hub has to connect to something somewhere, there's wires and connections, sometimes they go bad / get dirty.

Just check all the wiring before you start replacing hubs