Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

timing belt / valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Default timing belt / valves

I have a 95 w/3.4, the timing belt went out and i had it replaced. Now the car starts rough and sounds like a diesel! They thought it could be the tensioner and pulleys so I had those replaced too but it still sounds terrible. I have heard that when the timing belt on these vehicles breaks, it will bend the valves.I am already up to almost $600in work so far... is it worthinvestigating more? or should i spend $1500 and get a new motor put in?Also whatare my optionsfor a new motor?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Default RE: timing belt / valves

Hi `Heather, from Sandusky, Ohio
and
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
[:-]
Sorry to read that you are having problems with your
Monte Carlo.
How many miles are on your Monte Carlo ?
How is the transmission & the rest of your car ?
Who did the work on your Monte ?
Was it a certified Chevymechanic ?
How long have you had your Monte ?
Do you know how it was maintained ?
Please post more infor, and I'm sure that several of our
expert member's will respond to your problem.
Please be patience, and Good Luck to you.
`Space

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM

it has 164,000 miles
transmission is good, everything else running good, had almost everything replaced in this car over the past7 years.
i work for a gm dealership and we have a gm certified shop so the head mechanics there looked at it...
i have had it for almost7 years now and i have worked for the dealership for almost 8 years now and they have done all of the work on it.. i do all i can to keep it maintained as faras oil changes and general maintenance are concerned..

i appreciate any advice anyone has!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: hmruthe

it has 164,000 miles
transmission is good, everything else running good, had almost everything replaced in this car over the past7 years.
i work for a gm dealership and we have a gm certified shop so the head mechanics there looked at it...
i have had it for almost7 years now and i have worked for the dealership for almost 8 years now and they have done all of the work on it.. i do all i can to keep it maintained as faras oil changes and general maintenance are concerned..

i appreciate any advice anyone has!!!
Hi Heather,
What did your GM Certified Mechanic's tell you after
they looked at your Monte ? ? ?
What was their advise to you ?
If you work for the dealership & surrounded by trained
personnel that can view/listen/check out your Monte, I
think you should be able to get good advise from them ?
They should be able to tell you `if you have bent valves, etc.?
Did they do the work on replacing the timing belt ?
Does their work have a warranty ?
Are you just look'in for a 2nd opinion ?
You could rebuilt your engine, you could put a 3.8L into
your Monte ?
Again, I look forward to your future posts.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

I don't know...It's 13 yrs. old, 164,000 miles....If it is a bent valve or two or maybe all 24? LOL...in all seriousness, if you are not in a position to buy a new car or a new used ('06-'07) You can find '02-'05 Monte Carlos with low mileage and 3800's for a good price. Here is a link (I hope it works) For NADA pricing guidelines on an '05 MC LSbase, LT andMCSS Fully loaded so it gives you an idea of what you could expect. I put both vehicles with 40,000 miles on them.

Monte Carlo LS Base: $9,200 - $11,125
Monte CarloLT (Non Supercharged)Loaded: $11,850 - $14,125
Monte Carlo SS (Supercharged) Loaded: $15,475 - $18,125

I don't know your financial situation and you work at a dealership so you probably have a good idea of what the vehicles are selling for, but I just wanted to throw this post out there for you. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM

ill even seel ya mine for the right price LOL
but it would be cheaper to just replace the car or the motor then to continue to throw money in to one that is not doign so good as it is

Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Your head Mechanic should know if you bent a valve or not ... normally after a timing belt failure the first move upon replacing the belt is to check the timing marks and do a compression test.

The compression test will tell you what to do with that engine. If it passes the compression test, you need to have it tuned and timed. If it fails the compression test ... with all thost miles on it ... I'd be looking for the right words to say:

Good Bye!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM

A cylinder leakage test should be performed. This is the best way to tell whether a valve is bent or not. A compression test is different than a leakage test.A compression test will tell if you have low compression,but will not indicate the cause. When a leakage test is performed the technician is able to pinpoint the cause of the leak exactly. I have replaced a few timing belts on the 24 valve 3.4 engine.It is very easy to have the timing of at least one of the cams incorrect if your not very careful on the setup. The way you describe how your engine runs is possibly one of the camshafts not being timed correctly. Been there before!!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Again `Steve
Member -BowTieTech-,
Your knowledge is appreciated.
Thanks for being a contributing member to the MCF
I keep learning from posts like yours.
Thank You for posting/sharing.
We appreciate.....4-Sure.
Wish you a `Happy,
`Space