Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Thermostat or Temp Sensor or both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, DEX is not going to damage anything. It needs flushed regularly (like most people neglect to do with the green stuff).

P0420 is normally a code related to the rear O2 sensor and the health of the cat. Granted, it may also depend on engine temp and if the t-stat was messing with the engine temp, it could have caused the PCM to believe their was an issue.

Personally, I would wait to see if it trips a code again. Until then, problem solved.
OK well the P0420 came back today. I have put in a new thermostat from when I had both P0128 and P0420 codes a few weeks back. I'm wondering if it was the coolant temp sensor all along?

The common denominator between these two codes was the coolant temp sensor.

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
A damaged or failed oxygen sensor (HO2S)
Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly
The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe
Retarded spark timing
The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Oil contamination
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Faulty intake air temperature(IAT) sensor
So now I only have the P0420 sensor at this time back but I'm wondering if I should swap out that coolant temp sensor? Or is there more diagnostics I should focus on? Those sensors are not real expensive.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone? So what would be the most likely cause of this P0420 code returning? I'm planning on getting a free exhaust leak check to eliminate that but than what would be the likely culprit? I'm thinking the coolant temp sensor?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like stated earlier, the P0420 is actually a converter code. Other things can cause it, but it could actually be the converter too. Maybe try a product like CataClean? If the temp sensor isn't giving erratic readings, I'd say its fine.

I like the direction this thread took regarding Dex-cool. I'm so tired of people blaming it for everything. I always said that DexCool, if exchanged at the same interval recommended for green coolant, will never give you trouble. I still not convinced it is any different than green. There are so many products on the market (Prestone, Celsius) that are mixable with both, so how different can they be?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You may be on the right track with the coolant temp sensor, but if you are losing coolant (and it is internal) coolant could be getting into the cylinder(s). Unspent chemicals (like glycol) can enter the exhaust stream and coat the cat converter. The result is a P0420 code. I think I would backtrack a bit and conduct a cooling system pressure test and/or a cylinder leak down test to make sure you don't have a bad intake or head gasket.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Like stated earlier, the P0420 is actually a converter code. Other things can cause it, but it could actually be the converter too. Maybe try a product like CataClean? If the temp sensor isn't giving erratic readings, I'd say its fine.

I like the direction this thread took regarding Dex-cool. I'm so tired of people blaming it for everything. I always said that DexCool, if exchanged at the same interval recommended for green coolant, will never give you trouble. I still not convinced it is any different than green. There are so many products on the market (Prestone, Celsius) that are mixable with both, so how different can they be?
I actually have a new catalytic converter that isn't even a year old installed. I had it installed back in June or July of 2013.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
You may be on the right track with the coolant temp sensor, but if you are losing coolant (and it is internal) coolant could be getting into the cylinder(s). Unspent chemicals (like glycol) can enter the exhaust stream and coat the cat converter. The result is a P0420 code. I think I would backtrack a bit and conduct a cooling system pressure test and/or a cylinder leak down test to make sure you don't have a bad intake or head gasket.
Ugh I think you might be onto something actually. I have been losing coolant and its winter here and I don't see any leaking so I'm wondering "where" the coolant is going.

I was dreading the answer but I think I might know now.

Would Cataclean work for this issue?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

CataClean would only be a patch and the converter would foul again unless you fix the internal leaking. Some rad sealer might help. Some people hate rad sealer

Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
CataClean would only be a patch and the converter would foul again unless you fix the internal leaking. Some rad sealer might help. Some people hate rad sealer
Yeah I've actually used Bar's with great success. I have used it in about 3 different cars starting with a '91 Sunbird, a '92 Talon TSI Turbo, and a '00 Malibu. All had some type of radiator leak and it actually worked in all of them with no plugged heater cores or ill effects.

I'll probably end up trying some.