Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): PLEASE HELP! 83 Monte Tail Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Default PLEASE HELP! 83 Monte Tail Light Issue

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
MY right rear brake light blew out so i replaced it but now neither the brake light or turn signal lights work and heres where it gets super funky...

When the brake is applied the right tag light goes out and the brake and parking bulbs dont do anything. even with the lights on when the brake is applied they dont do anything. with the hazards on EVERY light flashes but all of the bulbs in the right rear stay dim and barely blink. I have checked/cleaned all of my grounds. I have pulled all of the rear bulbs, cleaned the sockets and the bulbs and applied di electric grease in them as they were before. still nothing has helped. my friend is a mechanic at a local shop and he absolutley could not figure this out. i am unemployed at the moment and have NO money for new parts. I am hoping that its something silly but weve had no luck. we even checked the entire rear harness hoping that maybe a wire rubbed through but still nothing. YOU GUYS ARE MY LAST HOPE! I am at whits end and still racking my brain trying to figure this out. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM

Check all the grounds

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 83Monte
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
MY right rear brake light blew out so i replaced it but now neither the brake light or turn signal lights work and heres where it gets super funky...

When the brake is applied the right tag light goes out and the brake and parking bulbs dont do anything. even with the lights on when the brake is applied they dont do anything. with the hazards on EVERY light flashes but all of the bulbs in the right rear stay dim and barely blink. I have checked/cleaned all of my grounds. I have pulled all of the rear bulbs, cleaned the sockets and the bulbs and applied di electric grease in them as they were before. still nothing has helped. my friend is a mechanic at a local shop and he absolutley could not figure this out. i am unemployed at the moment and have NO money for new parts. I am hoping that its something silly but weve had no luck. we even checked the entire rear harness hoping that maybe a wire rubbed through but still nothing. YOU GUYS ARE MY LAST HOPE! I am at whits end and still racking my brain trying to figure this out. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Heres the first thing pops in my head...
I would consider either cleaning the wires on the brake control switch that runs off the break pedal. or replace the brake switch. Also, I would replace the turn signal flasher. The emergency flasher and the turn signal flasher are 2 separate flashers... Or, try switching them and see if the same thing happens. (maybe..there both bad?)
You could also check all the wires in the back of the fuse block for poor or rusted connections.

Hope this helps..
I'm sure someone else will chime in with other ideas.