Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

thermostat going bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default thermostat going bad

my check engine light would come on an for it stared out like 1 a month then like 1 every couple week and i new my buddy laptop could tell me the issue and i drive my monte when i go home from my college on the weekend and my monte would turn the light off so he couldn't read but we finally got it and my thermostat is getting stuck so time for a new one anyone now how much they run and how hard they would be to put it in my shelf

Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The thermostat is a fairly inexpensive part. Changing it is not too hard. Here are some basic instructions I found online. Also check youtube for a video or two for your specific engine, it may help to see it done.

Park vehicle on a hard level surface. Set parking brake and open hood. Place hood prop rod into position. Allow engine to cool.

Drain coolant. Put on your safety glasses. Place a bucket under the front of the vehicle and below the radiator's drain petcock. Remove the radiator cap and open petcock and drain approximately one to two gallons of coolant into the bucket. Close petcock.

Remove the thermostat. Follow the top radiator hose from the radiator to the engine. Loosen the hose clamp with a screwdriver until the hose can be pulled from the fitting it is connected to. Wipe up any spilled anti-freeze with a rag. Remove the thermostat housing by removing its bolts with a socket of the right size and socket wrench. Lift the housing from its mounting location by applying pressure. If necessary, pry it up gently with the screwdriver. With the housing removed, lift the thermostat out with your fingers.

Replace the thermostat. Scrape the old gasket from the housing and engine block with a gasket scraper or putty knife. Wipe the area clean with a rag. Position the new thermostat in place, apply a thin layer of gasket sealer on both sides of gasket, place the gasket in place and replace the housing. Replace the bolts and tighten with a socket wrench. Push the radiator hose back into position on the housing outlet and tighten the clamp with a screwdriver.

Replace the coolant. Fill the radiator with coolant. Start the engine and turn on the heater. Allow the engine to reach operating temperature and top off the radiator with coolant. Replace the radiator cap. Remove the bucket from under the front of the car and dispose of coolant in an approved manner (typically auto parts stores will dispose of it for free). Close the hood and turn the engine off. Re-check coolant level after driving vehicle the first time. Top off with more coolant, if needed.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:19 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

thx a lot