Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Temperature Gauge Issue- HOW I FIXED IT 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 AM
Default Temperature Gauge Issue- HOW I FIXED IT 2000 SS

First off, thanks to all you amazing Monte Carlo owners out there. I cant fix my car without you all!

I have had a very strange problem recently. My Temperature gauge would STICK in the down position when I turned the engine on. This would not alllow the AC to run cool (which SUCKS in Fort Lauderdale, FL) I figure I needed to change the thermometer and maybe the coolant thermometer...Now when I say I CHANGED them, no my little brother- the ASE certified mechanic- changed them...none the less...So, we changed them out a few weeks back. The monte was rockin and rollin! Well, I drove with my wife to the keys and go to turn over the motor and the temp gauge sticks down...not a fun 2 hour ride without AC...bottom line, we figure the sensors were bad so we replaced them...temporary fix again...what we didnt realize is that the computer system needed to be kicked in the butt..We scanned the motor and found the computer knew the right temp of the engine...but the code P0128 came up...THE COMPUTER NEEDED TO BE RESET OF THE CODES THE ENTIRE TIME!!! we replaced everything for nothing...the INSTANT we reset the codes the temperature gauge rose like it just took Viagara. COLD AC...everything runnin sweet...for now...

good luck to all with this problem...REMEMBER TO RESET THE CODES!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Default RE: Temperature Gauge Issue- HOW I FIXED IT 2000 SS

My 2001 SS does that, however I bought it over the winter and up in Massachusetts it's ok not having the AC right now[8D] But great info now for when that time comes and we get a heat wave up here! I was just considering buying a new temp gauge and putting it in the pillar mount.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM

thanks for the information russellUCF! your going to save some of us some time and money!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Yes I still am having that same problem and I too have done all of those replacements. But it does every once in awhile get unstuck from 0 degrees, it seems like when it gets warmer. Now when you say you rest the computer did you unplug the battery or have them reset it with the scanner?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM

I was having the same problem with my 2000 SS. Replaced the temp sensor once, had the code reset, seemed fine for about two weeks, then it went out again. I had a 180 degree thermostat in the car at the time. Now instead of getting the sensor from autozone i went to murray's. I got a 195 degree thermostat, new temp sensor, and flushed my coolant system, and replaced with normal green antifreeze, rather than dexcool. I did it a week ago and havent had a problem since. I didnt even have to have the code reset to get the sensor to work, i just pulled the battery cable, so i hope i solved the problem. I believe i either had a bad thermostat, or i got another piece of junk sensor from autozone, which wouldnt be the first time i had that happen. That duralast crap they sell is just that, crap!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm having the same problem .... HOW DO U RESET THE CODES ON THE CAR? I DONT HAVE MY FACTORY RADIO IN MY CAR ANYMORE NOR IS IT HOOKED UP....

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Same problem with my wifes Monte. So you just had to replace the temperature sensor and reset the pcm. How is the temp sensor linked to the ac?