Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

tail lights tinted

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Default tail lights tinted

i did mine myself if anyone wants any information on how to tint and remove the tint just let me know!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Default Tail lights tinted

I'd like information on tinting - can it really be undone if you don't like the result? Where do you get the tint supplies? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 PM

if you go to ur closest hobby shop u can buy the spray tint for the RC car windows...it works great and comes out with a semi glossy finish...

ur other alternative is to buy the VHT nightshades lens spray can which comes out flat. once their coated and dried i took 2000 grit sand paper and used it bassically as a rag to wet sand the paint a dat bit. (puting no pressure on the paper just gliding it over the paint) then hit it with about 2 or 3 coats of clear spray paint. again wet sand gently then id use 3M plastic rubbing compound and rub it in harshly so the lens is nice and shiny...theres plenty of videos on youtube for it!

AS TO GET IT OFF:

i had my lights tinted but needed the tint off for inspection so i took the lights off laid them down and poured a fair amount of acetone to cover the lens...then waited about 5 to 8 seconds and wiped with a clean terry cloth....came right off

Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM

I did mine this summer, came out perfect... just pulled back the carpet, then unscrewed the 3 screws thats holding the lights in. unhooked the wires,then bought transparent black tail light spray. i wiped it clean, then sprayd it, recommend to spray in calm weather or a enclosed space... sprayed to my specs came out good... no pics.. yet

Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 AM

If you do decide to use VHT Niteshades I would recommend only putting on up to 3 coats. Any more and hardly any light will show through during the day. At night though they look almost completely stock. Just search "How to tint your tail lights with Niteshades" on YouTube. There's a great 2 part How-To on how to do this correctly.

I've had a few cops behind me since I tinted mine and I've never been pulled over (for my tail lights anyway). So the only reason to take it off is if you don't like it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

VHT wont come out flat if done right. And if you mess it up you can just buff it to a high gloss. That's what i did with mine and it was really nice.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
VHT wont come out flat if done right. And if you mess it up you can just buff it to a high gloss. That's what i did with mine and it was really nice.
Yep that's also what I did. I cleaned and buffed mine several different times to get the high gloss shine that I wanted. Just lightly wetsand, compound, and wipe clean with microfiber polishing cloth until you're satisfied.