Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Suggestions for changing O2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Suggestions for changing O2 Sensor?

Hello again everyone,

Spring break is coming up and we all know what that means! Finally doing that work that we have been putting off on the ol Monte!

2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

I have been searching through the forums here off and on for awhile about these oxygen sensors. I get code DTC P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2 (along with a couple of others) constantly, even after I remove it with a code scanner. I understand this to be the upstream sensor, located right in the middle of the car, in the back of the engine bay. I took a look at it when I changed my plugs a couple months ago.

According to other posts here, I bought this sensor:
Amazon.com: ACDelco AFS109 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

And this socket:
Amazon.com: Lisle 12100 Oxygen Sensor Socket: Automotive

That being said, I think a good hour or two should have this bad boy changed out. Do you guys have any suggestions/advice? How much of a pain in the rear was this fix?

Thanks again!!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will want to rock the engine forward. You will need a good set of extensions. Mine took a lot of force with a cheater bar to even break free.

Those links that you grabbed, were they from me?

Remember to unplug your battery for an hour, even if it doesn't take you an hour to do the job. And remember to unplug the o2 sensor before you try to remove it so the wire doesn't get twisted up.

The job HONESTLY wasn't bad. Getting yourself situated and breaking the o2 sensor was the hardest part.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You will want to rock the engine forward. You will need a good set of extensions. Mine took a lot of force with a cheater bar to even break free.

Those links that you grabbed, were they from me?

Remember to unplug your battery for an hour, even if it doesn't take you an hour to do the job. And remember to unplug the o2 sensor before you try to remove it so the wire doesn't get twisted up.

The job HONESTLY wasn't bad. Getting yourself situated and breaking the o2 sensor was the hardest part.
Thanks Chibi! I believe the links are from you...I've had the O2 sensor saved in my Monte favorites folder just waiting and I saw the socket as a suggested item and remembered it in the discussions I had read

I could only assume that the hardest part will be busting that old one out (with some 130k miles and 12 years on it). Other than using the breaker bar/lot of presoaking PB Blaster, any other suggestions to loosen it up a little/make the job easier?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM

15 Year Member

You can run the car until it's warm and then let it cool down for a little bit so the exhaust pipe gets a little hotter. But if you do that, I wouldn't go spraying flammable things on the sensor and be careful while touching other warm components

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

See, I changed my upstream O2 while the car was cold (sprayed PB Blaster on it ahead of time and the day of the change). I don't have the California smog pump and I was able to change it in like 20 minutes with some extensions and a pipe on my ratchet (no need to rock the engine). One "cheat" I found for removing the old one.... If you are dead set to replacing it, cut the cord and put a deep well socket on it. This improves the chances of braking it free with ease.

BTW - I know Chibi and I differ a little on needing to rock the engine forward for this. After seeing his Monte at the GM Nats last year and the smog stuff on it, I do see where rocking the engine would help. If you don't have smog stuff on the 3800, it should be a breeze.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 03-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
See, I changed my upstream O2 while the car was cold (sprayed PB Blaster on it ahead of time and the day of the change). I don't have the California smog pump and I was able to change it in like 20 minutes with some extensions and a pipe on my ratchet (no need to rock the engine). One "cheat" I found for removing the old one.... If you are dead set to replacing it, cut the cord and put a deep well socket on it. This improves the chances of braking it free with ease.

BTW - I know Chibi and I differ a little on needing to rock the engine forward for this. After seeing his Monte at the GM Nats last year and the smog stuff on it, I do see where rocking the engine would help. If you don't have smog stuff on the 3800, it should be a breeze.
I do not have the smog stuff, but having rocked the engine to change the plugs a couple of months ago, it will definitely give me a lot more room to work with (and only takes like 2 minutes) so I will probably go ahead and do that.

I will keep that in mind about the wires though hopefully it won't be too hard to break

Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM

10 Year Member

Chibi and I had a good discussion at the Monte Nats about rocking the engine forward (I have yet to worry about needing to even try that). But he too said it takes just a couple of seconds to do.

I am also lucky to not have the smog stuff Chibi has. Eh, I won't discuss the antics of that

Bottom line, it's good to know if things get ugly that you can gain some clearance.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Hey guys, with some help from you guys and a little luck (and maybe a little PB Blaster too ) the old sensor is out and the new AC Delco sensor is in!

For some reason, the old sensor was a Bosch...the previous owner must have had something to do with that

I had the battery undone for 3+ hours before getting around to the job, so I'd say everything should be good to go!

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

15 Year Member

Glad to hear it went well!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 AM

10 Year Member

Excellent! Hopefully this resolved some of the code you were getting!!