Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

strange tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default strange tire wear

ok her eis the background on this. i had the itromedate shaft replaced on my car a while ago. they suposedely did a front end alinment at this time to make sure it was all ok again. but the steering wheel was off to one side. Now i relise that i have most likely learned to compinsate for this. but i havent knocked the allinment out of the car it still gose straigth when you take off from a start or even slowing down in normal conditions and testing alingment per destructions.

But i have a strange tire wear now. on the front two tires the inside and out side treads are wearing out. Now i have rotated them at least once since this has happend.

but i have only went from front to back not side to side with them

they are within speck for tire presure and have stayed that way since i owned the car. ( i check this at least twice a month they are always at the right presure accourding tot he tires and also with in a pound or tow of each other. so i will level them back off to be the same all the way around.

what i need help with is figureing out why they are wearing this way.

sorry so long but want to make sure i said all of the stuff needed to make a good guess at this.

Thanks ahead of time

Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: strange tire wear

sounds like tie rods to me, that usually wears out the edges of the tires, usually only 1 edge though not 2.

but i think it would be tie rods

you might want to have your ball joints checked too, while your checking the tie rods

if you do have to have them changed get MOOG stuff, not dealer stuff

for you info here's the part #'s for all the steering and suspension parts

outer tie rods ES3459
inner tie rods EV195 (very rarely need to change these)

lower ball joints K5331
Sway bar link kit K5342 (this is only like 5 bucks, so dont pay too much)

Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well if i need to change this it is coverd under warrenty at least till the middel of next month if it gose off the day i bought the car. other wise the end of this week.

but it is funny how they changed that and now this has happend.

need to figure out somethign soon. Thanks for the input on this.
OH and it is on a 2003 monte carlo SS
not sure i put that in the last post or not.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Replacing an intermediate steering shaft does not require the car to be re-aligned, as it doesn't change any of the alignment angles. Usually edge wear is associated with toe, but that would only have an effect on one edge of the tire, not both. However, camber can also create edge wear. If both wheels were toed out and both wheels had excessive negative camber, this could cause wear on both edges of the tire (though even then it isn't likely). What PSI are you running in the tires? Having them under inflated would also cause that sort of wear pattern. But you said they are all equal, so even if you had them too low, the rears would be showing similar wear.

I would get it aligned. Before they align it, they will (or should) check the suspension for any loose components, as you can't do a proper alignment on a car with a tie rod end that has play, for example.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

ok thanks. as far as the tire presure gose i belive on the tires i have it is 45psi cold. and i run it at 42 cold so there is room fo rheat expantion.
but like i said they are all equal and the rears look perfect for the wear pattren on them.

I will see if i can get it checked on base with someone that can do alinments and see if they can find some thing wrong with it.

I also have a pop in the wheel but it is not the iss. it has been this way since they replaced it and i have taken it in to them several times for it they dont even look at it they say they cant feel it .
but if you turn the wheels from a dead stop it will pop when you start to take off so it tells me something is lose or worn in there . but i cant find it myself when i have looked for it.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:45 PM

Wow, 42 PSI is more than enough. I think the car calls for 30 if I am not mistaken. If anything, 42 would be considered over inflated and would cause the tires to wear more in the center.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

you would think it would cause it to be on the out side but it is not doing that.

but according to the side fo the tires they are rated to be at 45psi. so im actually below presure on them .

So i went to 45 with them . and figured i would see if it levels out some.

but actually newer tires are running higer presures then older versions of the same ones. so make sure ya check before you fill

Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 AM

The rating on the side of the tire is maximum pressure, not necessarily recommended pressure. The car calls for 30 PSI I believe. There should be a sticker with recommended tire pressures, either inside the driver's door jamb or on the underside of the trunk lid I believe.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 AM

I keep mine @ 32 PSI...

Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

the rating that your talking of is on the end of the door found it today and glanced at it due to it pooring but havent read it yet.
I will check when the monsoon were in gose away.

Quick Reply: strange tire wear