Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Strange issue, Service Traction Control 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Default Strange issue, Service Traction Control 2007

Hey guys, been reading here a lot, first time poster.

I have a 2007 Monte Carlo, it has the weirdest issue that started about a year ago.

when I am completely stopped (in park or any gear) and am sitting there long enough the "Service Traction Control" message pops up and the light comes on (not the ABS light), if I move the car a foot or 2 the message goes away, as soon as I stop sometimes itll pop back on instantly, or it may take a while, or just not happen at all.

It happened 4 times in a drive through today, but not at the stop lights on the way there, nor when I was waiting to turn out.

It didnt really concern me until on my way back to my office I heard the 3 dings, looked down to notice it was doing it while I was driving, but it was so fast at coming on and going off I almost didnt get to read the message.

Does anyone have any thougths or suggestions? the system has been working fine when im on slick roads and such since this started.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

sounds like whatever sensor it is that detects the need for traction control is loose or getting pinched.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:45 PM

I am planning on breaking out the jacks tonight and getting the front off the ground to take a look, it jsut seems weird that with the exception of 3 seconds it has only done it while completely stopped

Old 01-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a minor accident about a year ago that caused my sensor to come slightly loose. On top of your driver side strut tower there are a number of electrical connections that can come loose. I would unplug those, make sure that they are clean, and then plug them back in. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Hmm, I didnt put 2 and 2 together but right before it started i was read-ended at a traffic light, no damage to speak of, ill take a look, thank you!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM

well poo

this "problem" is so sporatic and seemingly random

So I got home and got to checking, one of the 2 connectors that goes into the TCS system seemed a little loose, but I popped them both off and cleaned the minor dirt off the connectors, inspected the wires and all that good stuff, then got under each wheel and popped the connectors off, checked for dirt/grime and none were dirty inside or any of the wires damaged as best I can tell.

Started her up and went inside for a drink, let it run for 10 minutes in park. came back out, no warnings. so I took it for a drive around the block, making both left and right turns, accelerating in turns etc, behaved normally. got it back, backed it in to the same spot I worked on it in, put her in park and was gonna leave it running for a minute while I grabbed a smoke, before I could even open the door, ding ding ding, service TCS, no ABS light still, just tcs. so I put it in drive and inched it forward (we are talking inches as I could still close the garage door) and it goes out. so I stick it in park, get out leaving the door open so I could hear it (and I dont smoke in the car). 4 minutes go by and nothing, so I kill it and come report.

"problem" still exists, but seemingly only when stopped, suggestions?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry man. That was my best guess. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you a better suggestion. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM

oh dont be sorry, I really appreciate the help.

As long as it only does it when stopped I can live with it for another year. If it starts to effect driving, then I have a problem

I really appreciate it though.